Tropic Marin Pro Reef

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering what the average calc and alk measurements are on a fresh DI mix of ~1.025 mix of TM Pro Reef saltwater are with your kits.

Alk: 11.6
Calc: 440

..by my measurements. Can we get a baseline average and see how our test kits compare? BTW, those are Salifert readings. I'm wondering if that is accurate. Thanks.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I don't have anything to add to this thread but I'm very interested. I've been using Crystal Sea Salt in my tanks since day 1 and my LFS is going to no longer sell this brand as they have had trouble with the company. I have been looking at salts and found the Tropic Marine pro to have good reviews.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been told by a lfs owner who uses tropic marin that the pro reef tests out around 6.5, i us io myself

Weetabix7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer regular Tropic Marin.
It is my understanding from what I've read that Tropic Marin Pro has extra calcium in it, which tends to throw the alk off.

OP
OP
S

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm.. well according to my test kits I have high alk and calc! I hope we can come up with some numbers! :)

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use tmpr but i noticed after water changes i would get alge. That coupled with the price drove me away from it. There has to be some sort of standard we could test, some sort of known solution for alk cal and mag.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Tropic Marin after about a box I started to get diatoms and tested my water and had a high silica spike. I went back to RC and it went away.....Sorry it don't help you out much but just stating my experience.

OP
OP
S

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems any change to a system, especially adding different amounts of nutrients, will throw you into a mini cycle of algae/diatoms/etc. We use ProReef at the LFS with no such problems. I understand PR is loaded with suppliments requiring less adding of chemicals, which is why I chose it. However, I don't defend it or argue it as superior.. this thread was started to use TMPR as a standard for my test kits assuming the salt does not vary significantly from bucket to bucket.

Anyone using TMPR?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back