Trouble with ¿toadstool? Help/advice desired

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a small frag of a greenish toadstool leather (it was in the bargain bin and I don’t know the specifics on species, coloration, polyp length, if it’s even actually a toadstool, etc.) and after the first few days with it extending remarkably tiny and short polyps, it now has gone dormant, with brown spots developing where its polyps are/were. Is this just the way shedding mucous looks, or should I be concerned? I’m new to reefkeeping and don’t know leathers well. It’s in a low-flow area at the bottom of my tank, should I move it into higher flow? Has anyone seen spots like this before?

Thanks in advance, appreciate the help!

4677D987-C245-401B-B3A9-666ACAEE69B3.jpeg DD531ADA-04FF-436F-81D8-168822967596.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a small cutting, it will take time to heal.
Not to bright area, medium flow, find a spot and leave him.
If your water chemistry is good, he should shed in time.

it’s looks kinda like some Cyano on the rock. If it gets on the leather it won’t like that. See if you can blow it off the frag.

OP
OP
LegalReefer

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a small cutting, it will take time to heal.
Not to bright area, medium flow, find a spot and leave him.
If your water chemistry is good, he should shed in time.

it’s looks kinda like some Cyano on the rock. If it gets on the leather it won’t like that. See if you can blow it off the frag.
Thank you! Brown spots are gone today after blowing cyano away; maybe I blew the spots/cyano/slime off too? Thanks again!

Looks like maybe a cabbage leather. Hard to tell.
Yep, looking at pics of cabbage leathers and comparing polyps, I’m now 90% sure that’s what this little guy is. Thanks for the help!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Brown spots are gone today after blowing cyano away; maybe I blew the spots/cyano/slime off too? Thanks again!

Yep, looking at pics of cabbage leathers and comparing polyps, I’m now 90% sure that’s what this little guy is. Thanks for the help!
You just dont want to let any algae build up.
When he’s bigger, he’ll likely shed from time to time.

Back