Troylee's eco friendly build.....

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't need to blow the entire way through the heatsinks- part of the reason for using a highly heat conductive metal like aluminum is that even if you only cool one spot, the metal will balance out the temperature across it's entire length. So you don't need a fan that will create a large airflow over the entire heat sink, just one that's sufficient to get enough cooling, even if it's over a partial area.

agreed, but he is doing a single 5" over that stretch, def a no go and makes sense of the heat issues he is dealing with.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think 5'' isn't enough to blow through that? What do you suggest he needs to get that air flow... another 5'' on the other side to pull air through?

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think 5'' isn't enough to blow through that? What do you suggest he needs to get that air flow... another 5'' on the other side to pull air through?

due to the length of the tank I would say 3 fans spread evenly thru the fixture, if its a wider heat sink then to also place them staggered on the channels so each bank gets the most airflow possible. All fans blowing down onto the fixture.

(for others) Fans are fractions of a penny on the dollar to keep the fixture running longer.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it's wide open just wood around the sides... The page before this you can see it...

Good. Guess I missed that.

agreed, but he is doing a single 5" over that stretch, def a no go and makes sense of the heat issues he is dealing with.

I partially agree with you. The more fans, the better. However, a 5" fan, unless it's run very slowly, should be enough to cool the whole fixture (assuming that it's blowing down onto the fixture). He has a pretty significant heatsink, close to being big enough for passive cooling.

CJ

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a single 5" fan on one end laying face down blowing into the fins cools half of it nicely the other end still gets pretty warm... i will add another one today when i get home...;) i have a whole box full lol..

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for making me look like an @#$# ;) LOL. Guess I should go back to my day job!

CJ

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Troy,

Adding Optic will intensify the light source. However, the drawback is if you intensify it too much then the spot light effect can occur. If you are going the optics route you might want to try the 60 or 40 degree optics and mix them y putting the 60's in the middle and 40's on the outer edges. This should also increase your par levels.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 80s on the whole sha bang.... I saw bill has new optics and for what ever reason 70* are the best so I will prolly swap them out... Sorry cjo if I put the fan in the middle it just might do the trick but right now it's just on one side since the cord is to short....

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I was just kidding. I actually like it when I'm wrong, it's the best way to learn!

CJ

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one for the scrap books.... Not mine but I just built it for a friend mine is next now.... I'm really loving this tank besides the internal overflow taking up so much space...72"x30"x24"....
df5af5a4.jpg

cfb9af73.jpg

84821996.jpg

cc2f841f.jpg

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya my work truck ahahaha some day I will get around to painting it and fixing it up.... This other hobby I got takes up to much of my time lol..... And that's mommas tahoe on 24's in the driveway.... Wish I got to drive it ahahahahahah:(

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big change of plans here ahahahahah going a 60gal cube and calling it a day...;) sucks but it's what's best for me I'm tired of being married to these big tanks and having them eat up all my money I would rather enjoy than slave over my tank....:( gonna sell off all this crap starting next week or so and go simple and small with just a few prized pieces....1smile1 and buy me a new ratrod.... Ahahahahah

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So close to having it all done too. Get all that automation set up and it wont be nearly so much work.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man it was a hard desicion but I think I'm gonna be a lot happier and I know my wife will be ahahahahah.... Right now I spend every single extra dollar on my tank and all my time and it's rewarding don't get me wrong but after all the things I have went through in the last few months like exp that tank crash etc It just shed a whole different light on the hobby as a whole for me I actually stepped out of the box and looked at the big picture and realized I'm killing my self man!!!!! I have only a handful of corals that I'm head over heels about and they would fit in a nice nano..... I'm sure most of you have read how I miss my solana etc I think a 60gal cube with the best of the best would bring me just as much joy and only a 1/4 of the work and money..... I mean I'm thinking this little cube like I have always loved packed with just a hand full of chalices and sticks like rising sun, red dragon acro, grafted simplex, rhs delsol etc.... Just a extremely intense super bright "aka sexy tank!!!!!" ahahahahaha Thats for you Mikey I wanna be just like mike.... I mean I can easily put 10k in a aquapod and still be where I'm at right now ahahahahahah.....

Rhodes19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great things come in small packages. :) Plus, when you become a slave to your hobby, it stops being fun (benn there, done that). It sounds like you are making the right decision. Have fun with your new build. Oh, and the credo I live by "Happy wife, happy life". :D

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back