Troylee's eco friendly build.....

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right im doing it again one last time!!!!! New tank will be 180gal 72x24x24 " external coast to coast calflo over flow with bean animals dead silent failsafe overflow" "BOTH THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS!!!" I like this size the best for some reason or another.... Anywho with this build I wanna accomplish a few things one total automation!! "lazy reef keeper" and I want to save money every where possible....all in all i expect this 180gal sps reef to flourish on only 500 to 600 watts less than most peoples lighting fwiw.....
Equipment....
# 1 by using led lighting... my diy led fixture is compiled of 100 royal blue and 50 cool white cree 3w leds "BIG THANKS TO BILL @ WWW.REEFLEDLIGHTS.COM" supplemented with 2 vho bulbs i know there killing the whole idea but i love them sorry...
#2 mp 60's for flow 7500gph at 10-60 watts...
#3 return pump is a atb flow star 3200 runs at about 45 watts and pushes 3200gph..
#4 skimmer atb 1050 deluxe pulling 40 watts...
Edit: forgot my jbj auto top lol..
for automation i will be running a apex that will control both mp60's, my diy led fixture that will cover from moonlight's to sunrise to sunset with high noon blast etc.. possibilities are endless.... it will also control my bubble magnus dosing pumps i have the head unit "3part" and add on "4 part" for a total of 7 seven parts dosing...
dosing pumps will have
#1 calcium
#2 alk
#3 mag
#4 potassium
#5 strontium
#6 micro bacter 7
#7 vodka or coral amino... depends if i run the np pellets or not...
these will all be brightwell aquatic products i love them!!!!!!

Other equipment if needed would be a couple tlf reactors for carbon and gfo..If i run vodka i won't need the gfo but with the pellets i will since they only seem to knock out nitrates and not po4....
i will also be building a cabinet to house all my electronics, controllers, dosing pumps, vortec battery back up etc... it will be a seperate unit but match the stand and canopy and just look like a piece of furniture next to it...

The whole thing will be built by yours truly including the tank,sump, auto top off, 7 part dosing liquid holder, stand, power cabinet, led fixture,canopy, and anything else you could imagine lol.... im sure some of you have seen my builds or followed my threads this is gonna be the big one!!!! i never finished half of my builds besides the famous drop down tank...my current tank has been running about a year and is cool but i never finished skinning the stand etc..."kind of industrial looking":( anyways im looking forward to this build and future tank of the month...1smile1 oh yeah it will house sps only with the exception of highly valued or rare lps....
no pics yet but tomorrow i will start the tank...;) plenty of pics to come from the whole build including all the acrylic work on the tank sumps etc....
Debating on making a continuously water change program or not...."NOT A FAN OF WATER CHANGES GOING ALMOST A YEAR STRONG NOW WITHOUT CHANGING MY WATER":tongue:

Last edited:

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright! a high quality tank from a quality guy with quality corals...sounds like a good combo for success!

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am dieing to see this baby up and running. i know you have a sick coral list already and cant wait to see it all come together. i didnt know the atb pump was so efficient

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words guys I'm really looking forward to this one!!!!
It will also have very minimal rock scaping gonna be just a down right clean simple system...;)
My biggest motivation was my mp60s I wanna make Some waves and my current tank wouldn't be able to handle it...
This has been in the works for A couple months I just can't find the motivation any more my 3 kids wear me out!!!!
I'm hoping by starting this thread it gets my butt in gear... Normally I would have this knocked out in 4 days tops lol.. With commercials ahahahah just Like judge Judy 30 min lol..:tongue:

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Troy!! So you are planning having this completed by next week, right ?? Lol!! Sounds great I am looking forward to pics and maybe a video or two????

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank should be done close to this weekend or early next week... I'm hoping by next weekend to have it up and running maybe..."wife permitting" that would be tank, stand, sump, and hopefully my led lighting...1smile1
Which means I will still need my equipment cabinet and skinning of the stand etc... It should be operational but not complete by then...

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is fast! Make sure lots of pics and I want to see a video of the 60's

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should be a great build. Im pretty sure your capable of a tank of the month. Good luck with build bro and post lots of pics pls.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to do like you do to others!

PICTURES OR IT DID'NT HAPPEN LEE!!!!!!!

HAHAHA!,jk Lee!But I wanna see pictures soon!

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment shot and tank shot it's 4 big pieces of 3/4" thick acrylic happy now????
Ahahahah lol..
7f58e75d.jpg

20a515c3.jpg

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL,I was just giving you a hard time,LOL,but an acrylic shot would be nice,hahah!JK Lee!

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta clean all that mess up that's my routing table lol... I Got tools galore all over it prolly scratching my future tank up...:(

Ya,I understand,this is why we build a tool garage just for our tools and such,its so much nicer to be able to go there and not have any clutter and its all in its own place!

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man this is going to be sweet! Best dimensions, best equipment, gonna be the best tank period, just make sure you stock it with nothing but green and brown corals!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I can't wait to see this bad boy up and running!

I have just one question though, are you going to make it clam friendly?:tongue:

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup for sure!!!! Believe it or not my wife who hates the hobby with a Passion thanks to me, only liked my clams when I had them... My copperband took them out!!! Dang it I have no use for him now so he won't be making a appearance in my new tank..;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%

Back