Truck or SUV?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's false when it comes to drums, dirt and rocks get in them and take them out. They rust fiercely too. Their braking power is a joke, brake fade fast. ABS doesn't work well on drums. The only up side to drums is parking brake holding, that is it. Anyone that knows anything about brakes knows discs are 100x better in every way except parking brake.

Just telling you what they told me. Yeah, they are better..but not neccessary.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. tacoma rear drum brakes are specifically engineered for those trucks. the reason they still use them is that they’re the most reliable for that type of truck. some rear drums have lasted 200k miles before needing replacing. tacomas are mid sized trucks that don’t do heavy duty hauling or pulling.

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single cab truck. That way when your kid gets it he can only pile a limited amount of friends in it.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. tacoma rear drum brakes are specifically engineered for those trucks. the reason they still use them is that they’re the most reliable for that type of truck. some rear drums have lasted 200k miles before needing replacing. tacomas are mid sized trucks that don’t do heavy duty hauling or pulling.
Disc brakes would actually work better in all regards for any vehicle. Braking distance, fade, wet stopping, freezing up in sub freezing, stopping after being wet(large standing water, they don't fail in mud, the list is long. Disc brakes cost more, that's all. If rear brakes far Outlast front, there is too much stopping power being used at the front, they are not correctly balanced, probably due to the fact most drivers don't know how to drive, just how I can stop a vehicle much fast in all condition vs abs equipped cars that actually increase stopping distance, they just allow people that can't drive to remain in control instead of locking up the brakes.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed about staying away from any of the Chrysler JGCs unless its a straight 6 and you want to rebuild the vehicle around the engine.

Im currently in a WK2 SRT thats spent more time in the shop under warranty than not....
But #fluckingfast for a 6000# vehicle lol.

In regards to pickups stick with toyota. Over enigneered, last a lifetime. I have two coworkers that have over 250k on their 08+ tacos.

Speaking of brakes......thats been my weekend project :)
Just did pads after 20k on the SRT and rotors + pads all the way around on our 2012 camry after ~50k.

The SRT i saved $4k as quoted by the dealer on the front brakes as they wanted to change the rotors too but i live life on the edge.....of minimum thickness ;)

Cheers! And good luck on the purchase!

-SR

20200225_192516.jpg 20200224_171257.jpg 20200225_162842.jpg 20200225_144724.jpg 20200224_170955.jpg

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!! Someone that changes their own brake pads. Lexus dealer told me $800 for a pad change on my 08 rx350. I couldn't even stop myself from saying.. duck you, $800. That was JUST pads..oh..and the "multi point inspection"

Anyways.. we are a dying breed.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!! Someone that changes their own brake pads. Lexus dealer told me $800 for a pad change on my 08 rx350. I couldn't even stop myself from saying.. duck you, $800. That was JUST pads..oh..and the "multi point inspection"

Well....have you ever tried doing that multi-point inspection yourself?? :p

It is amazing what ANY mechanic charges to swap pads out. It's literally 5 minutes more work than throwing on a spare tire.

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you start driving a truck you never go back. I guarantee you that you will be using it for much more than you are anticipating now. Go for the truck it is well worth it.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yessir, I'm a monkey wrench by trade so I try to tackle any technical feat.
And I'm also a PDX native ;)

Just got back from a road trip up there as you can see from the photos I brought home half of Mt. Hood on my wheels and suspension lol.

20200225_112118.jpg 20200225_112215.jpg 20200225_112040.jpg 20200221_161717.jpg 20200213_151334.jpg 20200221_155940.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....have you ever tried doing that multi-point inspection yourself?? :p

It is amazing what ANY mechanic charges to swap pads out. It's literally 5 minutes more work than throwing on a spare tire.
Lol@ multipoint inspection. Always be weary of a "free" service....right?!

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh yes. Have to love roads that they sprinkle crushed volcanic rock on. I LOVED portland but now that I am older, and it has changed sooo much, I'm over it.

I liked it with the brewery downtown, when the pearl district was just heroin addicts, and you could utilize the freeway system to actually get places.

I'm moving to brush prairie in 14 days. 600 GALLON IN WALL TANK BABY!!!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh yes. Have to love roads that they sprinkle crushed volcanic rock on. I LOVED portland but now that I am older, and it has changed sooo much, I'm over it.

I liked it with the brewery downtown, when the pearl district was just heroin addicts, and you could utilize the freeway system to actually get places.

I'm moving to brush prairie in 14 days. 600 GALLON IN WALL TANK BABY!!!
Yea....meth is totally overrated now lol.

Where art thou headed?
Only brush prairies near here are foothills of sierras outside of sac lol.

Congrats on the move btw!
I have been toying with the idea of moving back to Ptown but relocation of work from the bay area would be a killer. Monitary and mentally lol.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahahaha. Dude....classic. "fixed gears is over!"
For me it was "hey scene kid....nice road bike!"

And YES!!!!! Rainforest is so much better than evergreen forest.

GLWYmove!

Geonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an older Cherokee for my daughter...not a Grand Cherokee..86 Pioneer..inline 6...you cant kill them,and she will never get stuck in snow with the right tires.Paid $900 for it...144k miles on it off FB Marketplace
PS..posters are right..Grand Cherokees and Cherokees are 2 different things.

Geo

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an older Cherokee for my daughter...not a Grand Cherokee..86 Pioneer..inline 6...you cant kill them,and she will never get stuck in snow with the right tires.Paid $900 for it...144k miles on it off FB Marketplace
PS..posters are right..Grand Cherokees and Cherokees are 2 different things.

Geo
Straight 6 ftw

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight 6 ftw
Chevy's 4.2 straight 6 was a dream. Too bad the TrailBlazers had enough unrelated issues to get the axe. Last decent body-on-frame midsize real SUV from GM :(

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chevy's 4.2 straight 6 was a dream. Too bad the TrailBlazers had enough unrelated issues to get the axe. Last decent body-on-frame midsize real SUV from GM :(
Yep, 250k+ motor. And the new TB is loaded with a turbo'd engine *SMH*
GM gott keep making that money some how....they got jealous of how much ford was making in service repairs and joined the fun ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back