Trumpet care

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody has had success keeping a trumpet coral closer to the lights . I have a trumpet that looks like it’s not too happy at the bottom hasn’t wanted to extend as much when I got it I check Params all other corals are doing good am I just having bad luck with trumpets ?
Alk : 10
Cal :420
Sal:1.025
Nitrates : 10

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a FluvalSmart marine I keep it on low light with not to much white can the be the issue ? I didn’t want to put the light high as I’ve heard they can melt

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a FluvalSmart marine I keep it on low light with not to much white can the be the issue ? I didn’t want to put the light high as I’ve heard they can melt
What's the actual par where the coral is now? Honestly, caulastrea are extremely adaptive to all kinds of lighting, but if it's not getting enough, then they'll shrink and slowly wither away. Also, feeding them will help in these situations.

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the actual par where the coral is now? Honestly, caulastrea are extremely adaptive to all kinds of lighting, but if it's not getting enough, then they'll shrink and slowly wither away. Also, feeding them will help in these situations.
I’m trying to spot feed it tonight I have it on the sand bed for now under the wave maker so it doesn’t get so much flow should I try running more white ?

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to spot feed it tonight I have it on the sand bed for now under the wave maker so it doesn’t get so much flow should I try running more white ?
I run all blue with only 5% white so don’t think that’s the issue (white light specifically) you can always try to move it up and inch or two

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all blue with only 5% white so don’t think that’s the issue (white light specifically) you can always try to move it up and inch or two
Ok yea I didn’t know what par meant at first but I run my light the same percentage as you 7% white and 100 everything else except red

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I was wondering if anybody has had success keeping a trumpet coral closer to the lights . I have a trumpet that looks like it’s not too happy at the bottom hasn’t wanted to extend as much when I got it I check Params all other corals are doing good am I just having bad luck with trumpets ?
Alk : 10
Cal :420
Sal:1.025
Nitrates : 10
How new is this Trumpet (in your tank)?

Your parameters are fine, and they can adapter to almost any lighting and flow.
I had mine right under Metal Hailades lights and they grew like crazy.

If you want good advice, it would help to show a photo of your trumpet.

I recently got a bunch from someone tearing down his tank and he had low lighting. When they went into my 35 Gallon Holding tank, they all freaked and scrunched up.

2021-03-07_FragTankMOreLiveRock.jpg

I started with Medium Blue lighting and let them get used to the lower lighting levels and then slowly ramped up intensity. Took weeks but now there are fat and fluffy.
2021-04-24_35Gall-FragTank.jpg

Photo above is month old. Now they are double fluffy Fat. Powerhead blowing directly on them.

One thing I noticed is the more green trumpets on the top right are a different species and they are not fluffing up as much as the classics in the middle of the photo. (Both started at the same time and pretty well the same lightings).

As far as flow they will handle pretty strong broad flow, I wouldn't be trying to find a low flow spot for yours.

The more your move around your trumpet affecting the lighting it gets the less happy it will be.

Certainly starting lower (ie lower lighting) is a good start, and only when it's happy move it up bit by bit till you get it to your target resting spot.

The way I judge my trumpet's health is to check on the trumpet after lights out. Once darkness sets in they should close up and extend their feeding tentacles. When they do that it means trumpet is happy and just adjusting to daytime lighting. As shown below. Same trumpets in photo above (but at dark time).

TrumpetNightFeederTentacles.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s one I know the galaxea is too close I got it free but even when I got it didn’t look bothered by the galaxea I plan to seperate them tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is this Trumpet (in your tank)?

Your parameters are fine, and they can adapter to almost any lighting and flow.
I had mine right under Metal Hailades lights and they grew like crazy.

I recently got a bunch from someone tearing down his tank and he had low lighting. When they went into my tank, they all freaked and scrunched up.

I started with Medium Blue lighting and let them get used to the lower lighting levels and then slowly ramped up. Took weeks but now there are fat and fluffy.

As far as flow they will handle pretty strong broad flow, I wouldn't be trying to find a low flow spot for yours.

The more your move around your trumpet the less happy it will be.

Certainly starting lower (ie lower lighting) is a good start, and only when it's happy move it up bit by bit till you get it to your target resting spot.

The way I judge my trumpet's health is to check on the trumpet after lights out. Once darkness sets in they should close up and extend their feeding tentacles. When they do that it means trumpet is happy and just adjusting to daytime lighting.
I have had it four a couple days now I was but a bit scared because it looked sucked in when I put it in but it has its tentacles out so I’m hoping it’s doing good and just getting used to light I just started spot feeding today

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What lighting did it come from? If it was in strong lighting, then raise it up and give it time. I would probably raise it anyway. I wouldn't go crazy trying to feed it, just broadcast feed a couple times a week after lights out and you'll be fine. I've never fed mine, but I feed a lot, so there's always something floating around for it to grab. Their sweepers will come out when they sense food, but usually they're out during the night.
Galaxea will have long sweepers, so make sure you give it some room, especially anything down stream.
I would rent or borrow a par meter and map your tank. This will make placing new corals a breeze. As long as you have measurable phosphates, you're good on parameters. Your alk will drop on its own over time, but once it starts to be utilized, I would shoot for 8-9dkh.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it four a couple days now I was but a bit scared because it looked sucked in when I put it in but it has its tentacles out so I’m hoping it’s doing good and just getting used to light I just started spot feeding today
Couple of days!! Be patient, and leave it just where it is.
If in a couple of weeks it's not getting better/fatter consider moving it up to a bit more for extra light.
It's much more risky to burn a trumpet in high light if it was used to low light and then it may not recover.

And don't bother adjusting your water parameters for now. A tad lower on the Alk level as metion above would be fine, but not necessary, since....

I've had succesful trumpets this tank with Alk 10-11dkH and these all started with 1 single trumpet head.
2017-11-02=KitchenTankJustPruned2.jpg

Remember with all corals stability is key not someone else's target, if you are withing reasonable range (but keep it stable).

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s one I know the galaxea is too close I got it free but even when I got it didn’t look bothered by the galaxea I plan to seperate them tomorrow
From that photo, it looks like the trumpet will be shaded by the tall rock.
Keep it at the same level but move it where it will get full lighting.

Or a tad higher and mount/glue it onto the rock wall.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back