OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From that photo, it looks like the trumpet will be shaded by the tall rock.
Keep it at the same level but move it where it will get full lighting.

Or a tad higher and mount/glue it onto the rock wall.
Thanks for the advice ! Such a beautiful tank by the way

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like maybe I’m not running enough white
I think this might be the case, I have some Candy Cane in my sump lite by a Tunze 8811 and they have bigger and puffier heads than in my display and the Tunze is a lot whiter to the eye than my display lights.

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude telling ppl not enough whites is like telling them theyre using the wrong gas in their car....even if they are.
Lol
D
Lol but if you put the wrong gas you can essentially mess things up internally heads getting worn down etc might not be the best comparison but I get what your trying to say I think my best right now is to try what Wally b said after still no improvement I will move it up and see if lighting is the issue

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is this Trumpet (in your tank)?

Your parameters are fine, and they can adapter to almost any lighting and flow.
I had mine right under Metal Hailades lights and they grew like crazy.

If you want good advice, it would help to show a photo of your trumpet.

I recently got a bunch from someone tearing down his tank and he had low lighting. When they went into my 35 Gallon Holding tank, they all freaked and scrunched up.

2021-03-07_FragTankMOreLiveRock.jpg

I started with Medium Blue lighting and let them get used to the lower lighting levels and then slowly ramped up intensity. Took weeks but now there are fat and fluffy.
2021-04-24_35Gall-FragTank.jpg

Photo above is month old. Now they are double fluffy Fat. Powerhead blowing directly on them.

One thing I noticed is the more green trumpets on the top right are a different species and they are not fluffing up as much as the classics in the middle of the photo. (Both started at the same time and pretty well the same lightings).

As far as flow they will handle pretty strong broad flow, I wouldn't be trying to find a low flow spot for yours.

The more your move around your trumpet affecting the lighting it gets the less happy it will be.

Certainly starting lower (ie lower lighting) is a good start, and only when it's happy move it up bit by bit till you get it to your target resting spot.

The way I judge my trumpet's health is to check on the trumpet after lights out. Once darkness sets in they should close up and extend their feeding tentacles. When they do that it means trumpet is happy and just adjusting to daytime lighting. As shown below. Same trumpets in photo above (but at dark time).

TrumpetNightFeederTentacles.jpg
This is what it looks like today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 35

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty healthy.

See how the one on the side isn't as open, that is probably since it get's less light.

Maybe tilt the rock so both trumpet get equal light. Then if they both open up equally, you know you a bit low on lighting.

Wait a few days (a week), and consider a bump up higher for more lights. Small increments. Adjust, observe and adjust if needed.

Here is a fresh photo taken today of two types of trumpets during day lighting.

And these guys as I mentioned last time, are in DIRECT FLOW of a Wide Flow Powerhead. Flow doesn't bother them at all.

Notice the One trumpet species isn't as open. Could be it's too high up. From I observed is till a trumpet is acclimated to stronger light, it's best to have it lower, and let it open up to reach the light, VS shrink up to avoid the extra light.

Main thing is your two trumpets look healthy. Flesh all around the stem, and no sign of blotchy missing flesh which can indicate it's dying, infected, or being burned by too much light.

Report back in a week wih another photo on your trumpets progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty healthy.

See how the one on the side isn't as open, that is probably since it get's less light.

Maybe tilt the rock so both trumpet get equal light.
Ok was wondering why it was indented like that I’ll move it to get more light on the side once I get home

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And these guys as I mentioned last time, are in DIRECT FLOW of a Wide Flow Powerhead. Flow doesn't bother them at all.
2021-06-03_Tumpets1.jpg

Notice the One trumpet species isn't as open. Could be it's too high up. From I observed is till a trumpet is acclimated to stronger light, it's best to have it lower, and let it open up to reach the light, VS shrink up to avoid the extra light.

2021-06-03_Trumpets2.jpg

Main thing is your two trumpets look healthy. Flesh all around the stem, and no sign of blotchy missing flesh which can indicate it's dying, infected, or being burned by too much light.

Report back in a week with another photo on your trumpets progress. I'm willing to bet you will see them open up more. You might consider them getting a big more, not less flow.

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2021-06-03_Tumpets1.jpg

2021-06-03_Trumpets2.jpg

Report back in a week with another photo on your trumpets progress. I'm willing to bet you will see them open up more. You might consider them getting a big more, not less flow.
Thanks will do jus want to make sure to not kill this one I had one previously that no matter where I put wasn’t happy and all the flesh came off I thought maybe the flow was high then I will post in a week to hopefully show progress :)

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2021-06-03_Tumpets1.jpg

2021-06-03_Trumpets2.jpg

One last think if it has a dark spot on it is that because it the lights not hitting that area ?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for this pic, it says a lot. First, you need to get it away from the galaxea, it will sting it to death. The sweepers on galaxea can reach 6" or more, even at this size. I would put it half way up on the rock work and just let it be and see how it responds. If it shrinks up even more, then you know it's getting too much light, but I honestly don't see that happening here. In high flow areas, it will stay "closed" looking, but in medium flow, it should be nice and fluffy. Caulastrea are extremely hardy, so don't be afraid.

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this pic, it says a lot. First, you need to get it away from the galaxea, it will sting it to death. The sweepers on galaxea can reach 6" or more, even at this size. I would put it half way up on the rock work and just let it be and see how it responds. If it shrinks up even more, then you know it's getting too much light, but I honestly don't see that happening here. In high flow areas, it will stay "closed" looking, but in medium flow, it should be nice and fluffy. Caulastrea are extremely hardy, so don't be afraid.
I separated the corals but some galaxies fell off will the still be ok like this to put in tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 28

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I separated the corals but some galaxies fell off will the still be ok like this to put in tank
Yes, in the 90’s I used to frag them with a small screwdriver, breaking off each corallite and glueing them to plugs. They are another hardy species. Also, in your pic, they looked a little dull, but that could be the pic? They should be a nice green color, so they may not be getting enough light either?

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, in the 90’s I used to frag them with a small screwdriver, breaking off each corallite and glueing them to plugs. They are another hardy species. Also, in your pic, they looked a little dull, but that could be the pic? They should be a nice green color, so they may not be getting enough light either?
When I got them they looked like a purple flesh with green tips they still look like that but I thought that was just the color of the galaxea

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I got them they looked like a purple flesh with green tips they still look like that but I thought that was just the color of the galaxea
Sounds good. It was hard to tell from the pic, but what you describe is nice and what they should be. Think of them as mini euphyllia's (as they are closely related to them). The two most common species are G. astreata and G. fascicularis.

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys sorry but I couldn’t help it just wanted to say thanks !! All the info on trumpets has really helped keep this baby alive and is doing great plan to move that mushroom soon. Just waiting till I get the courage to since it’s really close to the trumpet and I don’t damage the trumpet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering from your experience on galaxeas where would you place them same as the trumpet on the bottom or would you suggest on top of a rock kinda of looks like the flow might be to strong for the flesh checked the parameters and all my parameters are still about the same

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering from your experience on galaxeas where would you place them same as the trumpet on the bottom or would you suggest on top of a rock kinda of looks like the flow might be to strong for the flesh checked the parameters and all my parameters are still about the same
They're a medium flow coral, think of them as a cross of Duncan and euphyllia (hammer, torch, etc), so I've always treated them about the same, medium light, flow, etc..... Give them space, as they seem small, but their sweepers are really long, so watch out for neighbors being stung. A lot of LPS like indirect flow, anything that gently moves them, but not strong enough that it prevents them from opening fully. There's a nice orange or gold variety that is pretty cool.

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're a medium flow coral, think of them as a cross of Duncan and euphyllia (hammer, torch, etc), so I've always treated them about the same, medium light, flow, etc..... Give them space, as they seem small, but their sweepers are really long, so watch out for neighbors being stung. A lot of LPS like indirect flow, anything that gently moves them, but not strong enough that it prevents them from opening fully. There's a nice orange or gold variety that is pretty cool.
Ok will do I had it separated already but it looked like it was getting blasted with flow and looks like it might have be affecting the flesh and killing it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back