Trying to catch a lawnmower blenny

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had a long day/night my lawnmower blenny was harassing my clowns all night chasing them around the tank and everything. So this morning everyone was fine and happy so I fed them. Well about an hour later I came back and the female was acting very strange, she kept swimming side to side like she was looking for something well the male was no where to be seen. I finally found him curled up on the floor, now I know what your thinking he just jumped out well not exactly there were bit marks all over him and his tail was missing!!! I put two and two together and now I’m trying to catch the blenny. He keeps hiding in the rocks and I really don’t want to tear apart my aquascape but if I have to. Any suggestions would be fantastic thank you!!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing to offer for catching fish. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss! I've read recently they can harrass but I haven't heard of what you just experienced. That's a bit shocking. :-( I know others will chime in with things that have worked for them.

Tompickles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had luck siphoning blennys out. Just use a large enough hose that the fish won’t get stuck and hurt I used a 1” hose

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I’ve had a long day/night my lawnmower blenny was harassing my clowns all night chasing them around the tank and everything. So this morning everyone was fine and happy so I fed them. Well about an hour later I came back and the female was acting very strange, she kept swimming side to side like she was looking for something well the male was no where to be seen. I finally found him curled up on the floor, now I know what your thinking he just jumped out well not exactly there were bit marks all over him and his tail was missing!!! I put two and two together and now I’m trying to catch the blenny. He keeps hiding in the rocks and I really don’t want to tear apart my aquascape but if I have to. Any suggestions would be fantastic thank you!!
Fish trap is best bet opposed to pulling all rock which will hide well within a rock
Bait with algae sheet or pellet food and allow it to go and eat and get comfy. At third feeding prepare to release door when it goes in

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had luck siphoning blennys out. Just use a large enough hose that the fish won’t get stuck and hurt I used a 1” hose
The bad part is he’s about 5 to 6 inches long which is huge I would need an 2 inch house and that’s not happening lol

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing to offer for catching fish. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss! I've read recently they can harrass but I haven't heard of what you just experienced. That's a bit shocking. :-( I know others will chime in with things that have worked for them.
I appreciate it it’s really sad because the two clowns have been together since birth and they have had several batches of kids and she keeps looking for him it’s very sad

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish trap is best bet opposed to pulling all rock which will hide well within a rock
Bait with algae sheet or pellet food and allow it to go and eat and get comfy. At third feeding prepare to release door when it goes in
I am trying the old cut a water bottle trick so I’m hoping that works. What kind of other traps are there?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a blenny a bottle trap might work
1648411337995.png

cut the lid and reverse it like so and then put it in. Fish can get in but usually can't figure a way out for some reason.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once got a tang out with a ziploc bag. It took a few days but maybe your luck will be better. Basically I only fed from the bag so he had to come close and eventually just went right in to get first bites in. Then when he was totally comfortable with it I quickly pulled the bag shut and done.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The bad part is he’s about 5 to 6 inches long which is huge I would need an 2 inch house and that’s not happening lol
Other optional is 2 ltr bottle made into a trap
trap.jpg

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a blenny a bottle trap might work
1648411337995.png

cut the lid and reverse it like so and then put it in. Fish can get in but usually can't figure a way out for some reason.
Ya I’ve got a 2 liter bottle that’s clear in there now trying to catch him. He’s very weird he won’t touch algae or veggie flakes or seaweed he really likes omnivore flakes

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck.. I just had to catch and rehome my lawnmower blenny. We ended up having to remove the top of our aquascape. :confused: We weren’t patient enough for a trap though.
!
Hunger Games Student GIF

Hoping for an easy outcome!!!

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other optional is 2 ltr bottle made into a trap
trap.jpg
What should I bait it with? Also after I catch him how should I deal with him? As much as I’m mad at him I still like him! But I need another clown stat and I can’t afford to have the same thing happen again how to I get rid of this aggression?

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck.. I just had to catch and rehome my lawnmower blenny. We ended up having to remove the top of our aquascape. :confused: We weren’t patient enough for a trap though.
!
Hunger Games Student GIF

Hoping for an easy outcome!!!
What happened with yours if you don’t mind me asking?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened with yours if you don’t mind me asking?
He wasn’t playing nice with others.. he and my watchman goby frequently went toe to toe. He never killed anything but he did take a chunk out of my blennies fin. As much as I was mad at him for being such a jerk, it was hard to let him go. We also bought him because we were told he would go to town on our GHA. He did not and mostly ate film algae and meat, that he would aggressively steal from the watchman. The aggression was the may reason for the rehome though.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one huge, about 12-13cm, but he is so far peacefull, not bothering anyone, spend his time with lysmata, sometimes he swims toward my ocelaris, but, quickly changes its mind when he see my hepatus, with identity crisys, he thing that he is ocelaris so spend all of time with them, even sleep together... ;)

So for now, its peace.....

As for catching him, not easy, did it once after removing 90%of rock in previous tank.....

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He wasn’t playing nice with others.. he and my watchman goby frequently went toe to toe. He never killed anything but he did take a chunk out of my blennies fin. As much as I was mad at him for being such a jerk, it was hard to let him go. We also bought him because we were told he would go to town on our GHA. He did not and mostly ate film algae and meat, that he would aggressively steal from the watchman. The aggression was the may reason for the rehome though.
Omg same issue I had a watchman goby disappear and then he showed up dead!!! That makes so much sense!! Also he hasn’t touched any algae and only eats flakes or frozen food!!!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What should I bait it with? Also after I catch him how should I deal with him? As much as I’m mad at him I still like him! But I need another clown stat and I can’t afford to have the same thing happen again how to I get rid of this aggression?
Meaty food such as shrimp or krill. Even a small piece of Nori

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is hiding IN a rock… I have removed an entire rock with mine still hiding inside. Not sure if that is the situation, but if it is, it might be possible.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back