Trying to Determine Why Two Fish Died

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I returned from vacation and found that I lost two fish and I am puzzled as to what happened. I lost a White Tailed Bristletooth tang and a Helfrichi Firefish. The remaining fish all seem fine. Those are 5 anthias, two wrasse, a goby and a Convict Tang. I have an Apex and I am able to monitor temperature and I checked the salinity when I returned and both seemed fine. I have an Avast Marine Plank auto feeder to feed the fish. When I returned I noticed that the tube in the plank was getting backed up so I removed it to clean and I did notice a strong waste odor coming from the tube. I assume it was decaying food. So I wonder if that could have been the cause. I am not in the habit of cleaning this weekly so maybe I need to do that. So could some decaying food ending up in the tank kill a fish? Or any other thoughts? I plan to get my water tested as well.

Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I returned from vacation and found that I lost two fish and I am puzzled as to what happened. I lost a White Tailed Bristletooth tang and a Helfrichi Firefish. The remaining fish all seem fine. Those are 5 anthias, two wrasse, a goby and a Convict Tang. I have an Apex and I am able to monitor temperature and I checked the salinity when I returned and both seemed fine. I have an Avast Marine Plank auto feeder to feed the fish. When I returned I noticed that the tube in the plank was getting backed up so I removed it to clean and I did notice a strong waste odor coming from the tube. I assume it was decaying food. So I wonder if that could have been the cause. I am not in the habit of cleaning this weekly so maybe I need to do that. So could some decaying food ending up in the tank kill a fish? Or any other thoughts? I plan to get my water tested as well.

Thanks.

Was somebody caring for the fish while you were gone?

Decaying food usually does not cause "acute death" in fish, but still isn't a good thing. If you smelled decay, then the unit should be cleaned out.

To be honest, I've avoided automatic feeders at my facility - too much risk of them failing (either dumping too much food in, or not feeding enough) but more importantly, your watching the fish feed - how active they go after food, etc., is the first line of defense in identifying problems. I can see needing one while you are on vacation perhaps, since the person caring for your tank wouldn't likely be able to evaluate the fish as they fed anyway.

Jay

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was somebody caring for the fish while you were gone?

Decaying food usually does not cause "acute death" in fish, but still isn't a good thing. If you smelled decay, then the unit should be cleaned out.

To be honest, I've avoided automatic feeders at my facility - too much risk of them failing (either dumping too much food in, or not feeding enough) but more importantly, your watching the fish feed - how active they go after food, etc., is the first line of defense in identifying problems. I can see needing one while you are on vacation perhaps, since the person caring for your tank wouldn't likely be able to evaluate the fish as they fed anyway.

Jay

I do not have anyone to care for my tank while I am away. I do have someone I could call in an emergency but he does not look after the tank every day. I have a camera in front of the tank and I can monitor temp and sump level with my apex. I can also start the feeder and watch the fish feed with the camera, but I don't always do that. I did actually notice the tang was not to be seen with the camera towards the end of my trip.

I am going to send off for a water test as I have not done that since I started the tank earlier this year. All other fish appear healthy and those two fish I lost seemed fine when I left.

Thanks.

hkmapear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with Jays POV of NOT using automatic feeder, as there might be technical issues with it. If you are just away for a few days or not more than a week, fish’s won’t get starved. (My personal opinion).

Regarding the dead fishes, did you notice any trauma (which you can see) from the dead bodies? Or any abnormal behaviour from those healthy fishes? How’s the smell of your water? Water is clear and clean?

If everything is fine, may get some water changes and keep monitor the tank in the coming days.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back