Trying to understand masking ich with copper

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, first just wanted to thank you all on this wonderful forum for the advice and knowledge so far, my first attempt at quarantining is going very well even with a tank full of ich :)

So I had a thought regarding ich and copper. I understand that copper is ineffective until a minimum therapeutic dose is reached. I’m using Copper Power.

I have 5 fish in QT right now - lyretail anthias, linespot flasher wrasse, longfin fairy wrasse, royal gramma, bicolor blenny. The two wrasses had ich within 24 hrs of introducing them to QT. A few days later the blenny started flashing and the anthias had a few spots. Both wrasses came from one LFS and the other 3 came from another.

After starting copper both wrasses seemed to perk up and act more lively. This was around the 0.5-1.0ppm range. After just a few days, I cannot see any spots on any of the fish and I’m still not at the therapeutic dose, mainly because I don’t trust my ability to read my API copper test and my Hanna checker will be here Friday. All fish are happy and comfortable and eating well.

I read that some LFS keep a low dose of copper in the water to mask symptoms of ich. Based on how these fish reacted and onset of ich I think that may be true. But how exactly does that work? It’s my understanding that copper doesn’t kill those attached to the fish right away. Like I said, fish had visible ich and now they do not within just about 3 days and only at about 1-1.5ppm. How exactly does a low dose of copper keep visible ich off the fish? And I assume if I were to move the fish to the DT with no copper present, ich would resurface? Very confused on how this works. Thank you in advance for any help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things could be in play here: the normal ich life cycle and the sub-therapeutic copper dose. When ich first gets started, all the Tommy’s are on the same basic cycle, and all drop off around the same time. This results in fish looking better...until the tomites return to reinfect the fish. The tank transfer method relies on this feature. Low dose copper does have some benefit, not 100% kill, but some inhibition.
I am not a big fan of very slowly ramping up copper. I only take 36 hours for very sensitive fish (or right into full dose for sturdy fish). I’ve seen too many fish die from disease while an aquarist slowly raises the copper. Besides, how do you account for all the dealers who run copper and add new fish straight in?
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back