Tumbling chaeto without powerhead - solved

Gogi

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2019
Messages
100
Reaction score
70
Location
London, UK
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always see questions along the line of; Should I add pump to make my chaeto tumble?

I don't want to get into the discussion whether that's required/good for chaeto growth here. I just wanted to point out that usually the flow through the sump is enough to make chaeto spin. The flow just needs to be the correct shape: laminar flow along one of the sides of the chamber.

Here's the example of my chaeto spinning by just restricting the flow of the standard Waterbox fuge and creating a narrow laminar flow along the bottom. The orange acrylic is restricting the slits in the glass. By restricting the flow to a more or less narrow hole I can control the speed of spin.

 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new