Tuna sun to replicate the sun?

Matt VDB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
So I've always been dissatisfied with the white spectrum of A.I primes and other similar units which has led me to explore a wide range of alternative options. I've been thinking of supplimenting the aquarium with some kessil tuna suns (either a80 or a160) for the afternoon. This would give me a more natural warm white and even more shimmer which is a must.

Has anyone tried this?

--BRS briefly touched on the same idea here if anyone's interested:

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used Tuna Suns over normal reef tanks but I have used them over some mangrove tanks with some softies in the bottom. They grew things perfectly well just look much more yellow than I would like on my display.

OP
OP
Matt VDB

Matt VDB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it something I would consider now since you mentioned it here. You could always mix with tuna blues and come up with something really nice.
I think it something I would consider now since you mentioned it here. You could always mix with tuna blues and come up with something really nice.
I was going to pair them with my A.I primes. The idea is to only run the white channels through the tuna suns and blue through whatever lights tickle your fancy. Cool whites look so fake eh.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are trying to supplement and keep it small but if you want a more natural spectrum then look no further than the Coral Care Gen 2. That is about as natural of a look there is on the market today.

Another option is to maybe pickup a used Kessil a360x. Should be plenty out there and using just the adjustable nobs it comes with may be able to achieve what you want.

OP
OP
Matt VDB

Matt VDB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are trying to supplement and keep it small but if you want a more natural spectrum then look no further than the Coral Care Gen 2. That is about as natural of a look there is on the market today.

Another option is to maybe pickup a used Kessil a360x. Should be plenty out there and using just the adjustable nobs it comes with may be able to achieve what you want.
Yeah just want to suppliment it, nobody in NZ really runs kessils especially the fresh water guys. I can source some new ones though

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just want to suppliment it, nobody in NZ really runs kessils especially the fresh water guys. I can source some new ones though

Ah, that makes sense. Also missed the location. Sorry about that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back