Tunze 3171 setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Marou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you managed to set the reactor up so that the co2 solinoid stays always on and ph is stable? Do you think it can be done so that the solinoid lasts longer?

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you managed to set the reactor up so that the co2 solinoid stays always on and ph is stable? Do you think it can be done so that the solinoid lasts longer?
You can do that, but it would be ineffective or you need a bigger reactor. The cost of a new regulator isn’t worth shooting for this

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that, but it would be ineffective or you need a bigger reactor. The cost of a new regulator isn’t worth shooting for this
How so? I believe that's how a calcium reactor SHOULD be setup. The solenoid should be used as a safety/backup device, not a constant control mechanism. With the bubble count set correctly the amount of C02 entering will always be 100% dissolved and produce effluent with high Alk. The regulator wouldn't be affected either way.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How so? I believe that's how a calcium reactor SHOULD be setup. The solenoid should be used as a safety/backup device, not a constant control mechanism. With the bubble count set correctly the amount of C02 entering will always be 100% dissolved and produce effluent with high Alk. The regulator wouldn't be affected either way.
What is your assumption of the times it is turning on and off?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your assumption of the times it is turning on and off?
It should be in an always open state. Then if pH dropped too low in the reactor due to, for instance, the regulator dumping CO2 as tank pressure dropped it would close preventing the reactor media from melting.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be in an always open state. Then if pH dropped too low in the reactor due to, for instance, the regulator dumping CO2 as tank pressure dropped it would close preventing the reactor media from melting.
I think your way is perfectly fine, but I don't think that having the regulator on open will be effective for all hobbyist. Some run their CA only during day time to help with PH in the tank,.....

OP
OP
adtravels

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My off point for the solenoid is 6.39 and on point 6.49, it has not turned off since 2nd November. My alk has risen a little over the past 2 days from 8.9 to 9.4 though, so I may have to tweek a little. I am wondering whats the best variable to change bubble rate or drip rate?
pHcr.PNG

pHcr.PNG

Last edited:

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be installed externally, but the safest is internal as it is always possible a hose pops off or a leak can develop.

OP
OP
adtravels

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been rock solid, I think a faster drip rate will be the safest in the long run due to the nature of the way in which you choke down the flow. it is pretty rudimentary. and I could see a possible blockage forming in the tube. Like most calcium reactor I would Noy want it anywhere near the light from a refugium, for obvious reasons.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love mine. I did not chime in earlier to let you get a feel for your new toy. As you mention, it's rock solid and dead simple. What an amazing addition that creates rock solid stability for a reef tank. I'm still amazed that so few people mention it. My SPS grows so fast I'm starting to think I may need to take a chisel to a few pieces.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main benefits of the adjustment on the intake is it is less likely to block, the drip rate setting on the output tends to block all the time and need weekly adjustment, on the input usually you will get 3+ months, algae growth in the tubing being an exception that will block it faster.

OP
OP
adtravels

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new tank and will be setting the CR up agin on my new 120 gallon system. Hopefully it works as well. the biggest issue is slowing down of the drip rate over time.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally if the flow rate changes the cause is either too much CO2 or adjusting it to quickly. There is a time delay between adjusting the water in and the drip rate changing as their is some pressure in the unit, likewise excess CO2 will pressurize the unit and the accumulated gas will exit the drip line if it is too much and this will reduce the drip rate.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been rockin my 3171 for a month and a half. Solenoid on, no controller, 2 stage regulator, tunze media, 20-25ml per minute, 65 bpm, and holding 8.1 dkh for a month now. I drip into a small tube of coral bones for ph control but its not needed. Effluent ph is 6.8. I checked it but dont monitor it.
Dkh effluent is 20-22.
20200118_180901.jpg
20191224_103538.jpg

Last edited:

Tomaso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello im running tunze 3172 but i have co2 build up at the top. Have you either? I want to put a kamoer fx stp peristaltoc but im considering of the bubbles..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back