Tunze 3171 setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the 3172 and this only happens when there is too much CO2 or too low of a drip, I have always been able to solve it by reducing the bubble rate or increasing the drip rate. Keep in mind it is very efficient on CO2, I generally find one bubble every 2.5 seconds and a drip rate where the drip is almost a steady stream is about right, for my 300 gallon system, it then holds at a KH of 11 and Ca of 460ppm.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, make sure the hose to pick up the bubble is over the side the bubble accumulates at so it can suck it back up, the body has a slight angle and the hose should be over the high corner based on how the lid is seated.

Tomaso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now im using a ph controller to mantain a ph 6.5 to 6.7 in the reactor and a mini valve at the output to mantain 14ml/min and my kh is rock solid. Im in think to buy a kamoer so the output dont get clocked buy im thinking all the co2 will clog the kamoer also. I tried yours way but i dont have a steady kh alla goes up and down. At what ph is your rx now?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do not monitor or control the internal pH of the reactor, I only monitor tank pH and check effluent KH.

Tomaso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know... Maybe i have install smth wrong now im 2-3 bubbles/sec to maintain alkalinty at 26dkh

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the Tunze media? The usual medias are too big and they dissolve in a way that leaves a fine dust that clumps up and causes flow channelling. This happens over time with our media too, but much more slowly.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the Tunze media? The usual medias are too big and they dissolve in a way that leaves a fine dust that clumps up and causes flow channelling. This happens over time with our media too, but much more slowly.
Agree 100%.
I took my 3171 apart to clean after 10 months running.
Did not need cleaning really.
I run the Tunze media.
Their was a little powder but not the mush like you get from coral bones.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just seeing this but I'm with Roger. I do not have the buildup issue. The media I run is natural coral pieces from the beach! I add magnesium REMAG to this. Again, I have not see an issue with calcium buildup.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reactor sounds very similar to the skimz 113 I am running but better quality being tunze. It is self feeding and priming and i am facing many of the same problems with a build up of excess gas in the reactor causing the drip rate to slow down.

subxero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reactor sounds very similar to the skimz 113 I am running but better quality being tunze. It is self feeding and priming and i am facing many of the same problems with a build up of excess gas in the reactor causing the drip rate to slow down.
Do you have issue of priming with skimz 113?

subxero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it primes fine it just seems to fill with a lot of undissolved CO2 which builds up and causes the outflow to slow down and stop over time. Are you familiar with the 113?
I had the cm113 last time. I had issues with priming whenever the water levels drop (example: stopping the pump to add media, etc) and the pump stalls.

I do notice there are undissolved CO2 at the top but didn't take note if it affectes the flow.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the cm113 last time. I had issues with priming whenever the water levels drop (example: stopping the pump to add media, etc) and the pump stalls.

I do notice there are undissolved CO2 at the top but didn't take note if it affectes the flow.
The unit primes easily if you leave the PH probe port open slightly. Once the water starts to flow out of the PH probe tighten it. It will then run as it supposed to. But I don't think its a very well designed reactor and is of poor quality. I am not even sure if the pump can be removed for cleaning?

fishead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger, I've been trying to dial in a 3171. it shipped without the internal strainer (part 5 in manual) . It took me a couple days to figure out I couldn't run the reactor without this. So fitted the intake strainer there instead and now use a 100 micron nylon filter sock on the pick up / feed line.
The effluent drip rate does slow down over time for me also. Am thinking of trying a continuous duty peri pump on the feed line to uniform the drip rate. Do you think this would work?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the pump will work, it should not be needed. Here are the main causes of it not reliably priming and self feeding-

1) Make sure all hoses are routed correctly, the most overlooked is the recirculate hose. The reactor has a very slight nearly imperceptable angle toward the back where the strainer is, the lid needs to be fitted so the nipple for the recirc line is by the strainer. This line should also have the flow restrictor in it, it is a hose coupling that reduces the flow.

2) The suction is generated by the baffle plate restriction on the bottom, the blue sponge needs to be over this plate, the media seems to make a difference, a smaller granular media such as ours seems to provide more suction than a very course media.

3) CO2 Pressure will cause fluctuations in effluent if cycled off and on, the ideal is a very steady, constant lower dose of CO2, if the CO2 is turned off, the pressure drops, the drip rate drops, if the CO2 is kicked on and a lot added suddenly, the opposite happens. Tuning the CO2 to be added steadily is very important.

4) Make adjustments slowly, there is indeed a lag time from closing the screw on the inlet until the outlet drop reacts, when you are close, make very small adjustments and wait about 15-20 seconds to see the full stabilized result.

5) Verify there are no leaks.

While it is definitely possible to use a feed pump and it would give a very stable drip rate, it should be entirely possible to go without. I would also request the strainer from your dealer, this part generally comes loose in the box, not installed, as it is more difficult to add media with it installed. Make sure no media entered the pump as it will damage the impeller.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back