Tunze 6105 not working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my 6105 pumps wasn’t pumping today. The impeller rotates moves slightly every time the blue led on the main power dial pulses, so I know power is getting to the pump. But the main power dial only pulses briefly, no matter what I do. So I’m pretty sure my controller is shot. The controller is hard wired to the pump - is it replaceable? The pump is almost 3 years old (I think).

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller is removable. There are two screws on the back of the controller. Remove the knobs before separating the housings.

I would try swopping power supplies, then controllers to narrow down bad component.

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
The controller is removable. There are two screws on the back of the controller. Remove the knobs before separating the housings.

I would try swopping power supplies, then controllers to narrow down bad component.
Thanks. I did swap power supplies. I will try the controllers tonight.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the pump. I had a 6095 that quit recently and it turned out to be the pump.

I don’t use the stock power supplies. The one I use shuts off on over current. Controller would initially power on then power would turn off. Turned out to be the pump, not the controller.

Double check your purchase date. They have a two year warranty and Roger at Tunze is amazing to work with.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it could be the pump, controller failure is rare outside of water damage. I would make sure the metal shaft is rigidly fixed in the motor and the impeller spins freely on the shaft, mechanical issues can also be a cause, a missing disk or upside disk on the shaft will cause similar behavior, part 6055.740.

Just to clarify, the power supply we use, part 6095.240 is also protected, it has thermal and overload protection and also contains a fuse.

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disassembled the pump last night and the shaft seemed fine. The impeller turns easily by hand, but the magnetic poles do not let it just spin freely without assistance - I assume this is expected and normal. The controller is in a dry area and has never been wet. I swapped the power supplies, so I don't believe it is a power supply issue. I will swap controllers tonight and see what happens.

I'm not sure if the led lights on the controller give any clues. On one controller, the little leds on the left (pulse 2-10, auto adjust, etc.) are red, and green on the other one. And the blue main power led just blinks briefly (<1 sec), no matter what setting I have.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the pumps tethered or connected to any other controllers? The magnetic resistance is normal. The blinking blue light indicates an overload, the pump is drawing too much power. If everything mechanically is ok, it is a motor issue.

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do normally have the controllers connected together with a 7092.300 cable. I disconnected it yesterday when I noticed the one pump wasn’t working. I was really hoping for a controller issue, as that seems to be a relatively inexpensive fix ☹️. I will still confirm tonight by swapping the controllers, but I will temper my expectations. Can I purchase a 6105 pump without a controller? Thank you.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have in stock has the controller, they are the same price with or without as the ones with the controller the controller is a free upgrade for pre 2015 models that lacked the controller and they will eventually be phased out and only the controller less model will be available, they really are not too bad, let me know what you find and contact me rather than just ordering it.

OP
OP
C

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys were right. I swapped the controllers tonight, and the non-working pump continued not to work while the working pump continued to work. Roger, I will send you a PM. Thank you.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back