Tunze 6255 questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of planning which Tunze pumps to order for my new build. The tank will be 300cm long, 90cm deep (top to bottom) and 70cm wide (front to back). The overflow will be over the right end of the tank (70cm wide). This end of the tank is built into the cabinetry. The viewable panes are the front length and the left end:

Tank and Stand full length 75 wide 3D light.jpg

I want lots of flow. Glass is 24mm so cannot use the Stream 3 unless in a Tunze rock.

I was thinking of putting 4x 6255 on the right end and one or two on the back pane all the way to the left side.

Two questions:

1. Two or more of the ones on the right end will have to have the outside magnet underwater in the weir. From what I've read this is not a problem but a confirmation from Tunze would be nice :).

2. I'm putting together the exact dimensions of the weir at the moment and it would be helpful to know the thickness of the outside magnet (if the answer to 1 is positive).

3. The 6255 is marketed as "Wide Flow". Does this mean that it might not be ideal in my tank given the length? In other words, will the 6255 push enough water to reach from one end to the other?

If 3 is a problem, would it be better to get the 6155 which has slightly less flow but gives a more directional flow? The 6155 would require the purchase of the 6205.500 magnet?

Any other inputs on the best way to use Tunze pumps to provide high flow in this tank would be helpful! ;Happy

Thanks!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Both halves of the magnet are waterproof.

2) The magnets are a little over 2cm thick, 22mm

3) The flow will not reach the other end, it will reach about 240cm and past about 220cm the flow is really only enough for some polyps and soft corals.

I think in general you will need a way to get flow to the other side, even with stronger pumps from another manufacturer, the problem with all flow from one side will be all detritus piles on the other side and the corals will grow leaning one way. I would place a couple of pumps in Stream rocks on the other side.

Ashir Parekh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a very similar tank setup coming and was looking at the tunze 6255 as well. Have you decided which way you are going. Dimensions of my tank is the same except my height is 600 high. I was thinking 4 Tunzes 6255 on onverflow side and 2 tunze 6255 on the opposite side. No choice but to have 2 on the viewing side. But being a sps dominant tank i think i need it. Just interested to know your choice thus far.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided on 4 Tunze 6255, probably two on the overflow end and two on the other end (even though it's a viewing pane). I will also have two 6155 in Tunze rocks placed around the middle of the tank somewhere. In addition, I will have two Gyre 350s up by the surface on the end opposite the overflow to ensure that the surface water is pushed towards the overflow (to avoid any surface scum building up on the end opposite the overflow).

I'll start with the above and modify as needed. :cool:

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, that is a lot more flow than expected. But i like the idea of the gyre, but why 2 on 1 side. Will 1 not work in addition to the 6255

In my experience flow is critical for an SPS tank and seems to go hand in hand with the right lighting. I was originally aiming for 100x max turnover in the new tank and this gets me close to 90x. That's max of course so on average it will probably be about 45-50x...

As to the Gyres, my thinking was that two Gyre 350s will cover the width of my tank perfectly (they're 32.5cm long so two of them cover my 70cm width) so they would provide a very good surface flow. The two 6255s on that end will be lower down the 90cm height of the tank...

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the Mp60qd as an option?

I've thought of the MP60s... however by comparison I have found the Tunze and Phanta Rhei pumps to be much quieter. Not that the MP60 is that loud, especially the QD ones but I want the tank as silent as possible.

Maybe these comments better belong in my build thread rather than here?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 44 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 35 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back