Tunze Osmolator 3155 Optical Sensor Issue?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally a film causes no filling, not overfilling. Has anything changed from the original set up? This can be something subtle, hose routing, use of a refugium light, changes in equipment positioning?
All equipment is the same - I did change some wire management though. Are you thinking that could be the case? Maybe I'll check for shorts or bare wires. The alligator connector are those polar? Or doesn't matter ?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polarity does not matter for the current pump model.

Magnetic intereference is a possibility, the sensor cables can act as an antenna and carry interference to the board, but this is generally only an issue when bundled with cables for lighting, it is best practice to not bundle the sensor wires with any other wires. The usual symptom of interference though is false alarms for the float being raised or off and on cycling.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polarity does not matter for the current pump model.

Magnetic intereference is a possibility, the sensor cables can act as an antenna and carry interference to the board, but this is generally only an issue when bundled with cables for lighting, it is best practice to not bundle the sensor wires with any other wires. The usual symptom of interference though is false alarms for the float being raised or off and on cycling.
Ah so not overfilling. Mmh I'll take a look but still appears the sensor is shot

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that the switching point has been erased, this is more plausible than a bad sensor, but both are possible. Send it in, I will have it done within a day. Just be sure to include your contact info and I only need the controller with sensors, if you don't include the magnets or anything else it weighs under a pound and is cheap to ship.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that the switching point has been erased, this is more plausible than a bad sensor, but both are possible. Send it in, I will have it done within a day. Just be sure to include your contact info and I only need the controller with sensors, if you don't include the magnets or anything else it weighs under a pound and is cheap to ship.
Can you provide the address ?

Anything else to be included ?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin TX 78753

As long as I have the controller with sensors and contact/return info, that is all I need.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really am not finding anything, the optic sensor is nearly perfect, 5000mV signal dry (perfect) 50mv signal wet (pretty near perfect), switching point is a bit low, 800mV, this makes it more sensitive to bubbles on the sensor, I did recalibrate that. Are you sure their is no infrared light source, siphon is ruled out causing a fill after the pump turns off and this is not a very small set up (under 50 gallons)?

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really am not finding anything, the optic sensor is nearly perfect, 5000mV signal dry (perfect) 50mv signal wet (pretty near perfect), switching point is a bit low, 800mV, this makes it more sensitive to bubbles on the sensor, I did recalibrate that. Are you sure their is no infrared light source, siphon is ruled out causing a fill after the pump turns off and this is not a very small set up (under 50 gallons)?
No infrared lights nearby. It's just about 42 gallons as mentioned I never had any issues prior to this. My return pump is right below the sensor - but it always has been.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the top off hose possibly directed at the sensor or near it? On a 42 gallon set up you do want to have pump speed turned down to nano.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the top off hose possibly directed at the sensor or near it? On a 42 gallon set up you do want to have pump speed turned down to nano.
I was under the impression it was turned down. It's directed away from the sensor against a baffle in my sump.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as it arrived the pump speed is in the nano position. I just was not sure if that was done at the time of the issue. It is possible that the higher switching point will resolve it, this controller is 4 years old, and I did update the settings, but the old settings would only have resulted in a higher sensitivity to bubbles accumulating on the sensor. I will get it back out today. If this is a very small all in one compartment, it could be that the nano setting is still too much flow, in that case a small valve added to the end of the hose would solve it, but I find no technical issues with the sensor function.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as it arrived the pump speed is in the nano position. I just was not sure if that was done at the time of the issue. It is possible that the higher switching point will resolve it, this controller is 4 years old, and I did update the settings, but the old settings would only have resulted in a higher sensitivity to bubbles accumulating on the sensor. I will get it back out today. If this is a very small all in one compartment, it could be that the nano setting is still too much flow, in that case a small valve added to the end of the hose would solve it, but I find no technical issues with the sensor function.
Well that's good news. If needed I'll try a new location for the sensors. It's a large compartment housing my return pump and protein skimmer.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received back and installed yesterday, no issues, today the ATO reservoir was empty, I filled the ATO reservoir and roughly 30 minutes after it overfilled....

Here are some photos, I moved it to it's current location which is very close to the protein skimmer, also to note, I have a wyze camera pointed at my sump and when viewing the live feed I see a pulsing light coming from the sensor... could this be interference somehow?

PXL_20220330_013643954.jpg
PXL_20220330_013652594.jpg
PXL_20220330_013634160.jpg

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is that blue can the ATO reservoir? Is it full? Have you always used that?

Is it siphoning? Does it still overfill if the blue ATO reservoir is nearly empty?

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that blue can the ATO reservoir? Is it full? Have you always used that?

Is it siphoning? Does it still overfill if the blue ATO reservoir is nearly empty?
The blue can is the reservoir and the white hose seen arching in the back is the line dumping into the sump. This has been the setup when it worked great with no issues so I can't see it being siphoning

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The blue can is the reservoir and the white hose seen arching in the back is the line dumping into the sump. This has been the setup when it worked great with no issues so I can't see it being siphoning

Why not? If the hose is lower than the water level in the ATO reservoir then it could be.

Simple to test. Either fill up the blue reservoir and, after the Tunze pump runs and stops, see if water still comes out of the end of the filling tube.

Or, empty the blue can so there is only a couple of inches of water in it, and see if it still happens.

It might be something completely different, but it’s a quick test to rule that out as a problem.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not? If the hose is lower than the water level in the ATO reservoir then it could be.

Simple to test. Either fill up the blue reservoir and, after the Tunze pump runs and stops, see if water still comes out of the end of the filling tube.

Or, empty the blue can so there is only a couple of inches of water in it, and see if it still happens.

It might be something completely different, but it’s a quick test to rule that out as a problem.
I'm gonna add a larger higher portion to the loop. As mentioned I always filled it the way I do and it never had issues.

I'm starting to feel like this may be it actually

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm gonna add a larger higher portion to the loop. As mentioned I always filled it the way I do and it never had issues

I’m not sure how that will help if it is a siphon issue. I would still test for siphons if it was me, unless you have anything else left to try?

Back