Tunze Osmolator 3155 Sensor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly new 3155 ATO, been using it since about 10/01/2020 with no issues. I had it unplugged for a couple weeks for unimportant reasons. Plugged it back in yesterday and it's not working properly. It beeps as normal and then starts filling the container with a bit of water, but stops well below the sensor and the controller reads level. I tried:

* Unplugging and plugging back in. Same behavior.
* Wiping off the sensor and then unplugging/plugging back in. Same behavior.
* Manually toggling float switch on/off. It beeped when I pushed the float up, and the beep stopped when I let it back down. Same behavior.
* Verifying the wire connections that lead into the pump-took them out and put them back in to be sure. Same behavior.

How do I troubleshoot this further?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the optic sensor from the magnet so you can see all sides, it should be shiny and black, if it has a dull haze from mineral deposits, soak it in vinegar for about an hour, if it has algae/organic debris (often foam from a skimmer or drain has sludged it up) hydrogen peroxide for about the same duration, then wipe it with a soft towel and reinstall. Usually the sensor needs to be cleaned thoroughly after 6 months, but they can foul very quickly in some situations, 4 months would not be too unusual and can just be because calcium is dosed near by, Magnesium is low, etc or there is some foam accumulating or algae growth.

OP
OP
ctopherl

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the optic sensor from the magnet so you can see all sides, it should be shiny and black, if it has a dull haze from mineral deposits, soak it in vinegar for about an hour, if it has algae/organic debris (often foam from a skimmer or drain has sludged it up) hydrogen peroxide for about the same duration, then wipe it with a soft towel and reinstall. Usually the sensor needs to be cleaned thoroughly after 6 months, but they can foul very quickly in some situations, 4 months would not be too unusual and can just be because calcium is dosed near by, Magnesium is low, etc or there is some foam accumulating or algae growth.
Thanks for the quick reply! I will try a soak in vinegar regardless and report back!

OP
OP
ctopherl

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This worked perfectly, thank you!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back