Turtle's Miniature Menagerie

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing where they can fit.

I want another snowflake but, my last one, was 30" long and about as big around as a paper towel roll, decided he could move a weighted egg crate top and carpet surf. :(

Your eel is nice looking for sure.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing where they can fit.

I want another snowflake but, my last one, was 30" long and about as big around as a paper towel roll, decided he could move a weighted egg crate top and carpet surf. :(

Your eel is nice looking for sure.

I REALLY want a skeletor in my 90, but... rock slide, fish eating and carpet surfing are my fears. I'll probably end up with one eventually. Once I know I can control nutrient export a bit better than I am now, it'll probably happen. I can't resist eels.

One day, I'll have a large moray eel reef tank.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something showed up at the house today!

20190121_194927.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EHaddad Robin can tell you how to construct your cave. He's had a few different eels.

Step one, buy pukani rock
Step two, freak out when eel disappears
Step three, find eel inside pukani rock

@EHaddad Any other specifics, it's really just stacking rocks in a manner that is both visually appealing, stable(very important, eels are strong) and provides a few different openings which the eel can poke his head out of. Different openings is important. They dont have to be all connected, but in the wild, eels have several different caves they use for protection and for hunting. Replicate this and you will have a happy eel. If you want more pointers PM or shoot me a link to your thread. I'll be happy to help.

Last edited:

Calizfresh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank choice and love that eel, had one in my 34g rsm awhile ago with a couple clowns, pistol shrimp goby pair and a blenny. Was thinking about doing this setup up with a drop off. Maybe sometime down the road. Will be following!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank choice and love that eel, had one in my 34g rsm awhile ago with a couple clowns, pistol shrimp goby pair and a blenny. Was thinking about doing this setup up with a drop off. Maybe sometime down the road. Will be following!
Thanks and welcome aboard. Goings may be slow... so maybe every now and then blow on the sails a bit for me.

I'm still up in the air about lighting choice, but think I have it narrowed down. I had an idea for a light, but it's not made for a peninsula. I sent an email seeing if it could be made long ways(since they are all handmade in the USA, and I think all it would be is putting the hole on the short end) but haven't gotten a response.

Regardless, my next step is to go to the paint store and get a color matched. I had some gray sitting in the garage from an old project that I never ended up using, but as luck would have it, it was the wrong color gray. I think there's a book about how many shades of gray there are.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction!!! I DO have an email from them, and it CAN be made peninsula style.

Well butter my biscuits and call me darlin'. Hand made, in the USA, with built in wifi control! I think we decided on a light. I'm responding to the email now. I'll let y'all know something soon.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have we named the eel yet? Has it eaten?
I think I have a name... I'll reveal it soon. It did eat again Monday night. Thawed some more Chunky since it seems to have the most interest in it. Looked like a piece of white fish. Went right after it. Remember in the first Lord of the Rings movie when Bilbo handed Frodo the ring, then tried to take it back? That face he made... yep, that's what the eel looked like. I'll feed again tomorrow.

CoAgB.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back