Turtle's Miniature Menagerie

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how you can keep up with so many tanks. I struggle just having one! I would love to do something with mangroves as I find them fascinating but if I do, it will be something plumbed into my main system.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update, Robin!

Wow, so... long time no post.
@crusso1993, @Brew12, I'm typing right now.... ... they just have a cool factor that macro algae doesn't.

I realize most things in the hobby, like life, are highly subjective. However, if you think macro algae doesn't have a cool factor then you might change your mind after reading the below thread. Really, I think you're going to love it and hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how you can keep up with so many tanks. I struggle just having one! I would love to do something with mangroves as I find them fascinating but if I do, it will be something plumbed into my main system.
Nothing to dose here, by design, just water changes. Ricordea and RFAs do not use calcium and alkalinity. The 90 needs some work still, the betta tank is just water changes, and my bowfront is getting and upgrade soon... I'm going to turn the Reefer250 into a planted tank. Back down to 2 salt and 2 fresh tanks.

The mangroves are definitely fun and adds an extra element to the tank. Like a bridge between aquatic and terrestrial.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update, Robin!

I realize most things in the hobby, like life, are highly subjective. However, if you think macro algae doesn't have a cool factor then you might change your mind after reading the below thread. Really, I think you're going to love it and hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

You are correct... what I had in mind when I said macroalgae, was chaeto in a sump lit buy a red/blue grow light. Macro displays are beautiful in their own way. I had one very briefly... small 10g that housed a dwarf moray and an urchin until the urchin ate all the algae. It was a cheap on sale red algae pack, and I needed something while I was between tanks so he did not starve. The algae also kept ammonia build up from the eel down.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct... what I had in mind when I said macroalgae, was chaeto in a sump lit buy a red/blue grow light. Macro displays are beautiful in their own way. I had one very briefly... small 10g that housed a dwarf moray and an urchin until the urchin ate all the algae. It was a cheap on sale red algae pack, and I needed something while I was between tanks so he did not starve. The algae also kept ammonia build up from the eel down.

Sweet! Thanks for the clarification.

It would be great if you read the thread and care to let me know your thoughts on the tank thread I posted.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about mangroves being cool. I plan on having a display with some in it and lagoon type fish. I might even put a mister on a timer to keep the leaves washed down.

How's that going to work? Going to coax some poor, drunken, homeless guy into the store with an offer of booze? Then put a hose with a hand-operated sprayer set to fine in his hand and every so often yell, "Hey, mister, squeeze the trigger!"

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well How much did turtle get done today? What's you going to do with the reefer :cool:
1578089405053.png

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's that going to work? Going to coax some poor, drunken, homeless guy into the store with an offer of booze? Then put a hose with a hand-operated sprayer set to fine in his hand and every so often yell, "Hey, mister, squeeze the trigger!"

20200104_172007.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got new fish! They are fish I have kept before but a few years ago. I always wanted another pair, and I FINALLY found them. It's a mated pair of hi fin gobys with a pistol shrimp. I already have a pistol shrimp, but I read that they get along with each other so there shouldn't be a problem. They came in looking healthy and are in hiding still, but I have a picture from acclimation.

20200116_141037.jpg

Back