two angels together

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to get an Emperor Angel, but presently have a lemon peel angel. What are your thoughts as far as compatability? Lemon peel is about 2 1/2" and have had him for 6 months. If I get a larger Emperor Angel will it negate the aggressiveness of the lemon peel??

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have?

You will need to worry about the Emperor, they become more dominant as they mature. The Lemon Peel won't stand a chance.

Are you planning on getting a juvi?

I currently have a Emperor, French and Queen all living happily together in a 425g tank. They are all around 8" long, I got them when they were tiny and grew up together.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combining angelfshes is never easy, less when you already have an established fish that practically owns the territory, the real question is how big is your tank? An emperor angel demands a large tank, angels are aggressive towards each other in a closed space such as a tank, but if your tank is big enough to house them then it may be a matter of "welcoming them" and that's it, although it also depends of the emperor's personality, it is also possible that he becomes aggressive against lemonpeel. I suppose you want to acquire a juvenile copy.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also caution that adding a large angelfish to address or mitigate aggression in a dwarf isn't a great idea. You may well end up with a dead lemonpeel or, at the very least, a fish that has to be rehomed. I'd deal with any aggression issues in your tank before adding any other fish to your tank.

OP
OP
Keywest99

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combining angelfshes is never easy, less when you already have an established fish that practically owns the territory, the real question is how big is your tank? An emperor angel demands a large tank, angels are aggressive towards each other in a closed space such as a tank, but if your tank is big enough to house them then it may be a matter of "welcoming them" and that's it, although it also depends of the emperor's personality, it is also possible that he becomes aggressive against lemonpeel. I suppose you want to acquire a juvenile copy.
My tank is 125 gallons. The only aggression I've seen from the Lemon Peel is tail wagging against a Watchman Goby.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my S650 which is around 150g I have

Emperor (now maturing to adult colours)
Blue face
Regal
Coral beauty
Flame

The emperor was the last angel added and they all get along fine, including the numerous other fish like triggers, tangs…….

But it all depends on the individual fish

OP
OP
Keywest99

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 125 gallons. The only aggression I've seen from the Lemon Peel is tail wagging against a Watchman

You will need to worry about the Emperor, they become more dominant as they mature. The Lemon Peel won't stand a chance.

I currently have a Emperor, French and Queen all living happily together in a 425g tank. They are all around 8" long, I got them when they were tiny and grew up together.

Goby.

OP
OP
Keywest99

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes planning on Juvi. I recently rehomed a PBT after he killed the last two fish that I put in.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cb. Had one my previous tank and when I upgraded to a 125 gallon tank. I added a second cb. No problems at all.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good tank size for a juvenile, you may need a bigger tank later, speaking only of the emperor. IMO, I don't think you have aggressiveness problems because both fish will be comfortable, in fact you can add more angels but all with caution and a couple of tricks, if there is aggression it should not exceed the hours of "welcome" to the tank, after each one will do his thing.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine, they most likely wont even pay any attention to each other.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The emperor should be fine towards the lemonpeel, large angels rarely show aggression towards dwarves.

The dwarf on the other hand could be the aggressor, especially if the emperor you get is of similar size. If they're well established, sometimes they are indiscriminate towards new angels, regardless of genus.

When you introduce, I'd recommend putting a barrier up for a day or two so the emperor can get settled in the tank in case the lemonpeel goes on rampage.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using an eggcrate cage to install the newcomer(s) for a few days has worked well for me. I have used it to introduce a blue line first and then two bispinosa.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i added my emperor (juvi) it was like all other fish kinda knew he was going to end up boss & he never took any heat from anyone.
That said he is now boss & he's a grumpy old man, constantly makes sure everyone knows their place.
I have as far as angels go, the emperor, a majestic, a regal & a flame together.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back