two nero 3 for 75 gallon tank

SpeedyPolecat56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m just starting out making my first saltwater tank and for what i’m doing i think 2 nero 3s should work i’m going to start out with soft coral’s maybe as time goes on the next stage up. i’m just looking for someone else’s experience.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’m just starting out making my first saltwater tank and for what i’m doing i think 2 nero 3s should work i’m going to start out with soft coral’s maybe as time goes on the next stage up. i’m just looking for someone else’s experience.
I have 4 x Nero 5's in my 75g display which is a mixed reef, equal SPS and LPS.
They run at about 75% at the moment.
I also have a Sicce 5.0 return pump which creates a fair amount of flow.

Considering the small difference in price I'd probably go 2 x Nero 5 rather than Nero 3.

What dimensions are the tank?

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 nero 3’s in my wb 103.3 which is a 70 display. I had dead spots for 9 months and wound up with 6 mixed powerheads to get good flow. I have 2 gyres now with 2 extras tunzes across the back. I loved those neros but they weren't strong enough for any sps. I would say get the 5’s at least but count on supplementing them with some smaller heads for sure.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 nero 3's in my 48g I'd put more if they would fit, just like lights imo, better to have to many and turn them down, rather than not enough an unable to turn them up.

Start with 2 and add on as needed. The nero is a good product, but any pump will move water.

Last edited:

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your inhabitants can take it, it's better to run more flow rather than less for the sake of being able to stir detritus off of the sand bed. I'd probably go with a couple of Nero 5's just because they have the potential to put out enough flow in that system to keep lps later on if you wanted and for now, you can turn the speed down, have plenty of flow for softies and have quiet running pumps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back