Two part unbalanced issue

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,

I have notice recently when I added same amount of two parts (dosing pump checked), my alk is descreaing and cal is increasing. Any thought?

Week 1
Alk 7.7 ( correct back to 8.5 by dosing 30ml of alk)
Cal 460

Week 2
Alk 7.7
Cal 470

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are you adding?

Some two parts are not designed perfectly , and all of them have to make assumptions on how much magnesium is incorporated in place of calcium (which depends on the creatures present).

Some other issues also impact the ratio of the two, such as water changes, rising or falling nitrate, sulfur denitrators, etc.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some two parts are not designed perfectly , and all of them have to make assumptions on how much magnesium is incorporated in place of calcium (which depends on the creatures present).

Some other issues also impact the ratio of the two, such as water changes, rising or falling nitrate, sulfur denitrators, etc.

I’m using brightwell 2 part and mix half water half solution in the dosing container as they sugguest

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Randy, is this article correct? If I don't archive my desire alk, then I increase both two part?

https://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/the-right-way-to-use-2-part-additives/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read the whole article, but if alk is low and calcium is anything except already too high, I'd increase both equally. In your case, that is what I would do. :)

Reef Code is reasonably close to properly balanced based on the label claim (if that is right).
Thank you!

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

Hi Randy, just want to get your opinion of the article’s example below is true or not. Thanks

1. My freshly mixed seawater has a calcium reading of 420ppm and an alkalinity reading of 3.2 meq/l (8.9 dKH). The tank was reading 430ppm and 3.05 meq/l (8.5 dKH). It was different, but close enough.
  2. I started with 15ml per 25 gallons of each component, dosed every morning.
  3. You need to wait at least a week before taking a reading. Don’t take a reading right after dosing. Wait at least several hours. I dose in the morning and when need be, take readings in the late afternoon.
  4. After waiting a week, I took my first readings. My calcium level was 510 ppm and my alkalinity was 2.9 meq/l (8.1 dKH).
  5. Yikes! The first reaction from most aquarists is that I need to add alkalinity buffers. In fact, you don’t need alkalinity buffers, you need more two-part. At this point, I raised the dosage to 20ml each per 25 gallons.
  6. After dosing for a week, new readings revealed that calcium was 450 ppm and alkalinity was reading 3.0 meq/l (8.4 dKH).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, just want to get your opinion of the article’s example below is true or not. Thanks

1. My freshly mixed seawater has a calcium reading of 420ppm and an alkalinity reading of 3.2 meq/l (8.9 dKH). The tank was reading 430ppm and 3.05 meq/l (8.5 dKH). It was different, but close enough.
  2. I started with 15ml per 25 gallons of each component, dosed every morning.
  3. You need to wait at least a week before taking a reading. Don’t take a reading right after dosing. Wait at least several hours. I dose in the morning and when need be, take readings in the late afternoon.
  4. After waiting a week, I took my first readings. My calcium level was 510 ppm and my alkalinity was 2.9 meq/l (8.1 dKH).
  5. Yikes! The first reaction from most aquarists is that I need to add alkalinity buffers. In fact, you don’t need alkalinity buffers, you need more two-part. At this point, I raised the dosage to 20ml each per 25 gallons.
  6. After dosing for a week, new readings revealed that calcium was 450 ppm and alkalinity was reading 3.0 meq/l (8.4 dKH).

Sure.

Clearly some of the changes he showed are likely test error. Specifically the jump and drop back in calcium. It would not result from what he dosed, even if the two part was improperly designed.

I think that goes to show the uncertainty in calcium measurements in some cases, and is a reason to not overreact to rapid calcium changes.

OP
OP
Kevinkmk

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure.

Clearly some of the changes he showed are likely test error. Specifically the jump and drop back in calcium. It would not result from what he dosed, even if the two part was improperly designed.

I think that goes to show the uncertainty in calcium measurements in some cases, and is a reason to not overreact to rapid calcium changes.

Thank you! So what he claim is mostly false? Should I increase both two part to solve my unbalance issue or just increase alk part higher? (One thing I notice is the brightwell bottle has some solid block that I’m not able to get it dissolve)

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see how the calcium could have risen 90 ppm with equal parts dosing, then dropped again by 60 ppm, all the while maintaining alkalinity. Makes no sense, except test error.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back