Kerber13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comedy Central Lol GIF by Awkwafina is Nora from Queens

I love your write ups and thoughtful thinking on your successes and failures. Truly enjoyed reading this thread, and I can't wait for MORE!

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comedy Central Lol GIF by Awkwafina is Nora from Queens

I love your write ups and thoughtful thinking on your successes and failures. Truly enjoyed reading this thread, and I can't wait for MORE!
wow, this is such a nice comment i had to step away for a second :oops:.

Thank you for the kind words and joining the journey! Much, much more to come!

Sincerely,

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting coral you say?
369B5C7D-9513-4FA7-BE91-22A63504BA46_1_105_c.jpeg

Part of the reason for the Pavona being up next to the Palys is to at least slow it down. As soon as i found that these can be pretty aggressive i knew exactly where it would go. And it worked pretty nicely.

I am a big fan of this pairing. The Mocha and WW Clown are very cool :cool:
6BC1A385-5A98-4C13-A452-C1D0E39E752C_1_105_c.jpeg

This is a reintroduction to Mocha and Spike.
5DF63690-4930-40FE-A7FB-9F3AC85FACD5_1_105_c.jpeg

Whats that...A new fish has appeared! And if you were wondering, the coralline algae is growing strong.
26887F63-D1C5-4EC0-A7DE-3E0A510A3D30_1_105_c.jpeg

The Banggai Cardinal affectionately known as The Cardinalfish was an excellent addition to the tank. I loved how they lazily swam around their environment, always in the open and always begging for food. It eventually finds its nesting spot next to the trumpet coral in the front. Every time i would point my finger in its direction, it would aggressively posture at me, similar too, 'Come at me Bro!!'
Come At Me Lets Fight GIF by MOODMAN

I took a risk with overloading the tank with too many additions at one time, and i suppose it was calculated...::Sigh::
0B3FFA05-FD54-4949-A8E2-D98ABABED9E3_1_105_c.jpeg

I mean how can you resist a face like that. I started to get some evidence of a second aiptasia surge so i decided to go the fish route. Overall this was an excellent decision, with some high moments, but a rocky finish...Stay tuned!

"These eggs are itchy..."
FBC27A2C-0F2B-4D9F-893A-58B2B416E620_1_105_c.jpeg

For some reason the GSP on the right side of the tank never really took off. I was not sure if it was too close to the Paly or it just never thrived after the mat was cut. Either way the Pavona and Red Monti seem happy, so that's good :)
4B22B58F-A58C-4F4D-AC8E-C4ED7DC15139_1_105_c.jpeg

And what may i ask is going on here?!?!
8FF347A4-1660-412E-B40E-85C9DD6246E4_1_105_c.jpeg

If i have not mentioned it before the thing that really drew me to a reef tank instead of freshwater is the diversity of characters you get in the ocean. I mean who doesn't want a living fossil swimming around your tank. And if you are curious about the name, The Aiptasia eating Filefish will forever be known as, Rockbiter... Whoa-ha-ha!
6C282BFA-8808-44D7-955A-395928763E1C_1_105_c.jpeg

As the tank keeps marching on i never feel settled about its direction. Should i keep running Chemipure Elite and Purigen? should i stop using one or the other? Should i introduce more diverse foods other than just frozen and black worms? Should i make my own water? What about blah, blah, blah? So many things to consider it can drive you crazy if you dont stop, take a deep breath, and try your best to enjoy your tank.

Because you never know when a new challenge will approach, even when its right in front of you.

Later Days,

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough goings on this week in the RSM S500. I had a nice Sunday out on the water lazily floating on a raft and enjoying some mid-August sun and upon my return home I noticed a strange shimmer from the top of the tank. I was just on my way upstairs when i saw it and immediately ran over to the tank already knowing someone made it through the screen top.

One of the Torpedoes out of the trio of Zebra Dartfish was shimmering away on the mesh. Since i saw it flounder i thought, just maybe i caught it in time. I got it back in the water right away and it seemed to be taking some very deep breaths but its scales were muted and looked off. I placed it gently on a rock face where it continued to breath deeply.

I took my eyes off it for a second to count the rest and the next time i looked up it was gone. At first i thought maybe it recovered and hid. What i discovered instead was that it death threw itself right into an awaiting Rainbow Anemone :eek:. Bummer.

I knew i would have jumpers so the lid was a must. Even with the tiny holes in the screen it was just enough for them to fit through. I did end up with some juvenile Dartfish so they are right around the same size as the mesh. Here is hoping they grow too big to get out the mesh soon as they always seem to have the zoomies.

I am still bummed i was not around to save it, that last glimmer of hope had me feeling good about things but ultimately ended in being sad :crying-face:. Thank you for being part of the tank little one, giving back to the ecosystem once you were gone, and being just a joy to watch.

Sincerely,

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as i like a dirty tank and am ok with some algae here and there, those little green tufts of algae showing up are a little concerning. It seems like they are nothing more than hair algae so i treated it as such. I siphoned the sandbed with my python and manually removed the tufts from the rock. Problem solved...? :thinking-face:
BF1CE0D6-6607-4685-9F1F-9FA60AF388F0_1_105_c.jpeg

With the new fish in the tank it has been great to see the added activity all around. The Bengaii Cardinal and the Filefish just made themselves at home. Zero aggression witnessed amongst the fish and everything settled in.

Back to the blues,
6B4CD880-09DB-483C-AE27-EE47D3606EB7_1_105_c.jpeg

Strike a pose!
1661214776997.jpeg

It is darn near impossible to catch all the fish in a tank for a photo. There is always one that gets scared, or is in the rockwork or hanging out with all their snail friends in the back playing poker but every once and a while they show up! And if you are wondering the answer is yes, the Tail-Spot Blenny is a real character.
43513CDC-BE8C-4C8B-AB32-1FCF6B5EF5E1_1_105_c.jpeg

I have a dog named Liz that goes by many nicknames, the void, the darkness, tiny princess, the silkiness, cutie pie, our shadow, and many others that we do not know yet! This little one likes to always be around when i am working on the tank. I am not sure if it is for entertainment due to all the swearing and minor moments of panic setting in when something goes wrong or she just loves me. Either way she is the best.
1FEC81DC-7841-488B-A800-E4DADF8CEBAE_1_105_c.jpeg

Let's talk cable management, i do not have any, there done! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

In all seriousness i wish i had it in me to keep my cables at least a little under control, eh what you gonna do...

19B6236A-C3F7-4B58-BD52-96DA57041C0D_1_105_c.jpeg

I used to wear these fancy plastic gloves (thanks wife!) to do maintenance on the tank. The BC32 was filled to the brim with bristle worms so some protection was usually a must, especially when digging at the sand or picking algae off the rocks. After just a little hair algae removal things look almost back to normal.

Oooo the GSP on the back wall is coming in strong.
0A5BBADA-9F3B-4DF8-AD24-8EFFCB8DCF6F_1_105_c.jpeg

Oh hi little one,
2B64A946-9938-455B-B000-E79BA950A132_1_105_c.jpeg

Hmm i guess i was not invited to the meeting. 'So Sorry to Interrupt!'
90E234A1-61EC-4B3A-86DF-F6F187D63D4A_1_105_c.jpeg

Big Red and Doc seem to get along fine. Doc was the only fish in the tank that let the shrimps clean him on a regular basis. He loved getting the inside of his mouth and gills done. This allowed him to keep up on his lawn and cave maintenance, and the addition of a mushroom coral door was a great finishing touch.
215E838C-44D9-421C-BB87-7F47175D13FA_1_105_c.jpeg

I just love being a reefer. As new challenges pop up i would immediately try to learn everything i could to build a better understanding. I would reach into all parts of the internet, deep dive into videos, chat with various folks at the LFS and just ponder my days away. The beauty helps bring something tangible to the hobby and the science lays a foundation for a lifetime of learning.

Later days,

B-Kind

Last edited:

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as i like a dirty tank and am ok with some algae here and there, those little green tufts of algae showing up are a little concerning. It seems like they are nothing more than hair algae so i treated it as such. I siphoned the sandbed with my python and manually removed the tufts from the rock. Problem solved...? :thinking-face:
BF1CE0D6-6607-4685-9F1F-9FA60AF388F0_1_105_c.jpeg

With the new fish in the tank it has been great to see the added activity all around. The Bengaii Cardinal and the Filefish just made themselves at home. Zero aggression witnessed amongst the fish and everything settled in.

Back to the blues,
6B4CD880-09DB-483C-AE27-EE47D3606EB7_1_105_c.jpeg

Strike a pose!
1661214776997.jpeg

It is darn near impossible to catch all the fish in a tank for a photo. There is always one that gets scared, or is in the rockwork or hanging out with all their snail friends in the back playing poker but every once and a while they show up! And if you are wondering the answer is yes, the Tail-Spot Blenny is a real character.
43513CDC-BE8C-4C8B-AB32-1FCF6B5EF5E1_1_105_c.jpeg

I have a dog named Liz that goes by many nicknames, the void, the darkness, tiny princess, the silkiness, cutie pie, our shadow, and many others that we do not know yet! This little one likes to always be around when i am working on the tank. I am not sure if it is for entertainment due to all the swearing and minor moments of panic setting in when something goes wrong or she just loves me. Either way she is the best.
1FEC81DC-7841-488B-A800-E4DADF8CEBAE_1_105_c.jpeg

Let's talk cable management, i do not have any, there done! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

In all seriousness i wish i had it in me to keep my cables at least a little under control, eh what you gonna do...

19B6236A-C3F7-4B58-BD52-96DA57041C0D_1_105_c.jpeg

I used to wear these fancy plastic gloves (thanks wife!) to do maintenance on the tank. The BC32 was filled to the brim with bristle worms so some protection was usually a must, especially when digging at the sand or picking algae off the rocks. After just a little hair algae removal things look almost back to normal.

Oooo the GSP on the back wall is coming in strong.
0A5BBADA-9F3B-4DF8-AD24-8EFFCB8DCF6F_1_105_c.jpeg

Oh hi little one,
2B64A946-9938-455B-B000-E79BA950A132_1_105_c.jpeg

Hmm i guess i was not invited to the meeting. 'So Sorry to Interrupt!'
90E234A1-61EC-4B3A-86DF-F6F187D63D4A_1_105_c.jpeg

Big Red and Doc seem to get along fine. Doc was the only fish in the tank that let the shrimps clean him on a regular basis. He loved getting the inside of his mouth and gills done. This allowed him to keep up on his lawn and cave maintenance, and the addition of a mushroom coral door was a great finishing touch.
215E838C-44D9-421C-BB87-7F47175D13FA_1_105_c.jpeg

I just love being a reefer. As new challenges pop up i would immediately try to learn everything i could to build a better understanding. I would reach into all parts of the internet, deep dive into videos, chat with various folks at the LFS and just ponder my days away. The beauty helps bring something tangible to the hobby and the science lays a foundation for a lifetime of learning.

Later days,

B-Kind
Love the Banggai I miss mine. It’s funny when I first start reefing In high school, I never understood the appeal of the Banggai. Then I got my tank stocked with one and now that she has passed, I truly miss seeing her.

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Banggai I miss mine. It’s funny when I first start reefing In high school, I never understood the appeal of the Banggai. Then I got my tank stocked with one and now that she has passed, I truly miss seeing her.
It still amazes me how a fish seemingly so simple can be equally complex, mysterious, and more curious than some of its faster moving counterparts. They are absolutely a joy to watch.
7D86CC00-AAFA-4BB3-A6D0-145135DA1D7A_1_105_c.jpeg

That's pretty cool you initially started back in high school, left it behind, then came back to it later on. It does make me wonder if i would have got as hooked on the hobby if i started younger. I feel discovering it as an adult has me better suited to actually learn what is needed. As a kid i loved reptiles, never learned more than the basics and just hoped i was treating them well. It makes me shutter a bit thinking about how truly uneducated i was.

I have a long way to go to say i am a successful reefer but at least i have set myself up for success with baseline knowledge and attentiveness.

Later days,

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy i have had the chance to share my reef with the community. I have never wanted the most beautiful reef that won every award and received a small standing ovation every time i shared it to a group of people, I just wanted something i could be proud of and sit back and relax to after a long day in the world. And the Biocube certainly did deliver early on.

Acanthastrea, feeding response anyone?
789D020E-E3AF-4CF2-8C12-637A19DE7BF9_1_105_c.jpeg

The trumpet coral looking darn sexy in the moonlight,
D521BB8D-E8F7-4EC0-BB55-4F17B91BE172_1_105_c.jpeg

Some hitchikers are cooler than others. I absolutely loved all the sponges, bivalves, and sea squirts (more fun to say than Tunicates) that showed up with my live rock and coral.
9480F1BA-0310-48A6-B129-285E458C8A7E_1_105_c.jpeg

I have a soft spot for most invertebrates in the tank. I just didn't have to pay for the hitchhikers :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:. The entertainment value of my crabs is still fairly high though!

'To the sand my noble steed!'
5B985AD9-32A0-4355-8222-71E0E46B3403_1_105_c.jpeg

Ahhhh another dead crab....j/k just another molt.
6C7887B3-9756-4DD6-81C1-7E2DCEDD6AA1_1_105_c.jpeg

'Thanks for the scare, ya punks!'
2C112E42-F996-4F87-8EDB-A71EBF41AA2E_1_105_c.jpeg

'What you up too? Weird you are upside down huh?' Bangaii probably,
2C777D06-3496-40FB-A3E1-10EDBDAAF108_1_105_c.jpeg

The fish tank is in a den just off the kitchen and bathroom which is named the Red Room. Every once and a while after a Friday night of chatting, some adult beverages, and music I decide to sit in front of the tank with a barber chair so i can chat and zone out at the same time. And just because i am a little weird here is an unsolicited pic from the bathroom ;).
6F37ED2F-D612-4171-9C63-C2D502AD3EE9_1_105_c.jpeg

Made you look!

B-Kind

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still amazes me how a fish seemingly so simple can be equally complex, mysterious, and more curious than some of its faster moving counterparts. They are absolutely a joy to watch.
7D86CC00-AAFA-4BB3-A6D0-145135DA1D7A_1_105_c.jpeg

That's pretty cool you initially started back in high school, left it behind, then came back to it later on. It does make me wonder if i would have got as hooked on the hobby if i started younger. I feel discovering it as an adult has me better suited to actually learn what is needed. As a kid i loved reptiles, never learned more than the basics and just hoped i was treating them well. It makes me shutter a bit thinking about how truly uneducated i was.

I have a long way to go to say i am a successful reefer but at least i have set myself up for success with baseline knowledge and attentiveness.

Later days,

B-Kind
I did, however I cringe thinking back how little I knew and the mistakes that I made. There are some too shameful to admit and document on the internet. :face-with-tears-of-joy: I had no idea about fish needs and just bought what I thought was pretty. The store owners never questioned me, so I had no idea. My boyfriend at the time was the one guiding me and I just assumed he knew what he was doing. Clearly, he did not lol. I think at one point, I had a mandarin, yellow tang, purple tang, cow fish, and a snowflake eel in what was probably a 30 gallon.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

The information at our fingertips is such a gift in many ways. It can also be a curse. For me, too many opinions can cause me to overthink what I am doing. I move really slow in this hobby now. I have ideas of what steps I would like to make next, and often it is many months before I actually make moves in that direction. Part of it, is how much everything costs now. Part of it, is just making sure I am going about it the right way before I execute.

I also have a soft spot for invertebrates and find myself drawn to those more than the fish. I do love my fish but the inverts really make me grin.

Hope you have a wonderful day! I love your posts and the photography! Keep it coming :star-struck:

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, however I cringe thinking back how little I knew and the mistakes that I made. There are some too shameful to admit and document on the internet. :face-with-tears-of-joy: I had no idea about fish needs and just bought what I thought was pretty. The store owners never questioned me, so I had no idea. My boyfriend at the time was the one guiding me and I just assumed he knew what he was doing. Clearly, he did not lol. I think at one point, I had a mandarin, yellow tang, purple tang, cow fish, and a snowflake eel in what was probably a 30 gallon.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

The information at our fingertips is such a gift in many ways. It can also be a curse. For me, too many opinions can cause me to overthink what I am doing. I move really slow in this hobby now. I have ideas of what steps I would like to make next, and often it is many months before I actually make moves in that direction. Part of it, is how much everything costs now. Part of it, is just making sure I am going about it the right way before I execute.

I also have a soft spot for invertebrates and find myself drawn to those more than the fish. I do love my fish but the inverts really make me grin.

Hope you have a wonderful day! I love your posts and the photography! Keep it coming :star-struck:
haha, i think we can all look back on our high school days and agree too, NOT LOOK BACK ON THOSE DAYS EVER!
Sad In A Box GIF

You also have an awesome Gif game @rmorris_14 I like how they add just the right amount of punch to your statements!
200.gif

You also have an awesome day!

Sincerely,

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do love my fish. Coral. Snails. Shrimp. Pods. Rock. Sands. Algae. Sea Water. Glass. And so much more.
3371C901-07A1-4A28-A5B2-4653A68B7391_1_105_c.jpeg

I am absolutely infatuated with this ecosystem.

At Sunset.
33178D9D-7E50-4CE8-835B-96AA695FA238_1_105_c.jpeg

In da Moonlight! How many shrimp do i have? :face-with-monocle:
6A93F503-21A7-458D-91CB-54649EF91333_1_105_c.jpeg

And Characters everywhere.
13E5EA56-2E20-44F9-A385-7B8C369FE627_1_105_c.jpeg

I am happy i dug this lifestyle up and have been having a blast.

I still have a first love that will not go away.

Dogs!
4CD09414-5B3C-4F88-B759-9F2AA953F2D3_1_105_c.jpeg

Growing up i always had dogs, starting with Chocolate Labs, Schnauzer, Italian Greyhounds, a Blue Heeler. My first adoptions were two mutts, one from the Denver Dumb Friends League and another from a puppy rescue.

Lizzy came first from the Dumb Friends League. She is our spare parts dog.
IMAG1068.jpg

Oliver came after we bought our first house in Colorado. He is a wild man, Red Heeler / Basenji mix
IMAG0604.jpg

After a long day at work coming home to the excitement and love they give is like nothing else. I definitely have a connection to these animals that just cannot be replicated.

Lizzy was a great on leash hunter. We would walk around our apartments neighborhood enjoying a little fresh air. There are bunnies everywhere in Colorado. Walking down the stairs of a park there was a baby bun just hanging out at the bottom. I took a step over it and Liz did not miss it. She saw it, grabbed it, realized it was alive, and threw it up to eye level. The little thing ran off in a blaze and got away, phew close one! Eh she still got another 5 on our walks over the next few years but at least that one got away :eek:

63719F8B-E71C-4CB0-8B20-5D06B50535CF.png

Oliver is a screamer. Kind of a weird thing to come home to, a blood curdling scream of excitement but it is from a place of love. When we first got the guy he was high strung, fresh from a puppy mill from New Mexico, was a parvo survivor and just up for adoption once he was cured at 5 months. Oliver had long legs, little body, and a huge head. We used to watch in laughter as Liz would linebacker the boy and run right through his legs while they played. But one day as they made chase Oliver hit his leg on the landscaping bricks and started to scream. And not just any scream, alarm screaming in rhythm, wild. No damage, no boo-boo, just had a fright.
83C19EE5-AA19-400C-A5FC-B9222D2CD6DF_1_105_c.jpeg

These two may not always like each other that much and brawl when the stars are aligned just so. But dang they are siblings through and through. Strong disagreements, and stronger love,
4C4EF585-54AA-4B87-AA5A-3E52D0DBEA95_1_105_c.jpeg

Live long, adopt dogs,

B-Kind

Last edited:
OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am lucky this Labor Day as i do get to travel to see the family in Michigan. I have no PTO left so i am taking advantage of an extra day off.

So of course this means i am feeling angst in my tummy since i am leaving the tanks and home front. I will admit that it is not near as bad as it used to be. I luckily have an awesome wife who works from home, so a whole home generator made sense for both of us. I booted up the new tank about 6 months before i got it so anytime we left before, all i felt was dread :eek:. We live in an area where it goes out often due to weather/accidents/just because, so you just never know. We also have found a house sitter that actually stays at the house, HOORAY! She may overfeed or underfeed a little, and knows nothing about fish tanks, but i am just happy to have someone watching the farm.

In the past i could manage the Biocube with bubblers, ice packs, or hot water bags for heat but the larger tank would have been a bear to deal with. Especially having someone else go through that process.

Of course my RSM S500 is second hand so the pumps in the back are all original, during some power outages they dont like to turn back on till i mess with them a bit so this is a bummer but i am too cheap to replace them quite yet. Though this is a good reminder that i need to suck it up and buy backups (return and rear overflow pumps).

I stated it once before that through therapy i have been journaling or blogging more when i start to feel off. This is a good example of getting it out of my head so i dont have to keep ping-ponging ideas all day till i start to worry or my angst grows to a more negative space.

It has been interesting that i have started to work on tinkering with my idea of angst and being nervous. I have learned that these two ideas in many cases are not negative at all but positive for you are pushing yourself in new areas and your body is just trying to protect you. Deciphering for a minute and being ok in this state has helped a ton in life. From one of my favorite sports teams, Go Lions! A head office figure Brad Holmes spoke of an old mentors quote that stuck with him and it really resonated with me after discovering these new ideas.

"If you're not nervous, you're not ready"

I am ready and am excited about my trip, and i am still nervous about leaving the home front. But after writing the voice in my head is a little quieter,

Later days,

B-Kind

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am lucky this Labor Day as i do get to travel to see the family in Michigan. I have no PTO left so i am taking advantage of an extra day off.

So of course this means i am feeling angst in my tummy since i am leaving the tanks and home front. I will admit that it is not near as bad as it used to be. I luckily have an awesome wife who works from home, so a whole home generator made sense for both of us. I booted up the new tank about 6 months before i got it so anytime we left before, all i felt was dread :eek:. We live in an area where it goes out often due to weather/accidents/just because, so you just never know. We also have found a house sitter that actually stays at the house, HOORAY! She may overfeed or underfeed a little, and knows nothing about fish tanks, but i am just happy to have someone watching the farm.

In the past i could manage the Biocube with bubblers, ice packs, or hot water bags for heat but the larger tank would have been a bear to deal with. Especially having someone else go through that process.

Of course my RSM S500 is second hand so the pumps in the back are all original, during some power outages they dont like to turn back on till i mess with them a bit so this is a bummer but i am too cheap to replace them quite yet. Though this is a good reminder that i need to suck it up and buy backups (return and rear overflow pumps).

I stated it once before that through therapy i have been journaling or blogging more when i start to feel off. This is a good example of getting it out of my head so i dont have to keep ping-ponging ideas all day till i start to worry or my angst grows to a more negative space.

It has been interesting that i have started to work on tinkering with my idea of angst and being nervous. I have learned that these two ideas in many cases are not negative at all but positive for you are pushing yourself in new areas and your body is just trying to protect you. Deciphering for a minute and being ok in this state has helped a ton in life. From one of my favorite sports teams, Go Lions! A head office figure Brad Holmes spoke of an old mentors quote that stuck with him and it really resonated with me after discovering these new ideas.

"If you're not nervous, you're not ready"

I am ready and am excited about my trip, and i am still nervous about leaving the home front. But after writing the voice in my head is a little quieter,

Later days,

B-Kind
How did it end up going? No news is usually good news ;)

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did it end up going? No news is usually good news ;)

I had mixed feelings on my return home this time. The first thing i always check is my RODI reservoir on the back of the tank in the RSM S500 and the water level on the Biocube which both were good. During the summer with the fan running to cool down the RSM the RODI seems to disappear within three days, the good news is it has been cooling down here so i dont need the fan resulting in about 7-8 days of RODI hooray! From there i start the visual inspection, count the fish, check coral/anemone health and just generally make sure everything is in the same shape i left it. The sump section was in good shape for the most part but the skimmer was very full and about to overflow which tells me there may have been some overfeeding happening. So overall i am happy to come home to everything running as it should.

Later days,

B-Kind

Last edited:
OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several posts meandering about dogs, travel, and various concerns with my tanks i realized that i have gotten off topic. I have been stalling a bit as i move into the 'fall' of the Biocube. So lets enjoy it for its pure beauty for a little longer! :)

Lets bring it back,
6D2C4F01-0C3F-460B-AD85-98A2160387E6_1_105_c.jpeg

The Tailspot Blenny is questioning his existence, or just looking for food, who knows?
108E92CC-3CEF-4FD9-8D00-DE0F4D2D2A47_1_105_c.jpeg

Hmm something is changing on the reef?
99D05798-46D3-480D-B875-E5BB5BB02611_1_105_c.jpeg

As the pandemic came up in 2020 i started making my own water for the first time. I had never made my own water throughout the first year so i went to the LFS for a last minute RODI buy in order to do so. I bought the Aquatic Life Twist in 4-stage RODI unit, 5-gallon Home Depot bucket a TDS meter, a 200 gallon box of Fritz Pro Reef salt, a cheap 1000gph pump, and a heater.

I really like the contrast in colors the pipe organ and GSP have in this shot.
1663441688108.jpeg

I had to tie in the RODI unit to the faucet in the upstairs guest bathroom. Seemed like a good place to keep things out of the way. While making the RODI water the second time, i walked away to do some chores and sure enough, i forgot all about the water running upstairs :astonished-face:. Right in the middle of cooking dinner my wife stated from the living room, "Why is there water dripping on my head?" ah-oh :eek:. I ran upstairs and sure enough the water flooded the entire bathroom.

9A06C2BB-B362-41A7-9906-F017FC5D893D_1_105_c.jpeg

Big Whoops. I ended up stating a rule out loud whenever i have water running from here on out.
'If there is water on, there is a timer on' or 'Water on, timer on' - take your pick...

As the tank started to mature i found some very cool sponges growing out of my GSP. This one is just starting to blossom into a beautiful tree of sponge.
502FDC89-5A8C-46D6-8677-CE7F269A8455_1_105_c.jpeg

'Is this my anemone, feels weird?'
C3CE6FA4-2DA0-4C45-9B90-6EA974001FC8_1_105_c.jpeg

Stay back i'm armed!
3AA2CD8E-7185-4A05-BB07-20C100D69105_1_105_c.jpeg

The InTank media and fuge baskets were a great buy. They are much sturdier than the original basket that comes stock with the BC. I really like the way the media basket traps all the medias inside so they are easy to change out, and stay right where you put them.
7D96744B-1690-48CD-BD71-C462F0869213_1_105_c.jpeg

Chaeto was the easy part. 'Baby snail i see you...'
A8898CAE-7BD3-43CA-A9C6-51A7CCC71B86_1_105_c.jpeg

I will wrap this up with some fresh new euphyllia coral and a charming tuxedo urchin for my algae troubles.
68901AC8-0646-433D-AEED-DDE655E76B68_1_105_c.jpeg

Most of these photos were taken around the Biocubes first birthday with us. What a joy this tank has been.

Later days,

B-Kind

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several posts meandering about dogs, travel, and various concerns with my tanks i realized that i have gotten off topic. I have been stalling a bit as i move into the 'fall' of the Biocube. So lets enjoy it for its pure beauty for a little longer! :)

Lets bring it back,
6D2C4F01-0C3F-460B-AD85-98A2160387E6_1_105_c.jpeg

The Tailspot Blenny is questioning his existence, or just looking for food, who knows?
108E92CC-3CEF-4FD9-8D00-DE0F4D2D2A47_1_105_c.jpeg

Hmm something is changing on the reef?
99D05798-46D3-480D-B875-E5BB5BB02611_1_105_c.jpeg

As the pandemic came up in 2020 i started making my own water for the first time. I had never made my own water throughout the first year so i went to the LFS for a last minute RODI buy in order to do so. I bought the Aquatic Life Twist in 4-stage RODI unit, 5-gallon Home Depot bucket a TDS meter, a 200 gallon box of Fritz Pro Reef salt, a cheap 1000gph pump, and a heater.

I really like the contrast in colors the pipe organ and GSP have in this shot.
1663441688108.jpeg

I had to tie in the RODI unit to the faucet in the upstairs guest bathroom. Seemed like a good place to keep things out of the way. While making the RODI water the second time, i walked away to do some chores and sure enough, i forgot all about the water running upstairs :astonished-face:. Right in the middle of cooking dinner my wife stated from the living room, "Why is there water dripping on my head?" ah-oh :eek:. I ran upstairs and sure enough the water flooded the entire bathroom.

9A06C2BB-B362-41A7-9906-F017FC5D893D_1_105_c.jpeg

Big Whoops. I ended up stating a rule out loud whenever i have water running from here on out.
'If there is water on, there is a timer on' or 'Water on, timer on' - take your pick...

As the tank started to mature i found some very cool sponges growing out of my GSP. This one is just starting to blossom into a beautiful tree of sponge.
502FDC89-5A8C-46D6-8677-CE7F269A8455_1_105_c.jpeg

'Is this my anemone, feels weird?'
C3CE6FA4-2DA0-4C45-9B90-6EA974001FC8_1_105_c.jpeg

Stay back i'm armed!
3AA2CD8E-7185-4A05-BB07-20C100D69105_1_105_c.jpeg

The InTank media and fuge baskets were a great buy. They are much sturdier than the original basket that comes stock with the BC. I really like the way the media basket traps all the medias inside so they are easy to change out, and stay right where you put them.
7D96744B-1690-48CD-BD71-C462F0869213_1_105_c.jpeg

Chaeto was the easy part. 'Baby snail i see you...'
A8898CAE-7BD3-43CA-A9C6-51A7CCC71B86_1_105_c.jpeg

I will wrap this up with some fresh new euphyllia coral and a charming tuxedo urchin for my algae troubles.
68901AC8-0646-433D-AEED-DDE655E76B68_1_105_c.jpeg

Most of these photos were taken around the Biocubes first birthday with us. What a joy this tank has been.

Later days,

B-Kind
"The Tailspot Blenny is questioning his existence, or just looking for food, who knows?" made me LOL

How do you like your tuxedo? I've been considering one for a while now but just haven't pulled the trigger.

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall i would give my tuxedo urchin a 3 out of 5 stars. Great little addition and just loved watching it roam the tank. It was also an urchin of many hats,
191AA4F9-836E-4005-BDBA-66FA0122BFDE_1_105_c.jpeg

The reason for a reduction on the review is that it got a taste for my coralline algae and hung on the back wall most days eating it. And it had a habit of ripping my GSP polyps off the back wall and carrying them around. I did enjoy watching it, so i never took it out. It started about the size of a quarter and grew to 2.5-3" diameter.

Have a good one,

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water, a war is brewing between two crabs of great strength and skill. The prize, some old exposed glue from a failed frag...

Crabs are weird,
1E808560-0C15-4EEC-80B1-49C72176926F_1_105_c.jpeg

One of the cool things about having these anemone crabs out in the open on a regular basis was noticing their exoskeleton change over time. Whenever they were about to molt the shell would be noticeably dirty. Then once molted they would be bright white and the process would start over.

Checking out the sandbed it appears big red is enjoying his time with the green mushrooms. These mushrooms have an interesting habit of splitting and 'moving' to other parts of the rockscape. I always enjoyed this as it was a few less corals i would have to buy to take up rock space.
A0B80479-F8F2-46C1-9828-28F83E615203_1_105_c.jpeg

Even with some of the algae issues creeping up i still was not afraid to add a couple more corals to the mix. I added my first Blasto, Gorgonian, and thought i would try a Rock Flower Anemone.

This is just after the addition to the tank...
E027B718-C381-4D89-9EEF-A8AD9F095011_1_105_c.jpeg

Now i made a couple mistakes with these additions. First the tanks balance has been out of whack for a while so attempting a Blasto proved to be foolish (hindsight and all). I did not test at all once the pandemic hit so my understanding of what was going on in the tank was almost zero.

The second concern was the rock flower anemone. I didn't care that it was not the prettiest in the daylight setting of the biocube, i just wanted it to be healthy and happy. The problem was my Aiptasia Eating Filefish. Rockbitter really appreciated the expensive snack and pretty much ate it within a week. That was my bad. As you can see in the picture above, it was stalking it as soon as i put it in the tank.

Speaking of concerning developments that i did not understand at the time.
C50EFE45-A33A-4608-88DF-1ECC283A20B9_1_105_c.jpeg

For those following along the hammer coral is different in this photo then a month or two ago. My previous hammer was a bright green solid color that seemed to be flourishing and then without warning had complete polyp bailout :confounded-face:. This should have been an early indicator that my elements (Alk, Cal, Mag) were getting out of whack but i did not recognize it without testing. So i immediately replaced it with a multi-colored hammer and kept reefing on.

Not sure why i felt the need to take a black and white photo of the tank, but it was kinda cool all the same.
0A669376-A7C6-48F9-87F9-6A657B83C2CB_1_105_c.jpeg

Teddy Bundy the Skunk Cleaner shrimp was one of my first additions to the tank. It lived to roam for food, walk upside down on the top of the water column, clean any fish that came near, have the biggest whiskers in the business, and have clutch after clutch of eggs even without a mate. One of my favorite interactions with the tank is getting a thorough cleaning by Teddy while i was doing maintenance, they certainly had a way of finding every cut, scratch, and hangnail available to pick at.
F86CB759-9A74-4201-A963-34DD3126BC20_1_105_c.jpeg

This is one of the last pictures of Teddy before they passed. I actually shed a small tear for the guy and buried him in the garden to give back to the earth. Thank you for being such a joy to watch and care for.

Later days,

B-Kind

Last edited:
OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about we start with a FTS today? The glass is extra dirty. I always liked watching the Tailspot Blenny eat off the glass so i decided at one point that i would leave part of the glass untouched. The back right filled with film and coralline algae quickly and there were Blenny kiss :face-blowing-a-kiss: prints all over.
3468036A-FD2F-4B6A-ADDD-680A3C623987_1_105_c.jpeg

It appears my Clownfish pair is starting a gang and boxing out non-members. The Blenny is just an onlooker (that is what he wants you to think anyways),
4C960046-6F4F-44C2-ABC0-3E4FDA8E5329_1_105_c.jpeg

The Urchin is all over the tank and is still very small. I found it hanging on the return for an evening picnic and stargazing.
317E214F-D64F-41D8-B2F5-0FDBA6138073_1_105_c.jpeg

Evening vibes continue into the red room. View from the chair. Fan for summer aesthetic...
FA8FC5C6-A023-417F-9197-CCF6DAFB0EAA_1_105_c.jpeg

I know it is just a small addition to the tank but the fan for cooling is some cool science :cool:. Just take a small fan and gently let it blow over the water. The evaporation cools it down, and the heater will keep the temp where you want it. The downfall is having to top off way more water. For the RSM S500 this is not a problem with a large RODI reservoir. The Biocube is manually topped off so this was a nightly need. Oh well, still cheaper than an expensive chiller.

More signs of trouble with the Pipe organ completely retracted, something still seems off.
8B3B02EC-EEB0-4C55-B757-0626E2216C75_1_105_c.jpeg

The urchin found the algae clip, ::munch, munch::
96ECB34F-25C6-46FB-94A9-94DA9C8117B1_1_105_c.jpeg

The Clownfish really loved when the GSP started to grow over the small tree of sponge on the back wall. This meant they had a place to to rest after a long day of fighting one another.
4412A247-254F-4262-A798-9B1E12F57654_1_105_c.jpeg

I found some loose Peach Palys floating around the tank and glued them down to a frag. This was my first attempt at 'fragging' my own coral. Might as well try and make a little money off the tank wherever possible. I still made 10 bucks, whoop!! :grinning-face-with-big-eyes:

They never looked like much under the whites, but they were beautiful under the blues.
C087699D-3A61-46C9-8A34-3EC8A5D70974_1_105_c.jpeg

Mother colony,
B9C520F2-700B-4D10-95F1-94CF9CE0DB18_1_105_c.jpeg

The coral did everything it could to hold on during the pandemic. I was still doing water changes once a week, making my own water, vacuuming during water changes, changing out the Chemipure Elite as needed, and keeping the glass relatively clean for viewing pleasure. I never stopped my good husbandry but i still was not testing. We will see where this goes...

Later days,

B-Kind

OP
OP
MECOMI

MECOMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are days i really love my reef.
CAA10EC8-191E-43F9-B104-CB5FDB02E9BE_1_105_c.jpeg

And adding new critters to the ecosystem puts a mighty big smile on my face. Teddy will always hold a special place in my heart being my first shrimp, but it is hard to stay away from a new pair!
A18630D6-B44A-43A9-BA87-2B5B996EBFA8_1_105_c.jpeg

A tank coming into maturity is supposed to be a beautiful thing. The coral is growing, the coralline is spreading onto every surface, and everything in the tank just seems to be in balance. At this stage i thought maybe i could do less. Maybe i need to demonstrate patience and be content with what this Biocube has achieved, remove the Chemipure Elite, and let things go more natural. I will still do water changes every two weeks at 5 gallons a session.
C7783308-91AB-4D47-940C-0048AC8F9E81_1_105_c.jpeg

But i am making all these changes and still not testing. Looking back i wonder how i could have even been content making any changes with the state of the healthier and stronger patches of green algae popping up on the rocks. The pipe organ slowly losing polyps and even the mighty Paly starting to melt in spots giving way to cyanobacteria. I just kept thinking to myself, be patient, the tank can handle itself without me intervening further....
7E8554E5-832B-49FB-9C9F-820D205D6773_1_105_c.jpeg

Did i mention i am a beginner, its important to remind myself that sometimes. Having a whopping year of success under my belt and never testing on my own, i thought i was moving in the right direction, never even thinking twice about what is to come. Just merrily adding corals and enjoying my fish.
DDE7AFB5-34DB-4FDD-8132-3843CB20DAA4_1_105_c.jpeg

You know what i will do to take care of this strangely strong green hair algae, buy an urchin. My understanding is they plow through algae like a boss. And initially i thought just maybe it will do its job, but it barely even touched it. It did enjoy wearing it as hats,
294A4F62-C29B-4717-9140-EFBFDB6D4BB2_1_105_c.jpeg

More new coral! and the struggles continue, Doc the Watchmen still hiding amongst his mushrooms.
AED01659-6DD1-42DE-BBA7-9EB9A61C9632_1_105_c.jpeg

Apparently around this time i really liked taking FTS. Have i mentioned that i really love the movement and variety of all my fishy friends? Must be almost feeding time,
48628F42-A6F5-471E-9ED9-51DC076D417B_1_105_c.jpeg

I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about green star polyps or GSP in their tanks. It truly is a fast grower. I want everybody to know that it was awesome having it grow on the back wall. Easily managed, easily scraped if it ever got out of control, and just added some absolute beautiful movement to an otherwise static looking back wall.
D9266E0A-3268-4558-92DC-54B953BD974B_1_105_c.jpeg

'Algae for breakfast, my favorite' - shrimp probably,
0A6F0984-571A-4BB7-9BF9-9999DAB70A29_1_105_c.jpeg

Enjoy your day out there, more stories to be told, and new adventures await,

B-Kind

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 47 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back