Two things......Marineland Polishing filter and Chewey!

lkc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I watched a Reef to Reef video made by ED Wiser back in 2017. He demonstrated the Magnum polishing internal canister filter and it was impressive. He charged it with diatomaceous powder. I thought that's what I want...because Dinoflagellates! He also noted that the rubber gasket was extremely important in the effectiveness of this filter. So, I ordered it last Friday. From Chewey. I got it last night and started going thru the contents. The rubber gasket Ed talked about was not there, instead it was this crappy sponge thing that didn't fit at all. Apparently, Marineland does not eat it's own dog food. Canister was run all night long with 6 tablespoons of the DE. Only about 10 percent made it into the filter. Don't buy this.
But in addition to my story, I ordered this thing from Chewey. Now Chewey probably doesn't even know what a reef is. However, I have ordered salt from them and it was on my doorstep the next day. They are MAD fast. And I know that other professional places use them because I've seen empty Chewey boxes behind coral grow-out farms here in Tampa.
Anyway, I was really angry about this and I emailed Chewey this morning and told them that I was returning the filter. 10 minutes later I see a refund into my bank account from Chewey for the amount I paid for the filter! Then an email telling me to keep it.
Unbelievable service. Just sayin.

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow great customer service/fast shipping! and checking out behind the reef store. Thanks for sharing

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the polishing filter as well.

Looks like they changed the model to include a small sponge like piece tather than a gasket.

Also got the diatomaceous earth from Amazon.

Was hoping it will help polish the water and remove some free floating ich in the process.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the filter you need to use in the canister, not the sponge. No need to use diatomaceous earth but you can. If you do you need to run filter in bucket of tank water and add the powder to charge filter, when water is clear filter is ready to use. I have used it without the powder just fine.​

Marineland Micron Filter Cartridge for All Magnum Canister Filters​

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-01 MARINELAND Micron Filter Cartridge for All Magnum Canister Filters - Che...png
    Screenshot_2021-04-01 MARINELAND Micron Filter Cartridge for All Magnum Canister Filters - Che...png
    195.7 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
lkc

lkc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THAT is the filter I am using, the sponge I was referring to is their "new" gasket. It fits in the bottom of the canister. It is useless. I ran it all night with the DE powder and water was just as cloudy in the AM. It didn't filter it at all.

OP
OP
lkc

lkc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water in the bucket is cloudy because I added 6 spoons of Diotomaceous earth. This was the whole point in getting this particular canister. The DE is going right thru the accordion filter instead of loading.
Please see my first post.

OP
OP
lkc

lkc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the polishing filter as well.

Looks like they changed the model to include a small sponge like piece tather than a gasket.

Also got the diatomaceous earth from Amazon.

Was hoping it will help polish the water and remove some free floating ich in the process.

Did it work for you?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THAT is the filter I am using, the sponge I was referring to is their "new" gasket. It fits in the bottom of the canister. It is useless. I ran it all night with the DE powder and water was just as cloudy in the AM. It didn't filter it at all.
Are you sure the gasket goes on the bottom? I don't remember seeing directions for this filter but I do know it works well. Maybe make your own gasket or seal somehow.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water in the bucket is cloudy because I added 6 spoons of Diotomaceous earth. This was the whole point in getting this particular canister. The DE is going right thru the accordion filter instead of loading.
Please see my first post.
Sorry, I just noticed this. I did not know the powder passes through the filter pleats. That is odd. I was going to try the same as you but gave my filter to a friend with a fresh water tank and works well. Is ick that small to pass through this filter without the powder?

OP
OP
lkc

lkc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the gasket goes on the bottom? I don't remember seeing directions for this filter but I do know it works well. Maybe make your own gasket or seal somehow.
Yup. I'm looking around at home depot and stuff.

OP
OP
lkc

lkc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I just noticed this. I did not know the powder passes through the filter pleats. That is odd. I was going to try the same as you but gave my filter to a friend with a fresh water tank and works well. Is ick that small to pass through this filter

Sorry, I just noticed this. I did not know the powder passes through the filter pleats. That is odd. I was going to try the same as you but gave my filter to a friend with a fresh water tank and works well. Is ick that small to pass through this filter without the powder?
Google ED Wiser video. He knows how to do this:
It's actually a Reef to Reef video. I am using it for Dinoflagellates.
However, I don't think ich can make it thru either. You will plainly see that the rubber gasket at the bottom of the filter is THE most important thing. And that is the problem with the new filters, they have a crappy sponge one.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ikc....not to be a downer, but a a story I would like to share with my experience with Chewy. We have been using them for a long time for our dogs. We recently lost our male who lost his battle with cancer. He had a special diet and after he passed we had a couple of large bags of food. I notifed Chewy and they sent us a full refund and told me to donate them to a local shelter which I did. I thought that was it, but a week later a bouquet of flowers came with a condolence card...which brought the whole family to tears again. They are the best!
2F60159D-0965-4DDD-AB32-44C689CB8B87.jpeg
Rip. Tyson. Feb 7, 2013 - Dec 27,2020

OP
OP
lkc

lkc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not a downer. I said Chewey is the best and you story proves it. Beautiful dog, he was.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ikc....not to be a downer, but a a story I would like to share with my experience with Chewy. We have been using them for a long time for our dogs. We recently lost our male who lost his battle with cancer. He had a special diet and after he passed we had a couple of large bags of food. I notifed Chewy and they sent us a full refund and told me to donate them to a local shelter which I did. I thought that was it, but a week later a bouquet of flowers came with a condolence card...which brought the whole family to tears again. They are the best!

Wow thats great service thanks for sharing. Sorry for loss of that beautiful dog.

I have never used Chewy, but will start checking there now.

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chewy sends my dog actual handwritten birthday cards and I don’t even know how they know when it’s his birthday.

also I use that filter all the time in freshwater stuff either as a primary bio filter or to polish the water. Never charged it with DE. Love the things though I bought 2.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome story! I wish we had them here in Canada because I keep hearing how good they are. Most everyone else has forgotten what customer service means. So sorry for the loss of your furbaby!! I just lost my dog a month ago. This made me cry.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 61 48.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 46 36.5%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 17.5%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back