Two Unhappy Corals

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
For the most part, every SPS in my tank is happy in their location and growing and improving in color. However, I have two pieces that I just can't seem to make happy. The first is what I was told was a pink dragon acro. It does not seem to like my LED's at all whether it is halfway through the tank or on the sand under the center brace. The second is an unknown acre that I believe is supposed to be either blue or purple but it is currently mostly brown. It is the highest coral in my tank almost directly under the LED and in great flow. Polyp extension is great and it is encrusting on its rock. Both pieces I have had for around 6 months I believe, probably longer for the second one. The only thing that I can think of is that these particular corals aren't happy in their current locations. If anyone could help me identify these corals and perhaps help me find a better location for them in the tank that would be greatly appreciated. Any particular information that you need to help come up with a solution just ask! :D

thumb_DSC_0061_1024.jpg

thumb_DSC_0112_1024.jpg

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first one looks like a dragon type. Since they are considered deep water corals, they may enjoy lower light and flow. The second one looks like a Formosa/Stag? It should like bright light and heavy indirect flow. Are these wild colonies? Sometimes wild colonies, or maricultured, take some time to color up. Give it some more time and you may have you some nice jewels:)

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first one looks like a dragon type. Since they are considered deep water corals, they may enjoy lower light and flow. The second one looks like a Formosa/Stag? It should like bright light and heavy indirect flow. Are these wild colonies? Sometimes wild colonies, or maricultured, take some time to color up. Give it some more time and you may have you some nice jewels:)
Would the dragon do better if it were shaded by something? Or should I just keep it on the sand for now. Thats where its been for a few months and no such improvement. The second one is up as high as I can muster in the tank and it is getting plenty of flow. Not sure on the origins of either. And I am no stranger to how much time it takes for good things to come in this hobby LOL, especially with SPS. :p

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem with one of my coral, it was doing well until I decided to place it right under my MH about 12" from the bulbs, thinking it should color up more. In a few days I didn't even noticed the coral had turned brown, sunburned I guess, so I lowered in the bottom of my tank, it's been almost 2 months now and hasn't colored up yet. I wonder how long will this coral colored up again or will it ever color up again?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 76 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back