Tyler Vanloo - Fish Room Build

Tyler97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to turn this room into a full blown fish room where my frag tank, RODI system, and fragging/shipping station will be!
I will be ripping up all the carpet and laying down marble looking tile.
The plan is to have 3-4 redsea tanks for housing different types of anemones and higher end mushrooms.

This will be a very long process but will be worth it at the end!

Screenshot_20201008-101201_2.png Screenshot_20201008-101206_2.png

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food for thought from someone with a lot of tanks in one room. Depending on your goals, getting custom tanks made will probably be a much better route for longevity, fit, use and cost than a bunch of Redsea tanks.

As well, if this is going to be a tank heavy room, are you going to enclose with a door? If so, think about an external exhaust / air circulation system. It will be worth the couple hundred to do something properly and have that room well ventilated.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along!

OP
OP
Tyler97

Tyler97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food for thought from someone with a lot of tanks in one room. Depending on your goals, getting custom tanks made will probably be a much better route for longevity, fit, use and cost than a bunch of Redsea tanks.

As well, if this is going to be a tank heavy room, are you going to enclose with a door? If so, think about an external exhaust / air circulation system. It will be worth the couple hundred to do something properly and have that room well ventilated.
My plan was to have the redsea 170's, gives me room for mushrooms and separate tanks for high end anemones (currently have CSB, CC super nova, mak inferno, CHSB and cc infernos) those Anemones need there own tanks as they kill each other. I plan on leaving the room open so no door.

I defiantly will look into more ventilation! it does have a return duct in the room for the main house system.

Thanks for the info! anything and everything helps.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’d get a custom tank built, 72x18x18 and put dividers in. Then you have one system, with 4 sections for anemones. You’d also be less then the cost of one Red Sea170

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can not be in the same water column unfortunately
Do you mean if they are exposed to the same system water, even if physically separated in separate tanks, they will still cause casualties? Ie. a shared sump won't work?

I defiantly will look into more ventilation! it does have a return duct in the room for the main house system.
I would not count on your return air for ventilating that much humidity. It also pulls double duty as more fresh air intake for the room to keep CO2 levels lower than the rest of the house, especially the basement where your furnace / blower would be pulling from.

was also debating going with lowboy frag tanks
You get what you pay for, and I've personally seen around 15-20% of the tanks have leak issues along the top portion of panel seams. A LFS installed 10 and had two of them leak after a few weeks. Two others out of five that leaked in a garage frag tank operation. I am a fan of the dimensions, not a fan of the build quality, at least the build quality at large last year. Perhaps it has improved.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the first I heard that, my lfs has tons of different anemones in same tanks, there in baskets to separate them. I also believe @FarmerTy has different anemones in the same tank
I did but wouldn’t recommend it with CSBs. It can be done but usually you end up paying in the end. I mixed with 5 different types of anemones and it worked for a bit and then after a couple years it didn’t work anymore. Separate tanks is ideal with no shared water... especially for propagation purposes.

I think you’ll definitely want to vent the room or run dehumidifier with external port for the hot air produced and drain line outside for the condensation.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did but wouldn’t recommend it with CSBs. It can be done but usually you end up paying in the end. I mixed with 5 different types of anemones and it worked for a bit and then after a couple years it didn’t work anymore. Separate tanks is ideal with no shared water... especially for propagation purposes.

I think you’ll definitely want to vent the room or run dehumidifier with external port for the hot air produced and drain line outside for the condensation.
Thanks for the clarification :) I should probably catch up on your build thread.

Back