Tyler's 85 Gal. upgrade/downgrade

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've gone from heartbreak to despising my Marineland 150 thats about 48x30. Maintenance in the tank has become annoying to the point where i'm starting to neglect. So I've decided to upgrade/downgrade to a rimless 85. I've flirted with the Red Sea Reefers but seeing as I already have a sump i'd rather not pay extra for the stand and sump. Planet Aquariums gave me a decent quote on their 85 Crystaline tank only and i'm still researching a few others but i'll more than likely purchase their tank on Monday. So it's time to start planning the stand and layout for the new tank, I've debated between 80/20 and building a wood stand. Whats the most cost effective of the two? Can I panel 80/20?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ease of maintenance is very important. Congrats on the new build and bump for those DIY stand members.

:)

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ease of maintenance is very important. Congrats on the new build and bump for those DIY stand members.

:)
Thanks! I'm supposed to place my order for a Crystalline 48' 85 Gallon tank with my LFS tomorrow but I'm going to check out some Red Sea reefers today to give me piece of mind. Any preference on complete package deals vs going custom?

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime in here with my opinion.....
Couple factors to consider. If you are a DIY kinda person, then a 'custom' built stand can be a great idea, as you can design to your specs and aesthetics. I like to build, and am building my own stand as we speak, however, I'll admit I find myself tiring, and wanting to just have it done.
A complete package like a Red Sea or Waterbox, will permit for a faster setup, as everything is included, however, you may be compromising on that perfect tank size or aesthetics with the stand design/color.
I think you have to decide what YOU really want, where you want it, and how you would ultimately like it to fit in, or look.
Personally, if I go a 'Display Tank' route in the future, I'll seriously consider one of the all-in-one packages from Red Sea or Waterbox.
Not that I'm not enjoying, or feel that my project here is turning out badly, just that I could have had the tank cycled in the time it is taking me to complete my build. Again, this is just me, and everyone has different levels of 'completeness' (perfection) and work pace on the DIY side.
I will admit, though, that I feel that some of the nicest systems I have seen are all DIY, or 'custom' setups, as you can't argue with the potential and creative options....

I'm sure this didn't help any, however, I'm sitting in my garage LITERALLY watching paint dry in my 'custom' stand.....it'll be done....one day! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've gone ahead and decided on the Red Sea Reefer 350 so it looks like it won't be much of a build thread after all! Its more than I was wanting to spend but to be honest I'm tired of plumbing and worrying about it. No LFS had a physical one is their warehouse so I'm going to haggle for incentives or just order through BRS for the points tomorrow.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up getting a great discount for a 350 by haggling with my LFS and they had one physically so hopped in my Hyundai Sante Fe and lugged that thing 50 miles back home. My next purchase is a skimmer properly rated for the Red Sea Reefer 350, i've been looking at Nyos and Reef Octopus. Does any one have any recommendations for a skimmer?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back