Ugh.....

luca_0316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I got my order of Zoas from saltcritters.com and all the Zoas look perfect accept for the well know “brown stuff” that was floating on top of the baggies the drags came in. Which I read is relatively common. I decided on purchasing a mystery coral and unfortunately my mystery coral was an Acan which is sad because i was planning on having a softie tank. Having only this one SPS will I have to dose for calcium, alkalinity, etc or will weekly water changes be enough. Thank you guys and gals!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R.

Acans, an LPS should require little intervention than your regular maintenance which should include routine water changes. As the coral grows or you add more stony corals (sps and lps) then you may have to supplement or adjust chemistry but for now your fine.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd avoid mystery frags or frag packs if you are particular about what types of corals you want. While I appreciate free frags as well, I find half the time I dont even know what to do with it because I never would have bought it in the first place.

OP
OP
luca_0316

luca_0316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R.

Acans, an LPS should require little intervention than your regular maintenance which should include routine water changes. As the coral grows or you add more stony corals (sps and lps) then you may have to supplement or adjust chemistry but for now your fine.
That’s
So today I got my order of Zoas from **************** and all the Zoas look perfect accept for the well know “brown stuff” that was floating on top of the baggies the drags came in. Which I read is relatively common. I decided on purchasing a mystery coral and unfortunately my mystery coral was an Acan which is sad because i was planning on having a softie tank. Having only this one SPS will I have to dose for calcium, alkalinity, etc or will weekly water changes be enough. Thank you guys and gals!
Thank You !

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find half the time I dont even know what to do with it because I never would have bought it in the first place.

Ain't that the truth ,, I have a couple of vendors I deal with that when I place a order ,, I put down in the notes ,, don't send me a free frag :) its not that I don't appreciate the frag but :) I can place a order for 10 acans from them ,, you would think the free frag would be a acan ,, maybe one of their less costing acan ,, but a acan none the less ,, what they send me is some off the wall coral most people would never have bought ,, guess that's why I get it as a free frag ,, I either give it away or it gets thrown away ,, I spend a pretty good bit on corals ,, most times from the same vendors ,, when they do send a freebie ,, its usely a nice one :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back