Ugly stage Ending?

BRS

GHOSTLY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So Im noticing lots of the maroon, purple, and green coralline algaes. I was wondering if this means my ugly stage is coming to a end? Also during the ugly phase no one told be but i was wondering what that green algae stain is. People just say ugly stage algae but what is it?

AS

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The uglies are pretty much what it's called the uglies , so all the super nasty stuff your dinos , cyano and gha are going to be sprouting out and the Coraline is barely getting a foot hold in your tank.

My tank is roughly 5 mo and still barely getting through I'm thinking my lights aren't helping much with powering algal growth .

OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The uglies are pretty much what it's called the uglies , so all the super nasty stuff your dinos , cyano and gha are going to be sprouting out and the Coraline is barely getting a foot hold in your tank.

My tank is roughly 5 mo and still barely getting through I'm thinking my lights aren't helping much with powering algal growth .
Thats the thing. I heard Dino go away at night but this brown algae does not. Im getting quite a bit of green, maroon, and purple coralline but have never had gha, cyano, or dinos. The only stuff Ive had is the green stain and some brownish algae

Avast

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
more or less it your tank is always in a sate of flux if it tilts too much one way it will become an algae garden tilt the other way it'll be algae free but starving to death , main thing is to maintain bio diversity and competition to simpler organisms so they wont over run the tank.
a good way to do that is to add macro algae.

Murph..

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It can take months, and just when you think it's over, GHA,, then cyano then.... But it will come good. When Coralline starts to take hold it's taking up real estate Leaving less for the nasties

BRS

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 165 41.4%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 35 8.8%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 174 43.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.5%
Cultivated Reef