Ugly stage Ending?

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im noticing lots of the maroon, purple, and green coralline algaes. I was wondering if this means my ugly stage is coming to a end? Also during the ugly phase no one told be but i was wondering what that green algae stain is. People just say ugly stage algae but what is it?

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uglies are pretty much what it's called the uglies , so all the super nasty stuff your dinos , cyano and gha are going to be sprouting out and the Coraline is barely getting a foot hold in your tank.

My tank is roughly 5 mo and still barely getting through I'm thinking my lights aren't helping much with powering algal growth .

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The uglies are pretty much what it's called the uglies , so all the super nasty stuff your dinos , cyano and gha are going to be sprouting out and the Coraline is barely getting a foot hold in your tank.

My tank is roughly 5 mo and still barely getting through I'm thinking my lights aren't helping much with powering algal growth .
Thats the thing. I heard Dino go away at night but this brown algae does not. Im getting quite a bit of green, maroon, and purple coralline but have never had gha, cyano, or dinos. The only stuff Ive had is the green stain and some brownish algae

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown dusty algae is gonna be diatom , cyano isn't always blue green but it always mats

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralline is a good sign but doesn't mean uglies are done. Mother nature says what thrives and your uglies don't have much competition yet. (assuming you water params are good)

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more or less it your tank is always in a sate of flux if it tilts too much one way it will become an algae garden tilt the other way it'll be algae free but starving to death , main thing is to maintain bio diversity and competition to simpler organisms so they wont over run the tank.
a good way to do that is to add macro algae.

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take months, and just when you think it's over, GHA,, then cyano then.... But it will come good. When Coralline starts to take hold it's taking up real estate Leaving less for the nasties

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fuge. Coralline algaes starting to grow everywhere. I never had GHA or cyano
The fuge is helping keep pest algaes in check. It's taking up nutrients they need to thrive. And if you've ever been snokeling or diving, brown algaes cover everything that corals and heavy coralline crusts dont. I spent 2-3 years in the Carribean in school. We snorkeled almost weekly, so brown fuzzy rocks look pretty normal to me!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fuge is helping keep pest algaes in check. It's taking up nutrients they need to thrive. And if you've ever been snokeling or diving, brown algaes cover everything that corals and heavy coralline crusts dont. I spent 2-3 years in the Carribean in school. We snorkeled almost weekly, so brown fuzzy rocks look pretty normal to me!
Perhaps the lion fish ate all the herbivores.

Back