Uh oh it's Nuisance Algae Man! How often does he terrorize you?

How often do you have some type of algae issue?

• Constantly Something

Votes: 291 43.4%
  • Every Month

Votes: 38 5.7%
  • Every Few Months

Votes: 88 13.1%
  • A Few Times A Year

Votes: 93 13.9%
  • Once A Year Or So

Votes: 65 9.7%
  • Every Few years

Votes: 30 4.5%
  • Never.....(are you lying?)

Votes: 42 6.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 24 3.6%

• Total voters

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, based on my experiences over three decades (and counting) and the research that's been done showing the antagonistc roles between algae and corals. I'm going to say it's an ongoing issue in every reef system. The variable is just the degree it's a problem at the moment. It might be one that's being dealt with the algae eaters I have in my systems or it might be I need to be more proactive in removal.

(I know my comments might be controversial for some so here's some links. I would also suggets reading Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas")

Indirect effects of algae on coral: algae‐mediated, microbe‐induced coral mortality
Coral seperated from algae with a .02 µm filter die. Treatment with aampicillan prevents death.

Influence of coral and algal exudates on microbially mediated reef metabolism.
Coral DOC improves oxygen (autotrophy), algae DOC reduces oxygen (heterotrophy).

Effects of Coral Reef Benthic Primary Producers on Dissolved Organic Carbon and Microbial Activity
Algae releases significantly more DOC into the water than coral.

Pathologies and mortality rates caused by organic carbon and nutrient stressors in three Caribbean coral species.
Starch and sugars (doc) caused coral death but not high nitrates, phosphates or ammonium.

Visualization of oxygen distribution patterns caused by coral and algae

Biological oxygen demand optode analysis of coral reef-associated microbial communities exposed to algal exudates
Exposure to exudates derived from turf algae stimulated higher oxygen drawdown by the coral-associated bacteria.

Microbial ecology: Algae feed a shift on coral reefs

Coral and macroalgal exudates vary in neutral sugar composition and differentially enrich reef bacterioplankton lineages.

Sugar enrichment provides evidence for a role of nitrogen fixation in coral bleaching

Elevated ammonium delays the impairment of the coral-dinoflagellate symbiosis during labile carbon pollution
(here's an argument for maintaining heavy fish loads if you're carbon dosing)

Excess labile carbon promotes the expression of virulence factors in coral reef bacterioplankton

Unseen players shape benthic competition on coral reefs.

Allelochemicals Produced by Brown Macroalgae of the Lobophora Genus Are Active against Coral Larvae and Associated Bacteria, Supporting Pathogenic Shifts to Vibrio Dominance.

Macroalgae decrease growth and alter microbial community structure of the reef-building coral, Porites astreoides.

Macroalgal extracts induce bacterial assemblage shifts and sublethal tissue stress in Caribbean corals.

Biophysical and physiological processes causing oxygen loss from coral reefs.

Global microbialization of coral reefs
DDAM Proven

SmugglersReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line for me: when my tank is dirty the corals are very colorful. When it’s too clean, they are not as colorful. Just watch out for bubble algae.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted never, but have to admit that means I am kind of lying, because coralline algae on the glass and pumps are a constant source of maintenance. Never had any other algae that became a nuisance. Algae are easy to control when nitrate is kept balanced to phosphate to ensure sufficient bacterial competition together with enough grazers like urchins and snails.

BlackGoldReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about the arch enemy and evil nemesis of all reef aquarium hobbyists, Nuisance Algae Man!

We all get algae from time to time but for some of you (me) it may seem like "Algae Man" is terrorizing you all the time! But is this normal? Is this something to be expected in this hobby? Let's poll the audience and see how often they have to fight algae issues in their saltwater reef aquarium!

1. How often do you have some type of algae issue?

2. What types of algae seem to be the most problem for you?

3. How long do you think it's possible to go without an algae problem?

PS. Maybe I should make this into a shirt! HA!
algae man monster 2.jpg
I have so much GHA and Aptasia that I am ready to take out all the rock, cook it and start over unless someone can help me find a solution to get rid of it all.

16010550710087120997996260550699.jpg
Get you a sea hair he will devour that in a matter of a week or so. Just make sure you have a new home for him after he is done. You don’t want to starve the guy.

BobFageUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 4 months old and luckily I haven't had to deal with major algae problems (yet). Did have diatoms that passed very quickly and have very little nuisance algae on rocks, do have a little but nothing concerning that needs me to interfere with it.
I have had my tank 11 months and had various issues of Algae. I use Red Sea NoPox and these days I am down to 1 mm a day. I also dose 6 mm a week of Vibrant which cleared up the invasion of greenish/blue balls took 12 weeks about doing double dose each week i.e 12 mm spread over two days split in the week. I get little Algae these days. some small hair that sticks to one rock where there is brown mushrooms and GSP sharing the rock. The Tang sometimes has a nibble, but I tend to pull what is to much off the rock, but at this time it is stable as far as algae is concerned.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back