Ulva problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoJosReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JoJosReef

There's some lovely filth down here!
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2021
Messages
20,722
Reaction score
80,831
Location
Orange County, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John from ReefCleaners says I have ulva. It has been sticking to my nice rocks and absolutely smothering my Galaxaura. Also seems to like the skeleton of one of my hitchhiker corals:
IMG_20220614_120846168.jpg

This is after trimming off a huge chunk of ulva covered galaxaura.
IMG_20220614_120856141.jpg


In my 10g tank I have the following CUC:
2x emerald crabs
Variety of ceriths
~4 Astraeas
Variety of nerites
20+ dwarf ceriths
Tailspot blenny (participation ribbon)

Other macro/inhabitants:
Brotycladia
Pom pom gracilaria
Codium
Crocea clam
RFAs
Sexy shrimp
Porcelain crab
Anemone crab
Pom pom crab
Hammer
Octospawn
Torch
Potato chip
Favia
Zias/palys/cloves
Hitchhiker corals

All of the above under an AI prime 16HD running modified Saxby with AB+ spectrum peaking around 80%.

NO3: 1ppm (down from 2ppm Friday, which was down from ~3.5ppm the week before)
PO4: 0.5ppm
ALK: 8.5 maintained by AFR
Ca: 490
Mg: ~1560ish

Emeralds don't seem to care for the ulva. How would you tackle this? Very difficult to pick it all off manually.
 
In my experience: only way I knocked it down was with a tang- but that’s not an option in a 10g. I would research on nano algae eaters - I’m not sure there are any as good as a tang, but could help. Maybe even a small urchin?
 
In my experience: only way I knocked it down was with a tang- but that’s not an option in a 10g. I would research on nano algae eaters - I’m not sure there are any as good as a tang, but could help. Maybe even a small urchin?

I'd love a tang, but I understand I could run into problems with the tang police. I think an urchin would likely do the trick, but would take out my good macro and my coraline.

Would a lettuce nudibranch go for ulva over my codium? And would it leave my red macro alone?
 
Unfortunately Anything that would eat the ulva would eat other macros too I believe.

4F18ED08-76E1-46BB-8541-EC2D864A50FF.jpeg

Lol. Ten gal is pretty small, maybe it’s time for an upgrade!
 
Last edited:

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new