Understanding Invert Deaths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AQD-Seneye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Shrimps are dead! No Idea why?

How many of you have lost shrimps and other inverts and have absolute no clue why? Clarence the cleaner was alive last night but now he is no more! So what could be the cause?

Shrimps biggest health kick and other small inverts in even the lowest levels is ammonia NH3. the slightest change in pH can unlock ammonium (NH4) and turn it into toxic NH3 in a flash. In our hobby the huge misconception is when our systems are mature we can stop looking at ammonia and this is the very first and easiest mistake we all can make.

When I bring this topic up I often get the reply "well when I check it the level is zero, so no issue". That's awesome, but whats the level when you did not check it? So how about if you could monitor it constantly?

NH3 spikes happen fast and they can go away fast but the damage done is permanent. On a shrimp level it will mean certain death. On your bio load level is means a Nitrate spike you are scratching your head over.

Most test kits will combine ammonium and ammonia together to give you the Total ammonia reading. this also is pretty useless in my view as you are getting false readings on levels that are not there. By monitoring the two separately you can see the true toxic levels of your system. By monitoring the NH4 levels you can see when things are building and do water changes etc also before the risk of NH4 potentially turning toxic to NH3.

Seneye range of monitors from the cheapest home up to the Reef is the only highly accurate monitor on the market that can alert you from these spikes. by monitoring your tank providing updates every 30 minutes to your free of charge account you can keep your tank very safe from something we all think is never going to be an issue.

Starting at around $150 is not a huge investment considering how much our live stock costs us.

Check out Seneye Today and look at protecting your tank from hidden dangers. and remember if you are not checking it constantly you have no idea of any flash rise in your system that can last only a few hours to a few days.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/seneye-home-aquarium-monitor.html

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/seneye-reef-monitoring-system-par-meter.html

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back