UNDERWATER GLUING - best method to get it right the first time, every time

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have your coral growing nicely on a frag plug on a frag rack.... now you want to permanently glue the frag disk/plug to your LR. But this requires UNDERWATER gluing bc the LR is aquascaped....so its impossible to remove the LR.

You keep failing bc:
* frag disk wont adhere to the LR bc the LR surface is uneven, slightly vertical and underwater.....you cant get a good adhesion to the LR
* frag disk pops off the glued spot bc water gets in btwn the glue and the bottom of the frag disk. You're left with glue on the LR and just an indentation where the frag plug was before the adhesion gave way

QUESTIONs on how you GET IT RIGHT the first time, everytime:

1) What's your best method of underwater gluing? Please explain in detail

2) What type(s) of glue are you using? Please describe in detail the brand name and type of glue you are using

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this maybe not help you but maybe give others a tip. I have a friend that plan everything in advance. When he set up the aquaria - he drills holes in the LR where he thinks he will ad frags in the future - often more holes than needed. He use frag discs with a pin below. He uses normal 2 component kneaded epoxy - apply a bit on the pin and press it down in the hole

Sincerely Lasse

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this maybe not help you but maybe give others a tip. I have a friend that plan everything in advance. When he set up the aquaria - he drills holes in the LR where he thinks he will ad frags in the future - often more holes than needed. He use frag discs with a pin below. He uses normal 2 component kneaded epoxy - apply a bit on the pin and press it down in the hole

Sincerely Lasse
I’ve seen that method or a similar one used before. I’m sure it works well!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been through these issues many times. What has worked for me most -

Scrub preferred spot with toothbrush to remove and algae/sand/detritus buildup.

I cut the frag off the plug if possible. If it’s not possible because it’s encrusted or Zoas, I will atleast cut the stem off.

I then dry off the bottom and apply a fairly large amount of my preferred glue which is BSI (Insta Cure Gel) it has worked the best out of many I’ve tried.

Then using large hemostats I place the coral in the scrubbed location and wiggle it a bit to break the quickly curing surface of the glue so it grabs the rock. Hold for a few seconds +\- depending on the weight of the frag and location. All done with powerheads off by the way.

This method usually works for me. Some tall or heavy frags required a bit different technique of finding a crevice or indention in rocks to support them better.

Hopefully this looong answer helps someone :) I tried to be detailed!
A62E0B7D-ABBD-4CFB-97AF-E3DCB0F0D74B.jpeg

Last edited:

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superglue gel/epoxy sandwich:
  • Break off the stem of the frag plug
  • Knead epoxy into a ball
  • Outside the tank, apply a dollop of superglue gel to bottom of plug and press on the epoxy ball to the plug.
  • Apply a generous amount of superglue to the bottom of the epoxy where it will contact the rock.
  • With pumps off, in one smooth motion submerge the frag and press plug into the live rock where desired.
Usually unnecessary to even hold the plug in place while the glue sets unless the coral is a very large frag. The epoxy fills the uneven contours of the rock to get better adhesion, plus the epoxy forms a ramp for the coral to encrust off the plug.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd the epoxy bookended by superglue. The superglue gives you the immediate adhesion, the mortar gives you the long term stability.

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Outside the tank, apply a dollop of superglue gel to bottom of plug and press on the epoxy ball to the plug.
  • Apply a generous amount of superglue to the bottom of the epoxy where it will contact the rock.
  • With pumps off, in one smooth motion submerge the frag and press plug into the live rock where desired.
Usually unnecessary to even hold the plug in place while the glue sets unless the coral is a very large frag. The epoxy fills the uneven contours of the rock to get better adhesion, plus the epoxy forms a ramp for the coral to encrust off the plug.
Plus 1

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly the same with the only exception is I flatten the epoxy ball before gluing it to the under side of the frag.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super simple tip I got years ago that make it a breeze. Think it was from GARF. Put some super glue on your finger and rub it on the spot you want to put the coral. This gets the glue on the rock so much better than putting glue on the frag and then the rock. Once you see the spot for the coral has a decent amount of glue coverage in the nooks then put a dab of glue on the frag like normal and bond the glue on the frag to the glue on the rock.

It's super easy, takes almost no extra time and it really works great.

I have used the epoxy sandwich before but imo if you do the above you don't need it and I feel the super glue gets a better hold on the rock with your finger even over the epoxy ball, but thats just my exp.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super simple tip I got years ago that make it a breeze. Think it was from GARF. Put some super glue on your finger and rub it on the spot you want to put the coral. This gets the glue on the rock so much better than putting glue on the frag and then the rock. Once you see the spot for the coral has a decent amount of glue coverage in the nooks then put a dab of glue on the frag like normal and bond the glue on the frag to the glue on the rock.
This. I struggled with gluing until I learned this trick.

And in contrast to the epoxy sandwich, this doesnt leave a giant blob of visible glue. Glue shouldnt be visible.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use this method also and for frags or frags on a frag plug, it works well.

I have had to move some large colonies. And the super glue, epoxy sandwich just is not enough. What I have done is to fasten 2 or three ceramic discs (just frag plugs without the posts) to the bottom of the colony with the super glue / epoxy sandwich and let sit until hard. Then I apply new sandwiches to the newly fastened ceramic discs and mash the colony down in the new location. Having several binding points on a large base has done the job. It isn’t elegant but it works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back