Unhatched brine shrimp eggs

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm wondering if I can re use the unhatched brine shrimp eggs I have. Like the ones that don't hatch can I add those to the next round of shrimp I'm hatching? Will they possibly hatch or am I wasting my time? Seems like there is a bit that don't hatch and if I can re use them or try to re hatch them I don't want to just throw away. Thanks

Iwannaflyguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm wondering if I can re use the unhatched brine shrimp eggs I have. Like the ones that don't hatch can I add those to the next round of shrimp I'm hatching? Will they possibly hatch or am I wasting my time? Seems like there is a bit that don't hatch and if I can re use them or try to re hatch them I don't want to just throw away. Thanks
Depending on how long they have been incubating, they are probably non-viable eggs. It is typical that you have some ratio of viable to non-viable brine shrimp eggs. Incubating the non-viable eggs further will not yield any additional hatches. Many suppliers offer "premium" products with a higher viability rate, but the standard offerings typically have a large portion of non-viable eggs.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the air pump for 48 hour hours on my hatches to make sure that any viable eggs hatch. Obviously, after that, any eggs that don’t hatch I consider not viable. I do this because I found that 24 hours was not sufficient. I would always end up with an excessive amount of unhatched eggs.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll get a few extra ones hatching. I always got a better hatch rate after decapsulating them. This also allows you to feed the unhatched ones, as they have no shell. Bit of a faf, decapsulating though.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this a couple of times but found the unhatched eggs yielded no extra shrimp and to the best of my knowledge there is no use for these, meaning a food source for tank inhabitants. As was mentioned, most producers list what the success rate is for hatching because there is always a percentage that aren't viable.

Back