Uniseal help needed for water container!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon R2R community

I need DIY help!!!

I am having trouble with my newly built mixing station. Specifically, I am having trouble with the BRS uniseal plumbing on my RODI storage not leaking. I am using a white 20g Rubbermaid Brute trashcan for RODI water. The design is simple, with a float valve at the top, and a plumbed line out at the bottom, which currently uses a uniseal. This plumbed line out connects gate valve and then to a flexible hose. The RODI container sits on a platform above the SW container, and thus opening the gate valve allows gravity to do the work without a pump. I have a small bedside tank in my room, and thus being able to use the hose to fill up an ATO is still useful (but I can do hard plumbing if that's what the fix requires). I'm avoiding plumbing these with an external pump together for several reasons.

My issue is that the uniseal keeps leaking. There is a chance that the hole for the uniseal is the issue, and I need to clean up the edges. However, IMHO, it will not matter: the weight of the plumbing attachments coming off of the uniseal pull the valve down slightly and away from the trashcan, breaking the seal. Please see the attached photos, especially the space created between the container and the univalve. I previously had a bulkhead for this, but switched to uniseal after some leaks and hearing that uniseals were better for curved surfaces.

What can I do to fix the problem? Nix the hose, do a hard plumb and affix the pipe to the stand for support, thereby eliminating the downward pressure on the univalve? Build a support stand for the current setup to keep it from pulling down?

IMG_20190801_081908.jpg IMG_20190801_083253.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good afternoon R2R community

I need DIY help!!!

I am having trouble with my newly built mixing station. Specifically, I am having trouble with the BRS uniseal plumbing on my RODI storage not leaking. I am using a white 20g Rubbermaid Brute trashcan for RODI water. The design is simple, with a float valve at the top, and a plumbed line out at the bottom, which currently uses a uniseal. This plumbed line out connects gate valve and then to a flexible hose. The RODI container sits on a platform above the SW container, and thus opening the gate valve allows gravity to do the work without a pump. I have a small bedside tank in my room, and thus being able to use the hose to fill up an ATO is still useful (but I can do hard plumbing if that's what the fix requires). I'm avoiding plumbing these with an external pump together for several reasons.

My issue is that the uniseal keeps leaking. There is a chance that the hole for the uniseal is the issue, and I need to clean up the edges. However, IMHO, it will not matter: the weight of the plumbing attachments coming off of the uniseal pull the valve down slightly and away from the trashcan, breaking the seal. Please see the attached photos, especially the space created between the container and the univalve. I previously had a bulkhead for this, but switched to uniseal after some leaks and hearing that uniseals were better for curved surfaces.

What can I do to fix the problem? Nix the hose, do a hard plumb and affix the pipe to the stand for support, thereby eliminating the downward pressure on the univalve? Build a support stand for the current setup to keep it from pulling down?

IMG_20190801_081908.jpg IMG_20190801_083253.jpg

For that application I think I would use a bulkhead instead of a uniseal. For now, if you add a support under the horizontal pipe does the leak stop?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, where is the leak coming from? Is it coming from between the pipe and the uniseal, or from between the uniseal and the container?

I have an almost identical setup that I’ve never had a problem with. First, try cleaning up the hole. If there are burrs on the inside of the hole they could easily prevent it from sealing properly. Second, support your plumbing! As a general rule, you should always support your plumbing and never have a bulkhead supporting plumbing when it’s pulling down at an angle like you have it.

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, where is the leak coming from? Is it coming from between the pipe and the uniseal, or from between the uniseal and the container?

I have an almost identical setup that I’ve never had a problem with. First, try cleaning up the hole. If there are burrs on the inside of the hole they could easily prevent it from sealing properly. Second, support your plumbing! As a general rule, you should always support your plumbing and never have a bulkhead supporting plumbing when it’s pulling down at an angle like you have it.

The leak is coming from the uniseal and the container.

Your comment makes sense. I've never made a water change station before, and all of the videos don't say anything about supporting the plumbing (I've watched pretty much every major tank figure's "water change station" video). Even BRS's video on installing a uniseal doesn't say that, but it makes engineering sense. I'm going to reconfigure tonight, incorporate everyone's comments, and see how that goes.

Thanks all for the help!

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cleaned the hole, smoothes out the edges, added support to the pipe, and still water leaking like crazy. This Rubbermaid brute trash can seems pretty flimsy and bends easily. I think that is part of the problem in that the movement/flex of the can disrupts the seal.

My boyfriend suggested we use aquarium safe silicone on it and see if that helps. I'll also probably build a more stable and immobile support system. Or I can try a new trash can, and or a bulkhead.

3d2fbd4ceb09c30117c78a7be0231a08.jpg
10822c691cb09713bff711cda02d7741.jpg

Last edited:

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cleaned the hole, smoothes out the edges, added support to the pipe, and still water leaking like crazy. This Rubbermaid brute trash can seems pretty flimsy and bends easily. I think that is part of the problem in that the movement/flex of the can disrupts the seal.

My boyfriend suggested we use aquarium safe silicone on it and see if that helps. I'll also probably build a more stable and immobile support system. Or I can try a new trash can, and or a bulkhead.

Seems as if the hole is a little too big for the uniseal, usually you have to beat the pipe through with a rubber mallet and that seals up super tight. Like may others have already said, try a bulkhead or try a new barrel. Good luck.

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems as if the hole is a little too big for the uniseal, usually you have to beat the pipe through with a rubber mallet and that seals up super tight. Like may others have already said, try a bulkhead or try a new barrel. Good luck.

I agree with your assessment, and yet the hole saw I bought was 44mm, the exact size BRS lists. I have a 1 1/4 uniseal as well, but not the pipe. I guess I'll just order a bulkhead for delivery tomorrow and hope that works! And just buy another container as well jic.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @paja - it sounds like there's a mismatch with either the hole or the Uniseal. Silicone won't adhere to the polyethylene of the brute trash can but you could try using some of that or some silicone gasket grease; that my help the seal just enough to work.

I would take a plastic salt bucket or something similar that's cheaper and disposable to see if it works on that. Like @paja3 said, the uniseal is snug going into the hole and it takes a *lot* of force to push the pipe through the uniseal if everything is fitting properly. I started using silicone gasket grease to lubricate the pipe - it makes it a lot easier!

You can try a bulkhead, but it may not work either. bulkheads depend on a flat surface for the gasket to seal all the way around. Brute cans and generally not flat and will flex a bit as well, making it difficult for a bulkhead to maintain a seal.

I use two 32gallon square containers for my mixing station and have 3 or 4 unseals on them that have worked perfectly.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for being a little late to the party. It sounds like you've already gone in and tried to remove any burrs from the plastic that may cause the leak. The other thing that I see in your photo is that seam that hits the uniseal towards the bottom. While I can't say that this is 100% the cause, it could be impacting how the uniseal is sealing up against the hole. Sleepydoc had a good suggestion with trying to install it on a spare 5 gallon bucket. If you get a snug, leak free fit there, I'd bet the container is part of the issue.

OP
OP
truetricia

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for being a little late to the party. It sounds like you've already gone in and tried to remove any burrs from the plastic that may cause the leak. The other thing that I see in your photo is that seam that hits the uniseal towards the bottom. While I can't say that this is 100% the cause, it could be impacting how the uniseal is sealing up against the hole. Sleepydoc had a good suggestion with trying to install it on a spare 5 gallon bucket. If you get a snug, leak free fit there, I'd bet the container is part of the issue.

Thanks! I'm about to leave town for a week, but when I get back, I definitely have some older 5g buckets I can sacrifice to trying this out. This particular container flexes A LOT, and I have a feeling that's part of the problem. It would be difficult to imagine how it wouldn't (things you realize after you've already put a hole in it...). A bulkhead with a extra gaskets may work better as well. I'll experiment more when I return...

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm about to leave town for a week, but when I get back, I definitely have some older 5g buckets I can sacrifice to trying this out. This particular container flexes A LOT, and I have a feeling that's part of the problem. It would be difficult to imagine how it wouldn't (things you realize after you've already put a hole in it...). A bulkhead with a extra gaskets may work better as well. I'll experiment more when I return...
A flexing container makes it harder for a bulkhead to seal, so if the deformation is causing issues for the uniseal, I can guarantee it will cause problems for a bulkhead.

I noticed the issue with the location on the container, too and worndered if that was part of the problem.

It would be unusual, but inspect the uniseal to see if there are any defects in it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back