Unknown Baby Fish

jerwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 1 1/2 months ago the pump on my 75 gal tank went out so I moved all my fish from the 75gal to my 40gal frag tank. After getting a new pump and replacing it I moved all the fish back to the 75gal. About 2 weeks later I was feeding my the frags I notice a different something that was moving weird in the tank. I have a lot of anthopods in the tank moving around, but this was more swimming not crawling. So as of last night the babies are still swimming around in the tank. Since they are all swimming around the frags it is hard to get an exact number and they are still small. I am guessing there is 20+ babbies. So the only fish that it could be because they are the only pairs I have.

5 green chromis (no visible activity in acting like breeding)
2 percula clowns ( very young and not activity in acting like breeding)
3 Bartlett Anthias (2 males and 1 female) ( Males are always fighting over the female and showing out for her) This is my bet on the parents

The babies swim very fast and really stay moving. Not sure if clown babies are very active when small but Has any one had anthias spawning?

Here a video of the babies the night I found it. The video is on its side not sure how to flip it.
Strange baby fish in frag tank - YouTube

I will try to get an updated video. I need to get a better camera other then my droid phone.

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell if they are fish from your video. But big congrats if they are baby fish. :)

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like live mysis type of shrimp to me. They swim around, don't crawl.

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell if they are fish from your video. But big congrats if they are baby fish. :)

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see I also got them in my tank 2 dif kinds they don't grow have them long time and the way they swim its got to be fish they have gold eyes and nothing in my tank has eyes like that also have some kind of shrimps that swim like fish verry cool only come out at night

setsmard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It swims like and looks like a Epitoke, which is a reproductive phase in polychaete marine worms, where the worm undergoes a transformation ( like metamorphism in insects) to an Epitoke.

OP
OP
jerwin

jerwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I had not thought they could be shrimp but that is a total possiblity. I will try to get a better video this weekend and post up. They look like baby guppies. you can clearly see the eyes and stomachs on the bigger ones. Even the longer define body. Remember that video is when I first saw them. It has been like 2 or 3 weeks since then. The Frag tank has been up for 6 months or more. They were not there before the fish spent 1 week in the frag tank and then they showed up like 2 weeks later.

I think I did here some Barry White (Lets get it on) music playing one night while the fish were on vacation in the 40 gal.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barry White does it every time...lol.

Hopefully you can get some better pictures of the babies so people can ID them better. Typically I'd say if they were baby fish and you were not prepared they would be fish or coral food, but yours seem to be still alive so they are eating something...

OP
OP
jerwin

jerwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some of the babies are bigger now. SDguy was right they are baby shrimp. I could tell that because the tails are horizontal instead of vertical. So know what kind of baby shrimp. Mysis, blood or cleaner. Blood and cleaner were in the tank. Blood shrimped died in the tank and body was never found to remove. Not sure if it is mysis shrimp how they got into the tank. I will try to get a pic of one of the bigger ones.

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely mysids. Skunk cleaner and blood shrimp larvae wouldn't survive for any period of time in a non kreisel style/filtered tank.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysids for my money. I have a slew of them in my tank. It's funny when they try to haul off a food pellet that's twice their size :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back