Upgrade question

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to move within a year, when i move i also plan to upgrade my tank. i currently have a 120gal 48x24x24. i was thining of upgrading to a 60x24x22. my question is would i be able to get away with using my current equipment on the new tank basiclly my lighting and skimmer. i have an 8 bulb ati sunpower. and a bk mini 180 witch is rated for 200 gal. my tank is pretty well stocked. i would have about 10-15 fish as for coral i have mostly sps but also have lps. what do you guys think. if i cant go with the 5ft tank i am going to stick with the 4ft and just make it 30in wide instead of the 24.but id really like to go the 5ft rout.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your light would be just fine give you a little more shaded areas on the ends for your lps not to knowledgable on that kind of skimmer so I'll let someone else comment on that

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may have to go up on the skimmer.. and you'll definitely have shaded areas.. how high will the light be above the water?

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. so since youre going 2" lees on height you could have the light about 8" off the water to get less shadowed spots, but you'll have to keep an eye on your corals.. or make the scape only 4 feet long..

edit: oh yeah thats assuming the fixture is a 48" one..

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the light, upgrade the skimmer eventually. The shaded areas are going to be perfect areas for your LPS.

OP
OP
CoralClark

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys for the help, its very much appreciated. looks like its time to start saving for a bigger BK. Look for a 1 year old BK mini 180 with extra pump and impeller up for sale soon. lol. thanks again guys

wbond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 3' to a 4' tank and kept the same lighting I had. They were T5's though, but it worked out nice for my LPS and chalices on the sandbed around the edges.

OP
OP
CoralClark

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. so since youre going 2" lees on height you could have the light about 8" off the water to get less shadowed spots, but you'll have to keep an eye on your corals.. or make the scape only 4 feet long..

edit: oh yeah thats assuming the fixture is a 48" one..

sounds great guys thanks. my fixture is a 4ft. thats pretty much the idea i had was to just make the scape 4ft long and have the edges open, keep the lps on the end, there getting to much light as it is.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back