Upgrade time! What do i need for a 55?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its actually my parents…
What's their reasoning? I'm sure between all of us we could put together a pretty convincing case for getting a 75 over a 55! For example, if weight it the concern a 75 actually spreads that weight over a wider area and will be less "tippy" than a 55

OP
OP
fishmanmilex

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's their reasoning? I'm sure between all of us we could put together a pretty convincing case for getting a 75 over a 55! For example, if weight it the concern a 75 actually spreads that weight over a wider area and will be less "tippy" than a 55
Weight and price. if i got the 40, could i keep the fish listed?

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't go bigger then I would suggest going smaller with a 40g breeder instead. A standard 55g is possibly THE worse tank you can get for a reef setup. It's way too narrow for the height and will make aquascaping extremely frustrating. I started out with a 55g and that was the biggest mistake I ever made in this hobby.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12" deep is pretty shallow. Better get a lid or the jumpers will be jumping.

OP
OP
fishmanmilex

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't go bigger then I would suggest going smaller with a 40g breeder instead. A standard 55g is possibly THE worse tank you can get for a reef setup. It's way too narrow for the height and will make aquascaping extremely frustrating. I started out with a 55g and that was the biggest mistake I ever made in this hobby.
The tank i linked has the dimensions of a 75, just 12 inches tall instead if 21. The More floor space, gallons, and weight distribution, the better.
12" deep is pretty shallow. Better get a lid or the jumpers will be jumping.
yep, i plan to get some egg-crate or mesh.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55's arent ideal but they are workable. 12" depth is also tough to deal with, not much height for aquascaping.

OP
OP
fishmanmilex

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55's arent ideal but they are workable. 12" depth is also tough to deal with, not much height for aquascaping.
I think id personally have a lot better time aquascaping this tank than a 55. just better for my particular style. But yeah, the only issue right now is the stock list (And needing info on corals and equipment).
1x diamond goby (if i can get one that eats well)
1x lawnmower blenny
1x black clown goby
1x yellow clown goby
2x banggai cardinalfish
1x midas blenny
1x McCosker’s flasher wrasse
1x blue neon goby
1x starckii damselfish
1x ruby dragonet (if i can find one who eats frozen, probably after most or all the above is added)
and then some misc. easy corals.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple blenny and goby will be hit or miss, I think in a 45G.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! I'm getting this lovely thing.

im hoping the most of the listed dish will fit, but this tank satisfies my parents needs for price and weight, and my need for good dimensions!
IMHO a 40b would be better. If you plan to never do SPS and only softies then this would work. It's very shallow

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you are planning on a sandbed as well? That eliminates a couple more inches of height and you will need a coarser sand so it's not blowing all over the place. Or take the DWG off the list.

OP
OP
fishmanmilex

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you are planning on a sandbed as well? That eliminates a couple more inches of height and you will need a coarser sand so it's not blowing all over the place. Or take the DWG off the list.
yeah, the rock-work is going to go in the tank, then the sand, then the water. what grain size would you recommend?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use Caribsea Special Grade.

OP
OP
fishmanmilex

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO a 40b would be better. If you plan to never do SPS and only softies then this would work. It's very shallow
Of the lps, i only like flower pots, tubes, hammers, shrooms and especially torches, however, ive never really liked sps. I love softies and polyps, however, So that works out.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a ruler out and look at what 10" is. Make sure you understand your height limitations once sand and rock are in. You will likely have aggression issues given how vertically compressed all the fish are going to be.

OP
OP
fishmanmilex

fishmanmilex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a ruler out and look at what 10" is. Make sure you understand your height limitations once sand and rock are in. You will likely have aggression issues given how vertically compressed all the fish are going to be.
I have looked at that already, it is small But i don't plan to have too many bigger or more aggressive fish. and if its an issue, im not too set of diamonds or starckii damsels, Also might and remove the cardinasl form the list. If i do id probably add something back, probably from these: a pink-streak wrasse, a smaller hawkfish, a jawfish, a court jester goby, a royal gramma, a small prawn goby (probably an orange stripe), a twospot goby, or a firefish

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back