Upgrading 32g Biocube

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t want to do it because i’ll probably upgrade in the near future but I can’t stand the stock LED’s on the biocube so I’m going to purchase an AI Prime 16HD Reef LED and the flex arm. That’ll come with an added cost of an ATO and a screen top (don’t want the wrasse to carpet surf). I don’t want to have to rent a PAR meter for $70 so does anyone know a good height for the light? I have an LPS dominant tank but plan on keeping some high end SPS.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, have you consider Steve’s LED, and if yes, why did you go with the AI?

Also food for thought. I was told by @jskoms on another thread. Was probably something I would have never thought about.

“I have considered going with Steve’s but last week I cut out some of the clear plastic light cover and siliconed in a piece of glass. The plastic was hazy and scratched up. I have a monti cap that is now showing growth daily.”

Was probably something I would have never thought about.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, have you consider Steve’s LED, and if yes, why did you go with the AI?

Also food for thought. I was told by @jskoms on another thread. Was probably something I would have never thought about.

“I have considered going with Steve’s but last week I cut out some of the clear plastic light cover and siliconed in a piece of glass. The plastic was hazy and scratched up. I have a monti cap that is now showing growth daily.”

Was probably something I would have never thought about.
I did consider Steve’s LED upgrade but the price put me off.. The AI is a third of the cost if I find a good deal on a used one. Which light was jskoms talking about? Sounds like a powerhouse of a light!

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did consider Steve’s LED upgrade but the price put me off.. The AI is a third of the cost if I find a good deal on a used one. Which light was jskoms talking about? Sounds like a powerhouse of a light!
He took the plastic off the stock Biocube light and replaced it with glass

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His other post.

“Really easy to do. The local hardware store cut the glass to size and was only $2.50. Big difference in the intensity of the light.”

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do for sure. I’ll be sure to let you know, hopefully I don’t mess up ;Nailbiting
It’s easy, just take your time. The splash guard on mine was hazy and scratched up. With the glass, the light is more intense.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s easy, just take your time. The splash guard on mine was hazy and scratched up. With the glass, the light is more intense.
Did you unscrew the led fixture prior to switching to glass or did you do it while it’s attached to the hood?

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you unscrew the led fixture prior to switching to glass or did you do it while it’s attached to the hood?
I took it out to minimize any damage to the LED fixture. Didn’t have lights for a couple days but the end result is worth it.

Mike H2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have before and after photos?
I do but honestly in the pics it’s not much different thru the lens (iPhone cam) but to the naked eye it’s huge. Particularly my scolys. They are nice and puffy looking instead of flat.

CDC1575E-0015-40B1-A003-96CBC1FC5CA9.jpeg 4F155A12-657D-42EC-A8D2-495354A4CB63.jpeg

Mike H2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running Steve’s for a couple years now. Work great.
I initially put my zoas close to top. Now with the new leds I’m thinking I should be moving them closer to mid /lower level. Especially since I’m just starting out at 30% intensity

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 40

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.8%
Back