Upgrading tanks

Kcason21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 40 breeder mixed reef tank that is currently almost 2 years. I purchased a 75 gallon and want to move everything from the 40 to 75. It’s gonna be in the exact spot as the 40 so trying to figure out the best way to go about doing this.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah deja vu. I did this exact same swap a few weeks ago. Following the steps below, I had 0 deaths.

Get a brute trash can from HD. and a few 5 gallon buckets. Divide the tank water and inhabitants amounts them the best you can. Pumps and heaters in your most precious buckets.

Don't try to salvage the sand. not worth it, and you're running against the clock here. I had 80lbs new Carib Sea Arag reef sand ready to go..

With everything drained but the sand, remove the old tank/sand out of the way. Pop in the new tank. Add the new live sand first, and then start using as much clean water from your buckets as you can. I used about 30G of new mixed saltwater I had ready to go. YRMV based on rock work..

As the buckets drain, place your rock work in the 75 as well.. Don't try to over manage it and make the display tank museum worth today. The goal is to get the swap done today and mitigate any deaths.

Once your equipment/fish/corals are on the 75, turn on the heaters and let everything settle down before turning on pumps.

I added a bottle of biospira just for good measure, and used Seachem Prime for a few days following.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case I cycled the new tank first and then moved all my fish/corals to their new house.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 40 breeder mixed reef tank that is currently almost 2 years. I purchased a 75 gallon and want to move everything from the 40 to 75. It’s gonna be in the exact spot as the 40 so trying to figure out the best way to go about doing this.
Congrats on 2 years. IMO you good to shut down and transfer everything, fairly easily but... the sand.... @brandon429 has your links....go with them.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case I cycled the new tank first and then moved all my fish/corals to their new house.

The problem with that is he needs to put the 75G in the 40G's spot so cycling the tank is not possible...It's the worst kind of swap to do because once you turn off the equipment you're running against the clock before things start going down hill fast.

That's why I also recommend ditching the sand and not worrying about it. Be gentle with removing rocks and such to keep most of your old water clean with good bacteria and reuse that.. The old live rock from the 40 will be enough to sustain the bioload in a 75. Biospira and Prime for good measure.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah deja vu. I did this exact same swap a few weeks ago. Following the steps below, I had 0 deaths.

Get a brute trash can from HD. and a few 5 gallon buckets. Divide the tank water and inhabitants amounts them the best you can. Pumps and heaters in your most precious buckets.

Don't try to salvage the sand. not worth it, and you're running against the clock here. I had 80lbs new Carib Sea Arag reef sand ready to go..

With everything drained but the sand, remove the old tank/sand out of the way. Pop in the new tank. Add the new live sand first, and then start using as much clean water from your buckets as you can. I used about 30G of new mixed saltwater I had ready to go. YRMV based on rock work..

As the buckets drain, place your rock work in the 75 as well.. Don't try to over manage it and make the display tank museum worth today. The goal is to get the swap done today and mitigate any deaths.

Once your equipment/fish/corals are on the 75, turn on the heaters and let everything settle down before turning on pumps.

I added a bottle of biospira just for good measure, and used Seachem Prime for a few days following.
I like your 30g ready to go at the new house in my case. Did about that in a 90 g , Rubbermaid brutes for the rest, in the back of my pickup, thankfully in July 15 years ago for the hour long drive, which was really about 8 hours all told of seriously hard knocks lol. Minimal loss thankfully....

OP
OP
Kcason21

Kcason21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
738B404D-C4E1-4729-97EF-D8D18146DA08.jpeg
Well got it moved today and didn’t lose anything. Stressful day but Glad it’s done.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back