Upgrading to the Red Sea Max E260 - Same day tank transfer

jeg2105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

2020 started with me taking a new job where I thought taking a paycut would pay off in the end, lockdown started a few weeks later. 2020 ended like it did for many of you, with a lot of downs and some ups. 2021 started with me getting laid off - rough patch was turning darker. I was over feeling bad, I said screw it, it is what it is and tried to keep my head up. Then I landed an amazing job that gave me back all the money and perks I lost plus some. I'm turning 36 in a couple of weeks and so I finally decided to treat myself. I'm switching out my six year old biocube 29g for a Red Sea Max E260! I am extremely excited and my unhappy tank-friends will thank me later too.

Reasons for the upgrade - overstocked with fish (stupidity on my end), added coral last year and my water flow and lighting is not good enough and while some things are looking great others seem to be living instead of thriving. I had upgraded to a Blaze X Mini a couple of years ago but it doesn't seem to be able to provide the corals or anemones the lighting they need. I want a bigger tank.

I did not upgrade to the cabinet sump - will eventually.

I am planning (due 1 bedroom apt limitations) on a same day tank switch - if you've been successful (or not), please send over any recommendations. I can use all lessons learned. I have about 4/5 5G buckets to use during the swap. Plan on making extra water changes over the next couple of weeks (tank is set to ship from Red Sea on 4/2) so that the water quality stays good. I'll be using new sand and mix of new and existing rock.

In addition to the tank i've purchased:

Red Sea ReefWave 25 Gyre Pump - one enough for a 60g?
Finnex HMX Titanium 200 Watt Aquarium Heater w/ Digital Controller
Clearview Lids Max E260 / Pisces EXO / EZO
Additional 30lb CaribSea Life Rock to go with the 20lbs-30lb I currently have for aquascape.
Subtrate - 60lbs of new sand and 10lbs of crushed coral (I have watchman gobies but also a snapping shrimp so wanted to give them both some new stuff)

Not sure which to use: API Quick Start - 8 oz or DrTim's Aquatics Reef One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria - 8oz

Any dosing I have always done manually - not sure where to even start since I don't have a ton of room.
Did not buy any ATO since I plan on upgrading to the sump in a few months. Should I invest in a different one now?

Any additional filter material that you would recommended? Think the tank comes with some basic stuff but should I swap anything out? Make sure i dont leave anything out? I have about 4/5 5G buckets to use during the swap. Plan on making extra water changes over the next couple of weeks (tank is set to ship from Red Sea on friday) so that the water quality stays good.

Even though I've kept a happy Clownfish and friends for the past six years (Stanley the clownfish and Lineal the Damsel are the OG's) I'm still very new at corals. This is a fresh start and I want to make sure that whatever I can do to make my watery friends lives more comfortable I want to do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeg2105

jeg2105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been contemplating biting the bullet and getting a dosing system.

Been reading and deciding on either a Kamoer or Coral Box WiFi Dosing Pump. Anyone have any strong opinions?

Still unsure if i should invest in an ato or wait until I upgrade to the in cabinet sump, in a few months.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back