UPS is terrible

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I was supposed to receive an overnight shipment of livestock from a respected vendor. The item was shipped using UPS. The guarantee was by 10:30am. At around 9am I received an email saying that they were not going to make the 10:30a deadline but that it would arrive by the end of the day. Almost immediately I received a voice call from the seller who obviously received the same notification. I wasn’t too concerned. I was able to monitor the package and saw the truck close to my house so I figured a short delay but nothing too bad. I continued to monitor the package which stated “almost there” while the truck kept driving near or around my house and then would go a little further away, then back. This happened for hours- still with the message on the screen stating “almost there”. Finally around 3p I decided to call and, after navigating their call tree, got a live person that saw the problem and told me someone would contact me... at 5pm I called back after not hearing anything. After being on hold for 45minutes I got a “manager” who admitted that the package was not on the truck- mind you, while he is relaying this- their site still stated “almost there”. By this time I was livid- all I could think about is the livestock and the unnecessary stress incurred. I offered to go pick up the package and I was told that a manager would contact me when it was located- needless to say- I never heard back and just received an email with my new “guaranteed delivery date” for 12p tomorrow. I’m still processing this terrible experience... Outside of the lack of communication....why wouldn’t they just come clean at the beginning? They must have known it was not on the truck but they continued to make me think it was almost here? Why didn’t they give me some opportunity to help get the livestock safe? The worst part is this is my only recourse... to vent here and hope I can sway as many shippers as possible to consider an alternative to UPS.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel you. Happened to many of us unfortunately. What makes me the baddest is that they don’t care what’s inside. It’s just a package to them. To us, it’s a pet, who is suffering. Sucks. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Also annoying, fighting for shipping cost refunded (if you paid for that). I’ve lost my shipping $ even when it was clearly fed ex / ups fault.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe UPS have suspended their delivery guarantees .... rather a lot going on in the world at the moment. Most of the better livestock vendors pack for two days just in case. I’ve had a few next day fails, and the animals were still ok. Just be aware of ammonia buildup (if fish).

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not livestock, but I just got a package from @Bulk Reef Supply that came through UPS and it looked like that box had gone through hell and back to get to me. Really shows how little they care about their work. If I did something like that at work I'd be out on my butt by the end of the day and yet these giant companies just get away with it all the time.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe UPS have suspended their delivery guarantees .... rather a lot going on in the world at the moment. Most of the better livestock vendors pack for two days just in case. I’ve had a few next day fails, and the animals were still ok. Just be aware of ammonia buildup (if fish).

UPS and Fedex both have and both are prioritizing more critical shipments like medical supplies, they haven't guaranteed any service level since March 24 or 26th for UPS, not sure when Fedex stopped their guarantee.

It's ship at your own risk right now.

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that my shipment isn’t critical but why tell me it’s almost here or going to be here by the end of the day when it is clearly not.

159A4D47-2ED5-4BC0-AF5F-009707620F73.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had the sane last week with Fedex. If packed well as with my order coming a day late, all were warm and Alive. Lets hope for the best !! Yes- all guarantees are suspended through April 30th

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t all the nonessential closures give them plenty of capacity?

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t all the nonessential closures give them plenty of capacity?
I think they are short staffed now too. Zombie apocalypse 2020 has everything messed up. I’m surprised you found a vendor who shipped right now. All live stock suppliers I look at on line have stopped shipping.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that my shipment isn’t critical but why tell me it’s almost here or going to be here by the end of the day when it is clearly not.

159A4D47-2ED5-4BC0-AF5F-009707620F73.jpeg

It's probably just an automated process that has no idea your package wasn't on the truck.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are short staffed now too. Zombie apocalypse 2020 has everything messed up. I’m surprised you found a vendor who shipped right now. All live stock suppliers I look at on line have stopped shipping.

I see LA and blue zoo still shipping. Many coral venders too.

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the sane last week with Fedex. If packed well as with my order coming a day late, all were warm and Alive. Lets hope for the best !! Yes- all guarantees are suspended through April 30th
That is comforting! I Thanks- I am hoping for the best-
It's probably just an automated process that has no idea your package wasn't on the truck.
That needs to get better :( “recalculating......”
I see LA and blue zoo still shipping. Many coral venders too.
Agree! definitely seems like more are shipping than aren’t. But now knowing the lack of a shipping guarantee, I’ll be thinking twice.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STOP. just stop for a second and think about how many packages UPS handles each day. I worked at a UPS facility like 20 years ago and it was hundreds of thousands of packages a day.. at one sort facility. That was 20 years ago... BEFORE THE INTERNET.

It happens, it is actually almost mathematically impossible to prevent from happening.

I hope your livestock is still ok. But having the ability to have something flown across the entire country in a single day..even is it is 16 hours late, does not suck. It is amazing!

But yeah...that whole pandemic thing.. ummm, yeah no.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel fairly certain with the state of the world and the fact that they are one of the few supply lines available to a large segment of the population that their system has gotten overloaded and probably isn’t terribly accurate right now. I hope the best for your livestock. Try not to be upset with the delivery drivers, they are literally risking their lives, and the lives of their families to help others survive this pandemic. ;).

OP
OP
DJF

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the perspective. I guess I’m more bummed that it told me it was arriving soon all day long only to not; now I just hope they are still alive. (Btw- my furloughed wife is as upset as I am) To be clear- I’m not mad at the drivers but the situation. I respect all those out there risking their lives- had I realized guarantees are no longer offered, I would not have chosen to have it shipped. Maybe I should change the subject to UPS’s tracking program is terrible & don’t rely on it.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get you man, this does suck. I especially understand the frustration with seeing "almost there" only to find out your package isn't being delivered. It's worse knowing that you have livestock that might not survive (though I really hope they pull through for you). I do understand what everyone else is saying too about the current situation, but for what it's worth, I do feel ya and it does suck. Sorry it happened to you, and I hope things work out ok in the end.

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get your vendor to ship to a fedex ship center location next time and tell them to hold it there?

What I do with my packages now is that when the package arrives at the ship center it gets held there until I pick it up.

Usually its overnight shipping and then it'll get there by 10. Once it's there I'll get a notification and I just drive over to pick it up since it's only like 5mins away from me

This way I don't have to rely on the driver to deliver it to my house

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really don’t think now is the time to be mad at UPS. I also don’t think you’d be any safer going with FedEx. Both companies are under extreme stress (I have to assume) because everybody is ordering everything right now and I hope that they’re having fewer people in the offices for the safety of those employers. I know companies are still shipping fish and whatnot but personally I just wouldn’t chance it. It’s not fair to blame humans doing their best in a pandemic.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not livestock, but I just got a package from @Bulk Reef Supply that came through UPS and it looked like that box had gone through hell and back to get to me. Really shows how little they care about their work. If I did something like that at work I'd be out on my butt by the end of the day and yet these giant companies just get away with it all the time.
I’ve noticed in the past year a lot of my packages (from all companies) arriving looking like a Joe Exotic tiger toy. Even had a neighbor flag me down who I’ve never spoken to say the delivery person literally chucked my box from sidewalk to porch and left. I reported it, they do take that kind of action serious. Also have to realize ( atleast I’ve noticed in my area) a lot of sorting facilities are staffed by young kids who may not respect being careful. It’s just the risk we take relying so heavily on shipping. Especially across country. Also if you have any issues, call Tom Hanks.

Back