Urgent: Voltage in tank

andrewj1212

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doing maintenance and put my hand in the tank and was met with a huge jolt. I’ve turned off everything in the tank and still when I touch the water it feels like I stuck a fork in an outlet. Does voltage normally last when everything is turned off? I suppose it may be the jebao’s but anyone had stray voltage this extreme? Everything is only a couple months old.

edit - my frag tank is doing the same thing with the same equipment. My electrical panel is 30 years old and needs to be replaced, plus it is almost at capacity amp wise. Maybe that’s part of it? This is new for both tanks in the past day

equipment:
Jebao return pump and wavemakers
BRS 300w heater and eheim 150w
Bubble Magnus skimmer
Radions hanging
Tunze ato

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voltage will not remain in the tank. Best way is to unplug everything from the power source one at a time until the voltage is gone then you know the cause. A cheap volt meter would be better for this purpose than sticking your hand in everytime and probably safer.
I've had hydor power heads cause this. I was showing almost 50 volts in the tank. Tank inhabitants showed no signs anything was wrong but I sure felt it.

OP
OP
andrewj1212

andrewj1212

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I’m stumped on this one.

frag tank: running at ~20v but my t5 fixture has three plugs (2 bulbs per plug and one plug runs the fans) and each plug adds 10v that put me at ~50v. They are all plugged into my apex. No idea why since it’s not in the water? The cords do touch the side of that tank if that’s anything

display tank: Came in at 70v (makes sense off what I felt) and I turned everything off except two hanging radions and was still getting that reading. Turned off the radions and back to 0. I have an extension cord from the wall with three outlets (apex EB, radion #1 & radion #2)

So both are related to the lights? Can that be right? Both the T5 and radions are hanging with the cords resting against the glass of the tank. I guess tomorrow I need to test with the cords not touching the tanks and see what happens but both definitely related to the lights somehow. Any ideas appreciated

Realized I was doing a mix of turning off outlets using the apex fusion app and unplugging outlets. Does that make any impact/difference?

OP
OP
andrewj1212

andrewj1212

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update! We have a verdict

Display: Did the manual plug and unplug instead of apex and my BRS 300w heater was putting out 60v. Now the tank sits 36-40v, I’ve heard that’s acceptable right?

frag tank: The culprit was still the T5 fixture. Basically had it plugged into an extension cord then the apex and it was drawing 45v. When I did them individually they only drew 10-15v together. I guess in hindsight not a smart move

anyway, picking up some grounding probes and back to eheim heaters. Count me out of BRS heaters since it was only two months old

OP
OP
andrewj1212

andrewj1212

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RESULT! I’ve been going crazy all day trying to figure this out… realized my extension cord from the outlets don’t have ground prongs on them. Voltage back to 15. Guess that was pretty dumb of me

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back