Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes lol I have been home resting and it has helped lots and lots now that it’s uninterrupted lol well for the most part. Been getting my tank back in order the house, and me lol. I have been watching a few movies, been reading. Been doing a lot of listening to music, (so relaxing), and just been kinda lazy but kinda active. It’s odd sometimes some people can never slow down and some never get going definitely think there is a fine balance. But definitely makes one realize how much time they can waste from both ends.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes lol I have been home resting and it has helped lots and lots now that it’s uninterrupted lol well for the most part. Been getting my tank back in order the house, and me lol. I have been watching a few movies, been reading. Been doing a lot of listening to music, (so relaxing), and just been kinda lazy but kinda active. It’s odd sometimes some people can never slow down and some never get going definitely think there is a fine balance. But definitely makes one realize how much time they can waste from both ends.

Agree!
As I tell my residents and medical students...if you want to be the best doctor you can be you first have to be the best YOU you can be. Take care of yourself so that you can take care of your patients. It’s ok to “burn” it at both ends just make sure you are enjoying the middle!!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I did some take work today and wow how fast it adds up. When I was hospitalized I had very little cyano, and now I have quite a bit. I sucked must of it up, but ultimately may have to use chemiclean. After losing the few sps frags, and almost one of my green candy apple scolys, I think it’s on the mend. I’m getting more alage as well, not sure sure how to get rid of that. Kinda figured my tangs would make short work of it lol.

So as requested here are some updates pics, it was right before it went to full blues. But it’s on the mend but everything tested (water wise fine and I was between 2-5ppm nitrate). Maybe it’s time I add a second uv sterilizer but not sure that will help to reduce hair algae.

59A34D3E-B8B1-4CBD-BEFE-B35B600DEBF4.jpeg

61A3F3BE-1AAF-4B49-8969-3E50BD1DE768.jpeg

B3B1709E-5846-4A68-885E-EB3414A09830.jpeg

C7B15BF5-7C9C-498D-A6B2-6D1BE8B39631.jpeg

7155A3FF-3826-48D2-AFF8-6C2D19301D5C.jpeg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I did some take work today and wow how fast it adds up. When I was hospitalized I had very little cyano, and now I have quite a bit. I sucked must of it up, but ultimately may have to use chemiclean. After losing the few sps frags, and almost one of my green candy apple scolys, I think it’s on the mend. I’m getting more alage as well, not sure sure how to get rid of that. Kinda figured my tangs would make short work of it lol.

So as requested here are some updates pics, it was right before it went to full blues. But it’s on the mend but everything tested (water wise fine and I was between 2-5ppm nitrate). Maybe it’s time I add a second uv sterilizer but not sure that will help to reduce hair algae.

59A34D3E-B8B1-4CBD-BEFE-B35B600DEBF4.jpeg

61A3F3BE-1AAF-4B49-8969-3E50BD1DE768.jpeg

B3B1709E-5846-4A68-885E-EB3414A09830.jpeg

C7B15BF5-7C9C-498D-A6B2-6D1BE8B39631.jpeg

7155A3FF-3826-48D2-AFF8-6C2D19301D5C.jpeg
Looks good! I was worried! By the way what’s that red monti in the first pic, middle of the picture. I love it!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I was worried! By the way what’s that red monti in the first pic, middle of the picture. I love it!

If your talking about the first picture that is mystic sunrise it’s also in the fourth pic below the birds nest and under green slimer. When it’s just right on light it gives a neat red with purple dots.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your talking about the first picture that is mystic sunrise it’s also in the fourth pic below the birds nest and under green slimer. When it’s just right on light it gives a neat red with purple dots.
Ah yes. Very nice :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

They did help yes, but they also created a few nightmares for me. I a very small amount of cyano, on the left side, now the whole left side had the thick red blanket, which I scooped or sucked up. Now it has spread to the rocks which I keep having to blow off, and the right side has it now and middle starting. No idea what they changed, they turned my flow up on everything full blast as well. Water parameters test fine, they are back where it was when I left it. I hate using chemiclean but Urgh I may have to if me sucking it out doesn’t slow it down.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

They did help yes, but they also created a few nightmares for me. I a very small amount of cyano, on the left side, now the whole left side had the thick red blanket, which I scooped or sucked up. Now it has spread to the rocks which I keep having to blow off, and the right side has it now and middle starting. No idea what they changed, they turned my flow up on everything full blast as well. Water parameters test fine, they are back where it was when I left it. I hate using chemiclean but Urgh I may have to if me sucking it out doesn’t slow it down.
Are you still using Nopox?

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a giant “Halloween” hermit that won’t stop growing so I can’t keep him (chosen pronoun) in any tank with other life forms. I was going to put him in my fuge for life of warmth and solitude but he is in an old tank that recently in the last week got some cyano and there is some on his shell. So now i am NOT going to make the transfer for fear of getting it in my WB 230 new build. I am hating this diatom and hair algae bloom in the new tank and don’t want to deal with cyano in addition!! A big “urgh”. Haha let me know what works for you in the end.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Hemmdog I still have to dose noprox but have cut it down to the minimum and every other day.

@tdlawdo I waited for it to get the big SHAG red lol and turned all the flow off. Then used a 3+ toy beach scope and shoveled it like snow lol. I used a plastic like food container and scoped it inside the tank. Then scoped more and dumped etc. I just skimmed the top because I didn’t want to stir too much. Then I blew the rocks off or anything that had it really. Then put clean filter socks back on. Since then very very small patch on the sand bed. But maybe because the goby see food and lots of it lol. I have some hair alage also because I was lazy and dumb, and well didn’t wash my gyre. So it had a ton of algae build up, and it’s no soaking in vinegar. When that one is done, I will take turns giving them all a bath.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Hemmdog I still have to dose noprox but have cut it down to the minimum and every other day.

@tdlawdo I waited for it to get the big SHAG red lol and turned all the flow off. Then used a 3+ toy beach scope and shoveled it like snow lol. I used a plastic like food container and scoped it inside the tank. Then scoped more and dumped etc. I just skimmed the top because I didn’t want to stir too much. Then I blew the rocks off or anything that had it really. Then put clean filter socks back on. Since then very very small patch on the sand bed. But maybe because the goby see food and lots of it lol. I have some hair alage also because I was lazy and dumb, and well didn’t wash my gyre. So it had a ton of algae build up, and it’s no soaking in vinegar. When that one is done, I will take turns giving them all a bath.

The work we do!! Haha.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The work we do!! Haha.

Hello,

Yeah, and this whole time I thought bristle tooth tangs and purple tangs love alage and would find and eat it. Hmmmm that doesn’t seem to working out to well for me lol.

Oh and I kept wondering why I turned the oven on. Now I know why, I was making dinner. Whoops, became busy with the tank and cleaning my gyre, oh so don’t miss the vinegar smell.

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never had cyano when you had low levels of kiddie urine in the tank. Invite the nephews over for sodas! :) I know, I am not very helpful. I'll be quiet. In fact, good night! :D

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yeah, and this whole time I thought bristle tooth tangs and purple tangs love alage and would find and eat it. Hmmmm that doesn’t seem to working out to well for me lol.

Oh and I kept wondering why I turned the oven on. Now I know why, I was making dinner. Whoops, became busy with the tank and cleaning my gyre, oh so don’t miss the vinegar smell.

I hear ya! I completely forgot to make dinner last night myself while cleaning the tank and watching hockey at the same time. Oh well bone broth protein drinks it is!! Don’t burn the place down!!

I laughed over the shoveling of the cyano!! That’s more than trochus and nassarius could do for sure!!!

I’m dealing with GHA and diatoms in this new tank. WB 230. 170 display. Today I add pencil urchins ...do your job boyz!!!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Fin lol you know I have missed you :), I hope your well and family is well, miss your funny posts :). But maybe I should leave the kiddos alone when they come visit. Then again ummm maybe not you never know what they may do.

@tdlawdo lol I would burn the place down I would just kinda accidentally redecorate my kitchen lol. It’s really an art and balancing act to make a tank where you want it. I can tell you how long it has taken me to clean my gyre. Getting the coraline off was simple, all the green hair alage build up was a pain. It still sits in my side sink in vinegar and water. Once that one is done I will do the return pumps and then wave makers in stages. So much work to do now but I love it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back