OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s hope you do not have to “redecorate”. I clean my gyres all the time so I haven’t had to do the vinegar or critic acid soaks yet. I am still waiting on my coralline bloom in the new build.

Hello,

Lol awww and yes I actually used a bristle brush a day of soaking and the high pressured sprayer to blast the nasties off. It’s much quieter now and there is No gunk coming from it. Actually I feel kinda dumb, because I didn’t have hair algae and I think most came from that gyre because I didn’t clean it. Now I have some hair algae not a lot but enough for one to say hmmm it’s gotta go because it will take over corals (sps I believe). But I have bristle tooth tangs I thought all tangs would feed on hair algae. @Brew12 whats something that loves to eat small amounts of hair algae? Missed you how have you been, sorry I have been quiet and pretty sick but better now. Hope your well and family is doing good:

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49fc5133ba7a64c6c2842f9470555705.jpg

This was my yesterday on all of my rock!! I can’t wait to get past this stage so I can start mapping out my coral placement!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I wish it was that easy now lol, atm my reef has grown so much that all the rocks have been fused together by corals. Kind hard to scrub them off etc, but I do blast them with a turkey blaster. Maybe vibrance would help, oh and me plugging in the second uv skimmer.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I wish it was that easy now lol, atm my reef has grown so much that all the rocks have been fused together by corals. Kind hard to scrub them off etc, but I do blast them with a turkey blaster. Maybe vibrance would help, oh and me plugging in the second uv skimmer.

Reef goals [emoji3059]. You can be my reef goal idol [emoji2957]. Someday I hope to have a nicely over grown reef. I have only had nanos 8-30 gal prior to this large one i have now

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef goals [emoji3059]. You can be my reef goal idol [emoji2957]. Someday I hope to have a nicely over grown reef. I have only had nanos 8-30 gal prior to this large one i have now

Lol ahhhhhhh my dear friend that’s kind but my tank is only 16 months old but it has grown insane on most of my corals. It’s some work, if I stay up on it then, it’s very easy but when I was in the hospital for the two weeks, it’s been a nightmare. Cleaning equipment is kinda just overwhelming me atm. I have twin dc returns, and 4 wave makers, two uv sterilizer, oh and skimmer, lights that need cleaning, plus glass etc. but I still love it.

Being solely honest since I have been sick I have been really withdrawn from most. I’m natural very shy but I kinda crawled into a dark cave and hid. Now that I have been better I’m coming out slowly. Still not permitted to work but had tons of things to catch up on. On a side note it’s the first time in my entire life that all of my bills which are set up on auto pay, actually worked. But now that I’m out, they will fail terribly next month.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I have bristle tooth tangs I thought all tangs would feed on hair algae. @Brew12 whats something that loves to eat small amounts of hair algae? Missed you how have you been, sorry I have been quiet and pretty sick but better now.
I'm glad you are doing better! Next time young lady, make sure you get proper medical help before you reach the crisis level!!! o_O

Hope your well and family is doing good:
They are doing well. Waiting for our son to transfer from North Carolina down to Pensacola for his next training command. He was supposed to have headed that way 2 weeks ago but his entire class has been held up for some reason.

As for algae control, I like blue legged hermit crabs. They stay small, will eat many algaes and cyanobacteria, and typically aren't a problem for snails.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you are doing better! Next time young lady, make sure you get proper medical help before you reach the crisis level!!! o_O

They are doing well. Waiting for our son to transfer from North Carolina down to Pensacola for his next training command. He was supposed to have headed that way 2 weeks ago but his entire class has been held up for some reason.

As for algae control, I like blue legged hermit crabs. They stay small, will eat many algaes and cyanobacteria, and typically aren't a problem for snails.

Hello,

Ahhh (sheepishly) that’s very very very sound good advice :). As painful as this sounds (to me) I should have recognized my own symptoms and acted on it. I was scolded as well by the family dr that, smart minds are smarter, faster and produce more, when they have proper sleep, food, sanity etc. can’t really argue her point.

That is awesome about your son, have you been able to see him talk etc? How much longer does he have left to go?

I will get some blue legged hermit crabs as well, I want my tank settled before I go back to work. Which should be sometime mid week next week, well as long as my dr let’s me lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome about your son, have you been able to see him talk etc? How much longer does he have left to go?
He was home for around 9 days in January. With any luck we get to see him on the 15th. We have been able to talk to him on the phone the last 2 weeks which has been nice.

And glad to know that you have been properly scolded! :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

@Brew12 wow that is fantastic and words probably can’t explain how proud you are of him. It’s nice to be able to finally check on him and here how he is doing. He has accomplished something not very many are able to do.

So after reading and reading and reading some
More about cynao, it would be interesting to see case studies. There is that fine balance of nutrient import and export, but with my nitrates between 2-5 and phosphates close to undectable, makes me curious. I have dropped my noprox dosage to about 1-4ml every other day and will test again to make sure nitrates don’t spike.

I had a goal today of cleaning one of my return pumps and a set of wavemakers, but today didn’t start off to well and may have to do it on Sunday. I did get the second uv sterilizer which will help with some things but not the things that I’m working on.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As some can see I have come back from my lurking in a dark cave of wonders :). It will be interesting to see how work is on Monday. I say this because, I went in with my dr note, and some people in hr, security had no idea who I was or someone new. Gosh I was onky gone two weeks lol, or three lol.

So this weekend is my last two days to get 6 pumps cleaned lol. Gulp. I guess three each day and time to soak and make things pretty again. It took 24 hours for my gyre to get cleaned and pretty again. It also went quiet, maybe the annoying hum is saying please clean me, but who knows.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

As some can see I have come back from my lurking in a dark cave of wonders :). It will be interesting to see how work is on Monday. I say this because, I went in with my dr note, and some people in hr, security had no idea who I was or someone new. Gosh I was onky gone two weeks lol, or three lol.

So this weekend is my last two days to get 6 pumps cleaned lol. Gulp. I guess three each day and time to soak and make things pretty again. It took 24 hours for my gyre to get cleaned and pretty again. It also went quiet, maybe the annoying hum is saying please clean me, but who knows.

Work will be exactly as good as you make it. ;)

Only 6 pumps? Easy peasy! :eek:

Coral Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a story that i never heard of and its somthing that i never imagined. the people above i agree with. if ammonia levels get higher my reccomendation would be a water change. around 10-30 percent or higher really depending on how high the ammonia is. you should also keep an eye on all other water chemistry as it can also be affected

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a story that i never heard of and its somthing that i never imagined. the people above i agree with. if ammonia levels get higher my reccomendation would be a water change. around 10-30 percent or higher really depending on how high the ammonia is. you should also keep an eye on all other water chemistry as it can also be affected

Hello,

Did you mean nitrate? I don’t have any ammonia but I do well have an issue with cyano again. I have changed the flow and that’s not working. In testing my water I have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite, 2-5 ppm nitrate, undectable phosphate, 440 cal and 8-8.5 alk. Again usually cyano starts when I have too many nutrients. I have more than 10x the turn around. Plus I had to move my return lines again because some of my sps polyps wouldn’t extend. It was in the direct area of the cyano, but if I turn down my return pump I’m also losing flow.

@crusso1993 lol I will love work, but it scared me when I went back into work with my dr note and the front lady and security didn’t recognize me. I was only gone like maybe three weeks so lol. Umm I get really quiet and kinda hide when I’m around people I don’t know the face or somewhat. I have never been able to get over it and I actually kinda panic. The first three weeks when I started was omg nice because it’s friendly, but I severely stressed out.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993 lol I will love work, but it scared me when I went back into work with my dr note and the front lady and security didn’t recognize me. I was only gone like maybe three weeks so lol. Umm I get really quiet and kinda hide when I’m around people I don’t know the face or somewhat. I have never been able to get over it and I actually kinda panic. The first three weeks when I started was omg nice because it’s friendly, but I severely stressed out.[/QUOTE]

Identify the original cause of why it scares you. My bet is an event(s) that happened in your childhood. Once identified, it becomes much simpler and sometimes easier to work through. Just a suggestion...

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy your last day of R&R. Are you sure you are ready to go back to work?? I hope they will let you work a light schedule until you are stronger and not ride you hard like a pack mule. You don’t want to end up as the patient again.

Coral Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Did you mean nitrate? I don’t have any ammonia but I do well have an issue with cyano again. I have changed the flow and that’s not working. In testing my water I have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite, 2-5 ppm nitrate, undectable phosphate, 440 cal and 8-8.5 alk. Again usually cyano starts when I have too many nutrients. I have more than 10x the turn around. Plus I had to move my return lines again because some of my sps polyps wouldn’t extend. It was in the direct area of the cyano, but if I turn down my return pump I’m also losing flow.

@crusso1993 lol I will love work, but it scared me when I went back into work with my dr note and the front lady and security didn’t recognize me. I was only gone like maybe three weeks so lol. Umm I get really quiet and kinda hide when I’m around people I don’t know the face or somewhat. I have never been able to get over it and I actually kinda panic. The first three weeks when I started was omg nice because it’s friendly, but I severely stressed out.
if your nitrate is like that and you have coral you should not mess with the nitrate

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy your last day of R&R. Are you sure you are ready to go back to work?? I hope they will let you work a light schedule until you are stronger and not ride you hard like a pack mule. You don’t want to end up as the patient again.

Hello,

Well per my dr note I can only do my normal three 24 hour shifts or 12 hour shifts but must have two days off, until further notice. So hopefully it won’t upset work tooo much, but when I turned it in, I didn’t sense any problems. @Fin is r&r research and refine? Or did you mean R2R like here and if so oh no I will still be on as usual.

@crusso1993 ahh I have been super shy my whole life, and pretty sure that’s it lol. It’s surprisingly difficult, (I have tried), to get past. There are the magnetic doors in order to get certain places etc. when I tried to go to my own office my id badge didn’t work. (Then when (security, asked me who I was lol I said I work here is my id.) then he said I needed to check in with hr which kinda scared me. Then the lady there didn’t even know me. But all they had to do was reprogram my id.

@Coral Storm huh lol. What do you mean? According to my api test kit nitrates range between 2-5ppm but was told they are ballparked. However, they tell me the redsea test kit is exact. But I have a problem with that. I’m told cyano is because I have too many nutrients, well all my sps are doing excellent and same as my lps and softies. So prior my coral hate high nitrates and they definitely show it. But even if true the plus or minus of the test still has to be within the same frame as the redsea.

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993 ahh I have been super shy my whole life, and pretty sure that’s it lol. It’s surprisingly difficult, (I have tried), to get past. There are the magnetic doors in order to get certain places etc. when I tried to go to my own office my id badge didn’t work. (Then when (security, asked me who I was lol I said I work here is my id.) then he said I needed to check in with hr which kinda scared me. Then the lady there didn’t even know me. But all they had to do was reprogram my id.
@Sarah24! - I am unsure if you are familiar with this form of therapy but it has proven to be very effective. Hope you enjoy! ;)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back