Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that’s wild.

Since you don’t do water changes and you have a ton of coral do you dose trace elements? Like Red Sea Trace elements? You said you dose fuel but that’s not really a full panel trace element supplement.

Hello,

Umm sorta I guess would be a good answer lol. I dose alk and calcium daily (have to). I was at 1 tablespoon of each every two days. Now I dose 2.5 tablespoons daily just to keep the alk at 9 and calcium at 440. Mag I just started, when I tested and was at 1250 from the lfs. So I bought the redsea mag concentrated liquid version and burned the instructions (umm twice). Tested today or about four days later and I’m at 1400 which is right there for sps. I started very low so 20 ml day one then 30 day 2 then 40 day 3 then 50 finally then now I’m good so I’ll stop and retest in four days.

I have import export problem so I have to carbon dose, which now I’m back down to 15 ml a day and here soon 10 etc. which this is a daily must or will crash the tank.

Now trace elements I don’t normally do water changes mainly because well it wasted time on my tank. Now with that said I don’t suggest every one jump to my method. I’d rather do the water changes but doing 80 gallons a week and I still had 40 ppm nitrates was killing me.
Now I feed daily, but only five of the frozen little cubes for 15 fish. None of the food will last 15 seconds in the water before they gobble it up. I may need to boost my clean up crew to help break it down faster. I use filter socks and wash every two days, and then micro fiber pads right before return pumps, and twin uv skimmers.

I have strongly considered using the redsea color group as well and what ever else I’m missing for trace elements. I will stick to redsea for some things but if their instructions are anything like on their liquid magnesium they are so fired. So far corals grow like crazy, and doing good so I’m making slow changes because I kinda don’t wanna crash what I have. I don’t think my s300 eshopps skimmer is handling the work load. It’s the only one that would fit and says bioload up to 300 gallons heavy up to 200. Well I’m at probably 200 roughly, and with out carbon dosing I’d be 40ppm nitrates constantly.

So options, move everything to the 425 and start over, with a massive skimmer where id go 300 gallons over. But moving and transferring tanks I just hate. If the 240 wasn’t doing so well I’d just take the risk and do it. However, it is doing amazing (yes it has some minor problems) but for 16 months old it’s outstanding. The tank still probably needs to mature a little more. With that said, I will have to bite the bullet and just manage it. I don’t have enough room to swap skimmers or sumps out at all. I have no room to add a doser or not alone the bottles needed. As a point of fact lol @saltyfilmfolks i did clean the calcium reactor today but still won’t fit. Heaters, uv and skimmer take up a lot of space and I run twin returns. I have thought about doing a four stage canister filter. Been chewing on it, have some chambers for catching stuff and carbon media etc. yet that is simply an idea, and kind of a bad one. I really need to research it more, but wow this became long suddenly. If I ever get married my spouse will fall asleep on me. Anyway I do swap out like 15 gallons to 30 gallons to help with some trace elements but I have to dose.

I use fuel just to help the corals on some things but I feed them marine snow when hungry but stopped when the cyano blew out of control. So now I will either do that or reef roids for the corals. Boosting the alk to 9 or even 10 may not be such a bad idea, because it has really helped my sps. Now some softies and lps hate the low nitrates, so I wanna see if I can manage between 5ppm and 10 ppm with no darn cyano. I have found that 95% of my tank does better with some of that waste in there.

@NY_Caveman lol yes my hair was tied up and kinda thrown into a sloppy bun. It failed miserably and as I had both rocks in both hands lol hanging over the side with one foot on my step ladder, my hair just fell out into the tank. I looked like a wet dog that was sprayed with a fire hose. Then I had to put the rocks back lol and stupid fish thought I was seaweed and kinda yanked on it, (gonna serve them with chips soon). I didn’t have a towel handy well a big one. So I kinda ran to the laundry room and about fell down the hallway. Grabbed a towel and wrapped my hair up in it and then cleaned my floor up. Oh then I had the towel still wrapped around my hair and I had to move the rocks, stupid towel falls out and lands in the tank. That was fun (yeah let’s do that again). Not only was my hair soaked once again, but err so was the towels. I then went for blanket I had on the couch. Dried off, (couldn’t outside was pouring rain,) but then cleaned again but had rocks and coral back in place. Took forever to get everything out of my hair, and some reason really dries my hair out. So it took forever to recondition my hair. I was close to shaving all my hair off lol oh I was close. Love it but some days doing work on my tank with it, really makes it just hard.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman lol yes my hair was tied up and kinda thrown into a sloppy bun. It failed miserably and as I had both rocks in both hands lol hanging over the side with one foot on my step ladder, my hair just fell out into the tank. I looked like a wet dog that was sprayed with a fire hose. Then I had to put the rocks back lol and stupid fish thought I was seaweed and kinda yanked on it, (gonna serve them with chips soon). I didn’t have a towel handy well a big one. So I kinda ran to the laundry room and about fell down the hallway. Grabbed a towel and wrapped my hair up in it and then cleaned my floor up. Oh then I had the towel still wrapped around my hair and I had to move the rocks, stupid towel falls out and lands in the tank. That was fun (yeah let’s do that again). Not only was my hair soaked once again, but err so was the towels. I then went for blanket I had on the couch. Dried off, (couldn’t outside was pouring rain,) but then cleaned again but had rocks and coral back in place. Took forever to get everything out of my hair, and some reason really dries my hair out. So it took forever to recondition my hair. I was close to shaving all my hair off lol oh I was close. Love it but some days doing work on my tank with it, really makes it just hard.
That was fantastic. I am at work and you provided me with a hardy laugh. Thanks for sharing all the details. The fish pulling your hair was my favorite part.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was fantastic. I am at work and you provided me with a hardy laugh. Thanks for sharing all the details. The fish pulling your hair was my favorite part.

Hello,

Yeah lol the days of having long hair sometimes just doesn’t pay off. If it didn’t take so darn long to grow it long again well I would lol cut it short. But then I would feel super weird or exposed I’d be lacking something I could hide behind.’

@norfolkgarden lol sorry if I kinda made you spew coffee on your laptop or worse yourself. This week lol has been bloody hell, and it’s only Monday lol. But oh well life still goes on lol. I ahhh totally declined and would not give my number lol. It was really I guess awkward to me sense I am normally socially quiet. But who would pay or give something for dinner lol that just sounds like hey I’m gonna abduct you if you like food it will make this task much easier for me (care for some Fries lol). Maybe it’s just me lol and I’m socially inept but still he wanted five dinner dates lol. Plus I work half of those anyway, besides my defense could be care for some hospital food, that will scare anyone away.

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s just me lol and I’m socially inept but still he wanted five dinner dates lol.

Nah, that's just a creepy dude, you definitely made the right call.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello,

Lol yeah I’m with you on that and it didn’t help much that he had the Hannibal the cannibal lector voice. “Sarah would you like to enjoy some special French fries with me” omg no not going there lol.

So onto less errr creepy dealings but I promised pics since I changed my tank. I do like the change so far, and well my softies do not like the change at all. Hmmm I’m kinda oh well, but if they struggle I will trade them. Probably just mad a tad but they were taking up really good spot and causing problems. Now with out delay here are new pics with my iPhone on normal brights, so the pics and colors kinda well (they bloody suck ) but oh well. I will say some of my lps and softies really do not like the low low nitrates.
Need to find a happy balance, which is usually the 2-5 ppm but I need a test that is a limit more exact than api. (How far off can it be I mean honestly unless the tester fails doing proper testing etc).

It is really to see that my tank went from bare to a full reef in 16 months roughly. That I keep seeing it grow and becoming its own system. I do try to leave my hands out of it, gets hard when I have to trim corals lol.

15AF6743-4537-413F-88E2-E2F1639296D7.jpeg

A79FB05D-428D-4C24-88D5-9C9FC0B24175.jpeg

CEEB6D59-1875-4243-8E9B-BA5EE4CA7CEC.jpeg

964581DC-14E9-40A8-9E6E-B045DE10066E.jpeg

51787F27-C7A4-4379-83F5-06B0443906EB.jpeg

C7726E82-C48A-40AE-82A7-E03842A3440D.jpeg

089B6873-A35A-4BCA-9E88-161B1335A5FF.jpeg

B6C8A72A-E1E0-459F-83DB-F589E01EFE3E.jpeg

460D0899-915F-485F-95BA-EF5C8A4933BD.jpeg

C13FE20A-7E62-4C5A-92D9-E52A699D5C75.jpeg

59737D4B-D4AE-4E1A-93F9-BABE4B79853C.jpeg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really never is a dull moment around your house, is there? Maybe get yourself a shower cap to keep all that long hair in place. And just what species of fishes eats hair? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Your tank is looking incredible!!

Hello,

Wow thank you it means a lot to me, I have always wanted to have just a beautiful reef. There are many many beautiful reefs and I love them all. What I truly find aspiring is when one can see so many beautiful gorgeous reefs but able to go home and sit in front of theirs and still be in awe. I have never wanted the best reef, just a simple peaceful reef. I love the ocean dearly, and this is also one way of me being closer to it.

@NY_Caveman thank you so much for the kind words. I will say yours is just as magical and makes have that magical moment when you watch them.

lol I have missed you dearly @Fin and tangs love love long silky smooth conditioned hair. But it has to be the long silky hair that shines with wal mart cheap brand shampoo and conditioner lol that’s the trick. As much as I hate to admit, I really do try to live a boring life lol. I so hope your doing well, because so much time has passed memories must provide. I hope your family is well.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s just me lol and I’m socially inept but still he wanted five dinner dates lol.
5 dinner dates for a nice salt water system? That would be fine. 5 dates for a small fresh water setup? I agree.. creepy dude... good call!!! :p

Not to mention you don't drink so you can't even use alcohol to run the bill up so far he doesn't want the 2nd date! ;)

I do like the change so far, and well my softies do not like the change at all.
Tank is looking great!!!
Mixed reefs are a challenge. The flow you need to make the SPS thrive can be too much for the softies. My tank is much less "mixed" than yours and I still fight this issue. I need to find places sheltered from current for my softies and LPS that still get enough light. When I upped my flow a few months ago my SPS loved it. It killed off my GSP.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I have missed you dearly @Fin and tangs love love long silky smooth conditioned hair. But it has to be the long silky hair that shines with wal mart cheap brand shampoo and conditioner lol that’s the trick. As much as I hate to admit, I really do try to live a boring life lol. I so hope your doing well, because so much time has passed memories must provide. I hope your family is well.
I am still around. Family is doing ok. Thanks. It's just that your tank is doing a whole lot better than mine, so when you are talking tank, you don't really need my input. Now when something goofy happens and requires and unintelligent humorous remark from the Peanut Gallery (referencing The Howdy Doody Show from well before your time), I am your guy. :D

So you mentioned about half a thread ago that you were thinking about cutting your hair. I am assuming you decided against it (so far), but maybe with your job, busy schedule, inability to tie a tight bun to keep your mane out of the salt water - perhaps you should reconsider? :p It will grow back if you feel insecure without it. Perhaps we should do a poll? :)

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still around. Family is doing ok. Thanks. It's just that your tank is doing a whole lot better than mine, so when you are talking tank, you don't really need my input. Now when something goofy happens and requires and unintelligent humorous remark from the Peanut Gallery (referencing The Howdy Doody Show from well before your time), I am your guy. :D

So you mentioned about half a thread ago that you were thinking about cutting your hair. I am assuming you decided against it (so far), but maybe with your job, busy schedule, inability to tie a tight bun to keep your mane out of the salt water - perhaps you should reconsider? :p It will grow back if you feel insecure without it. Perhaps we should do a poll? :)

Hello,

Lol you know when I say cut my hair I mean I’m gonna look like Charlie Brown and his peanuts lol. It’s where I come out looking like ohhhh uh GI Jane lol.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol you know when I say cut my hair I mean I’m gonna look like Charlie Brown and his peanuts lol. It’s where I come out looking like ohhhh uh GI Jane lol.
So I will take that as a NO! Ha!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will take that as a NO! Ha!

Hello,

As much as it gets in the way and it’s pretty heavy, I’d never cut my hair that short lol. It would be like me trying to eat food but my mouth won’t open so all I do is make a mess. Although it would have some interesting perks for about two days. I think my co workers and family would freak out and like at me like I just decided to skate board down the interstate during rush hour.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I came home today and was shocked my Maximus clam had died. I’m kinda stunned because he never had the Shell opened very much, but always had the mantle out. This whole week he responded with movement and he moved his mantle. When I came home there was pretty much nothing left but the shell. I’m curious if I dropped my nutrients too low (getting rid of cyano that he starved). As of just the other day he still had great color. For the first time I have no idea why that would happen.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back