Urgh seriously.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I came home today and was shocked my Maximus clam had died. I’m kinda stunned because he never had the Shell opened very much, but always had the mantle out. This whole week he responded with movement and he moved his mantle. When I came home there was pretty much nothing left but the shell. I’m curious if I dropped my nutrients too low (getting rid of cyano that he starved). As of just the other day he still had great color. For the first time I have no idea why that would happen.
Was it a case of predation?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I came home today and was shocked my Maximus clam had died. I’m kinda stunned because he never had the Shell opened very much, but always had the mantle out. This whole week he responded with movement and he moved his mantle. When I came home there was pretty much nothing left but the shell. I’m curious if I dropped my nutrients too low (getting rid of cyano that he starved). As of just the other day he still had great color. For the first time I have no idea why that would happen.
Sorry to hear that. I was curious if it was struggling after the last batch of pictures you posted. Sorry to hear it didn’t make it :( they need alotttt of light, and you use filter socks don’t you? They like particulates.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stop with the UGGGGGG ..

Its spring time.Get out and. ahh.

Ohh My Van is in the shop for Maintenance and minor repairs .I reserved a Rental Truck for the days i will be without my BABY (VAN) I get there and they give me the Keys to this TOY . Its a Nisson Frontier 2 door car with a open trunk.. They obviously do not know what a REAL Truck is.

My Biggest complaints. the Seats Do not have build in ARM REST.. Who does this...

Ohh hi everyone...

Hope you all are well , happy and Only half as busy as me. Its freaking unbelievable Work Work Work Work

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stop with the UGGGGGG ..

Its spring time.Get out and. ahh.

Ohh My Van is in the shop for Maintenance and minor repairs .I reserved a Rental Truck for the days i will be without my BABY (VAN) I get there and they give me the Keys to this TOY . Its a Nisson Frontier 2 door car with a open trunk.. They obviously do not know what a REAL Truck is.

My Biggest complaints. the Seats Do not have build in ARM REST.. Who does this...

Ohh hi everyone...

Hope you all are well , happy and Only half as busy as me. Its freaking unbelievable Work Work Work Work
Who is the Erica-Renee poster? :) Nice to see you are still alive and making money!

Last edited:

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry about the clam. They are not the easiest things to keep. Did you check for pyramid snails? They are small white snails, smaller than a grain of rice. I have had a derasa or two over the years. They are a little hardier, but not as brightly colored as the maximas.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry kinda had issues with my (not so smart phone). In terms with my clam I have not a single clue what went wrong. The clam was or has been in my tank for close 1.5 years. Just a few days prior he was out and happy but I noticed a huge difference when I changed my flow. It made him very angry so I moved things back.

Once it was back in place, he came back out into the sun. Then I moved my huge leather (just him on his own rock) which gave the clam more light. Within two days the entire Shell was empty, but he was back to normal right before I made the change. I’m curious if I stressed him out by moving some rocks around. I guess this is a great lesson on why I should leave my hands out of the tank. I feel horrible he was the kinda the center of my tank and looks bare with out him. I will get another one, but as far as predation goes hmmm maybe crabs, I don’t know honestly. My fish I never see eating or picking corals. Pretty sure I don’t have pyramid snails and since they generally feed on them hopefully they all die. As far as food wise nutrients should not have mattered because he was close to five inches. He was more photosynthesis than nutrients. My water parameters are spot on and even sps are doing better. Not knowing will bug me for a long time. He didn’t even have the Shell open and always reacted to movement. Hmmmm

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Sorry kinda had issues with my (not so smart phone). In terms with my clam I have not a single clue what went wrong. The clam was or has been in my tank for close 1.5 years. Just a few days prior he was out and happy but I noticed a huge difference when I changed my flow. It made him very angry so I moved things back.

Once it was back in place, he came back out into the sun. Then I moved my huge leather (just him on his own rock) which gave the clam more light. Within two days the entire Shell was empty, but he was back to normal right before I made the change. I’m curious if I stressed him out by moving some rocks around. I guess this is a great lesson on why I should leave my hands out of the tank. I feel horrible he was the kinda the center of my tank and looks bare with out him. I will get another one, but as far as predation goes hmmm maybe crabs, I don’t know honestly. My fish I never see eating or picking corals. Pretty sure I don’t have pyramid snails and since they generally feed on them hopefully they all die. As far as food wise nutrients should not have mattered because he was close to five inches. He was more photosynthesis than nutrients. My water parameters are spot on and even sps are doing better. Not knowing will bug me for a long time. He didn’t even have the Shell open and always reacted to movement. Hmmmm
Maybe your leds are starting to fade, like you said he’s mainly photosynthetic now. Weren’t you running current USA lights too? Those are low par to begin with. Maybe borrow a par meter for peace of mind.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your leds are starting to fade, like you said he’s mainly photosynthetic now. Weren’t you running current USA lights too? Those are low par to begin with. Maybe borrow a par meter for peace of mind.

Hello,

Lol same idea I had but I had it backwards. When I moved the rock with my huge leather on it, I was averaging 290-300 par with my ly-cor 1500 par meter. Re did it and now I’m closer to 400, in that same spot. Plus if my leds were losing par my sps would show also and they are growing like crazy. I think if I had left the flow alone and rock work alone it would still be alive. Somehow I stressed it too much or something preyed in it. It was nice s beautiful and had the full mantel out the day I made the change. Then the next day it was literally an empty shell. It didn’t even give me signs of it was getting sick. The only thing I noticed was that it didn’t open the Shell as far but still had the full mantle out. It responded to me moving my hands over the clam to see reaction time. Sadly the arrows are kinda pointing at me for having my hands in the tank. Moving the leather I assumed was a great idea because things would not get shaded so much. It had a huge backwards effect, except for all the sps but one has really sparked up. I hate when things go south but don’t know why.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol same idea I had but I had it backwards. When I moved the rock with my huge leather on it, I was averaging 290-300 par with my ly-cor 1500 par meter. Re did it and now I’m closer to 400, in that same spot. Plus if my leds were losing par my sps would show also and they are growing like crazy. I think if I had left the flow alone and rock work alone it would still be alive. Somehow I stressed it too much or something preyed in it. It was nice s beautiful and had the full mantel out the day I made the change. Then the next day it was literally an empty shell. It didn’t even give me signs of it was getting sick. The only thing I noticed was that it didn’t open the Shell as far but still had the full mantle out. It responded to me moving my hands over the clam to see reaction time. Sadly the arrows are kinda pointing at me for having my hands in the tank. Moving the leather I assumed was a great idea because things would not get shaded so much. It had a huge backwards effect, except for all the sps but one has really sparked up. I hate when things go south but don’t know why.
Aw I feel you :( I wish it would of been something simple :( keep your head up, stuff happens :(

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It’s been a busy morning at work but on a food break yay and well eating some food :) if brownies are considered such as :).

I have started also using the Red Sea trace elements to help replenish my trace elements in my water. As much as I hate water changes it’s kinda required. Maybe if I just do 25 gallons every week or two that will also help in just the tank being overall healthy.

It’s amazing how when it’s finally nice and just warm out, we find ourselves way more active. I can’t say I have not per say been lazy but it is nice to lounge around lol. On the other hand, getting outside I have found makes (well me have substantially more energy). Looks like I’m gonna be outside for awhile. My older brother wants to teach me how to fly remote control helicopters (literally the size of me). I tried on this computer/simulator thing he has and crashed every time within seconds lol. Hmmm are they truly this hard to fly?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It’s been a busy morning at work but on a food break yay and well eating some food :) if brownies are considered such as :).

I have started also using the Red Sea trace elements to help replenish my trace elements in my water. As much as I hate water changes it’s kinda required. Maybe if I just do 25 gallons every week or two that will also help in just the tank being overall healthy.

It’s amazing how when it’s finally nice and just warm out, we find ourselves way more active. I can’t say I have not per say been lazy but it is nice to lounge around lol. On the other hand, getting outside I have found makes (well me have substantially more energy). Looks like I’m gonna be outside for awhile. My older brother wants to teach me how to fly remote control helicopters (literally the size of me). I tried on this computer/simulator thing he has and crashed every time within seconds lol. Hmmm are they truly this hard to fly?
Depends. Helicopters are hard, I have one. Drones are so easy an infant could do it, and they do!

Good call on starting trace elements, I’ve noticed a lot of improvement since starting that.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. Helicopters are hard, I have one. Drones are so easy an infant could do it, and they do!

Good call on starting trace elements, I’ve noticed a lot of improvement since starting that.

Hello,

I texted my brother on what kind he has or id learn on, and he said it’s goblin 770 whatever that is but said he has to radios and he can take over as soon as I get in trouble. All I know is they are huge and crazy fast. But he said because I have really precise hand control it should be easy for me to learn. But we will see lol, I have seen the drones before and have one to my oldest nephew and he flew in a matter of an hour. Not sure how much the helicopters are but my brother said they fly identical to a real one which is kinda neat. He said the positive thing is when these crash, there are seldom human casualties lol.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I texted my brother on what kind he has or id learn on, and he said it’s goblin 770 whatever that is but said he has to radios and he can take over as soon as I get in trouble. All I know is they are huge and crazy fast. But he said because I have really precise hand control it should be easy for me to learn. But we will see lol, I have seen the drones before and have one to my oldest nephew and he flew in a matter of an hour. Not sure how much the helicopters are but my brother said they fly identical to a real one which is kinda neat. He said the positive thing is when these crash, there are seldom human casualties lol.
Oh wow! Yea those are huge and super quick! Much harder than a drone to fly but deffinetly more fun! Lol. You should hook a wench up to it and give yourself a new mode of transportation! That would be awesome! Hahah

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what you need - another hobby! :) Speaking of extra hobbies, how is the 425 going? Is it on hold now? Seems like I remember you saying you were having the manufacturer hold up on it.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I was getting into this on @Katrina71 thread but didn’t want to derail it, so I copied one of my post to mine about drinking alcohol:
Lol ahhh now the light clicks on when I ask those who are brought to me and I ask them if it tastes so horrible why drink it tell you bloody fall over lol. They have never told me they mask it with other drinks, just always say drank too much and well I hit the desk and now I’m here in the er umm can you dr get me a drink. Well I can have one of the assistants get you some water. No dr I meant like a normal drink lol. I’m sorry but we can’t do that here and I don’t suggest you drink for a long time since you have or very close to alcohol poisoning. Ahhh doc don’t be such a square I’m fine can I check out now? This is as we are still stalling that persons head and checking for other injuries lol.

I have always find it interesting, people’s choices. I can’t really say don’t and not by any means are they all the same. My parents drink the same things listed here or that others have mentioned but (not ever to a level where they go to the er). But as silly as it may sound I’m wondering like if I was ever able to drink, I’m curious as to how much it would take. Granted I’m less than 90 pounds so far less than some, but some friends said very very little, yet it takes sooo much for them and yes they have a tolerance to some of it. But always wondered that and what peanut butter tastes like since I’m allergic to that also.

Now I have heard definitely my share of 50,000 versions of what it’s like to be intoxicated, and medically yes I get it. But I still have a hard time understanding because it’s not something I can relate to. Yes I can’t relate to lots of other things either but they have a much more clear cut of what it’s like and I definitely get the point lol. This and oh the love of peanut butter I have difficulty with lol understanding and what it tastes like.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what you need - another hobby! :) Speaking of extra hobbies, how is the 425 going? Is it on hold now? Seems like I remember you saying you were having the manufacturer hold up on it.

Hello,

It’s ready to ship but is on hold just till I was better and had my 240 back under control. As it gets a tad warmer I will then probably have them ship it. What’s comforting is they said I could take my time since I wasn’t ready to set it up quite yet. At the same time I haven’t decided if I’m staying in the home I’m in now or buying a new one. I would rather move that thing once. Even empty and boxed it takes a soccer team to pick it up. Which makes sense to me at least, and it’s already been paid for. They have been understanding as to why (obviously can’t wait a year etc) but I also just don’t wanna take a risk moving that thing twice. Too many things could go wrong.

@Hemmdog Oh wow! Yea those are huge and super quick! Much harder than a drone to fly but deffinetly more fun! Lol. You should hook a wench up to it and give yourself a new mode of transportation! That would be awesome! Hahah

Yes they are huge and he flies them super fast and does tricks with them. I think he is out of control and he says it’s 3D flying lol. But he attracts oh soo many people when he does fly.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It’s ready to ship but is on hold just till I was better and had my 240 back under control. As it gets a tad warmer I will then probably have them ship it. What’s comforting is they said I could take my time since I wasn’t ready to set it up quite yet. At the same time I haven’t decided if I’m staying in the home I’m in now or buying a new one. I would rather move that thing once. Even empty and boxed it takes a soccer team to pick it up. Which makes sense to me at least, and it’s already been paid for. They have been understanding as to why (obviously can’t wait a year etc) but I also just don’t wanna take a risk moving that thing twice. Too many things could go wrong.

Very cool that they're so nice and willing to work with you about delivery options!

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool that they're so nice and willing to work with you about delivery options!

Hello,

Yes they have been amazing and understanding. Plus I need to decide if I wanna leave it protected and sitting in my third car garage and or have a full team ready to move it inside. Which may be a pain later because i have a stand being built but it’s not done because well life happened lol. But I’m sure I can get that moving or done quickly. He has made a smaller version of mine that I have recently seen, so will post pics of it. It should be great for what I’m doing with the larger tank :) and having access to it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back