Urgh seriously.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The one year mark or anniversary of my thread is in a few days. Should I be worried that my nephews may use my sump as a toilet again? Any takers lol.
Let’s hope not, lol.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy B day Sarah's thread. I about died from laughter when I read the very first post !

next time those Brats show up threaten them with rubber bands !

Hello,

@cracker lol oh you always make me laugh and I always hope to make you smile and laugh as well. See rubber bands would be to slow and I’d have to twist them up. I was thinking about those huge clamps where squeeze them and snap the job is done. Of course need to find ones that I can easily compress lol. Mouse traps would be awesome also specially if it’s dark and what not, nothing like a quick snap of a spring.

Naw their event gave me some instant stress but outcome was a whole bunch of amazing people so I’m glad.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Yes they have been amazing and understanding. Plus I need to decide if I wanna leave it protected and sitting in my third car garage and or have a full team ready to move it inside. Which may be a pain later because i have a stand being built but it’s not done because well life happened lol. But I’m sure I can get that moving or done quickly. He has made a smaller version of mine that I have recently seen, so will post pics of it. It should be great for what I’m doing with the larger tank :) and having access to it.
I don't understand how you can keep a system looking as good as yours does without automation. I think you are busier than me and I have automated as much as possible to keep the tank manageable and stable. I think an Apex or GHL controller, and a salt water mixing station, would make your life much easier!

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol and put up signs that say the bathrooms are under construction per @Erica-Renee :) (sorry have missed ya). I think I can make some good lemonade or koolaid.
Your being Weird... I am still around Been super busy and on top of that my Van is in the Garage since Wednesday to get a Oil Leak Fixed and its 200k servicing..I have a Rental but its not the same because i am afraid of scratching the STUPID THING..

My schedule right now.. I am renovating a 3 bedroom 2 story home that was stuck in the late 40s.. Huge project moving some walls Two of which hold the house up (huge beams installed) Have a Huge painting Job To do this week and a 1200 sq ft hard wood flooring project first of next week. Along with a Custom Wood Exterior siding project that must be completed by end of April.

I need to hire 3 people but good Remodel Carpenters Are Like Digging up Dinosaurs in your back yard .New Construction people are everyone Begging for work thou.

I will try to be around once in a while ....

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand how you can keep a system looking as good as yours does without automation. I think you are busier than me and I have automated as much as possible to keep the tank manageable and stable. I think an Apex or GHL controller, and a salt water mixing station, would make your life much easier!

Hello,

Lol I don’t either but when I’m off work I don’t really go any where or have kids etc. So it’s not terrible but does get hard while at work. I didn’t try apex because 90% of my items won’t work on it I’m told. The auto doser is starting to look friendly now because I’m dosing alk cal mag and all trace elements now daily which is 8 items. Most dosers I see have four inputs for dosing. So would need two or a large one and need to find space in my stand to place them.

Getting things in and out of my sump or stand is not lol easy. But definitely getting crazy and my corals are growing so much they are shading the center. So this is the first time I have turned the whites on the center light. Either I run that or turn the lights up more, but worried I will cook my corals also.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The auto doser is starting to look friendly now because I’m dosing alk cal mag and all trace elements now daily which is 8 items
I feel your pain! How much, and what type, of Alk and Calc are you dosing?

I'm on the edge of buying my 3rd 4 head doser so I can dose trace elements or just dealing with it until I can justify buying a calcium reactor. I don't think my Alk and Calc demand is high enough yet for a calcium reactor to be stable but I worry that it is high enough that I should be regularly adding trace elements.
If there is one thing I really like about GHL over Apex it is that the dosers have 4 heads. Granted, 3 of the 8 heads I currently use are for the Alk monitor but I would need at least 3 Apex DOS for what I use right now and another 2 to do trace elements.
I do like the Apex interface better than the GHL. Like so many things in this hobby, each has their pros and cons.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I use the seachem alk and calcium which is a powder, and my tank is up to almost 2 tablespoons a day now. I use the redsea magnesium and have the lfs shop (but only the person I trust now) to do it, and I start super low with that. So when I found I was 100 ppm down plus maybe 150 I dosed with 20ml then 30 then 40 then 50. After 50 I tested and was right at 1390-1400 range. It took a week and I literally ignored and threw their instructions away. They are terrible and extremely confusing and I am honestly surprised people haven’t crashed their tanks by using those specific directions.

Using the redsea trace elements was about as bad but was manageable if you know math. So I based my tank on 200 gallons of water (give or take). Then their supplements are based on the amount of calcium in your tank. So 2 tablespoons is about 100 grams, converted to liquid is right about 2ml of each per day. Now since I’m only at 1.5 tablespoons now I’m doing 1 ml per day but on Tuesday and Thursday and Saturday it’s 1.5 ml to make the difference up. I have to admit I have now gone to a journal per say about the dosing and where I am at normally. I record every element that I test and compare it and go from there.

Now the tricky one is the noprox no3no4 from redsea, actually good directions well for me. This works very well, but there is a draw back. That is, once you start it at all there really is no going back. The living organisms in your tank or corals animals etc, (probably not fish), or invertebrates but definitely corals, become addicted to the noprox. If one were to stop suddenly it would be like a human who has smoked for 50 years just quits, or a better example would be medication like prednisone and or benzodiazepines which have life long withdrawal symptoms (even years after one had been off they still do), noprox is similar. It’s no worse than vodka dosing (per say making your tank intoxicated or drunk or addicted to alcohol). Ever wonder why when someone stops dosing the noprox or vodka and or vinegar (isn’t as bad but don’t hear much on that version), things go south fast. That’s one of the main reasons because they are similar to an addictive drug for humans. Even when I’m in my zone for nitrates, the bare min even at 2ppm is 16ml a day and I was able to get down to 8, but then I had a massive cyano breakout afterwards. Things and some coral went south, then I reduced back up to normal when nitrates are high which is 30ml, and in a week cyano, all hair algae is literally gone. Some tiny strands stick around, but then I found that 16-20 a day ml works fairly well.

In terms of water changes per this method I would always do water changes first always. But even with me doing 80 gallons a week, my nitrates stayed at 20-30ppm. Sometimes jumped to 40 and I started to have sps die after a few months. I was also dumb enough to skip a month of water changes because my lfs said our sps tank does great at 50ppm (and lol it does it’s strange), buttttt the sps in that tank are use to it and need it. So it doesn’t affect them as much as when I tried and looked really dumb.

But like today I came home on lunch break and found my power was out. It was out for three hours and then was curious why my generator was not on. Come to find out my neighbor shut it off, so their baby could sleep. It was shut off and I turned it back on, and they knocked on my door and asked to shut it off and they shut it off earlier. (Despite them going into my fenced backyard through the gate), that’s locked so over the fence. I simply told them I can’t, my salt water tank would die. So far everything seems fine lol except they are mad at me (and the power is on) but they came over again and said it couldn’t happen again. In terms of being polite I just said please stay out of my yard, there is a lock on my gate for a reason. But so far things seem fine and corals are looking happier (polyp extension wise) with the third light running white and blue. The coral was shading others way too much from growth, so this fixes the problem till they grow even more. Which then I will need to cut and trim a lot away.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to have your livestock professionally appraised.
Write up a letter from a lawyer with that information and have it signature required delivered to your 'wonderful' neighbors.
And the offer of a lawsuit to that amount if they damage your tank.

Plan B is a Honda "suitcase" generator. Not sure of your exact power needs, but they are pretty decent and ridiculously quiet.

Our knock off suitcase will power the fridge, freezer and our lame tank equipment with no problem on 'run', not 'eco idle' .

Have cycled both the freezer and fridge/freezer opening all doors repeatedly with no issues.

Lol, bet your tank equipment draws more but you get the idea.

If they still complain about a suitcase generator, start with suing them then work forwards until they move. :)

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She will need to use the generator with the automatic transfer switch to turn on and turn off the power back to the line. She is gone at work too much. Don’t the ones you are talking about have to be turned on manually?
Yes, I believe they do.

They are super quiet but not perfect. [emoji17]

How about a small shed with baffles on the cranky neighbor side.

Hate to 'reward' them for anything but...

Small kids kinda get precident but only so much.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the same note. I got a deal on 20KW Kohler with extra battery and transfer switch with automatic on. I’m driving to Pittsburgh tomorrow after lunch to pick it up. I lost a few things in my 29 biocube with the 5 day outage back in November. Next crisis averted ...hopefully. It’s Ky we have hamster wheels for power generators sooooooo

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the same note. I got a deal on 20KW Kohler with extra battery and transfer switch with automatic on. I’m driving to Pittsburgh tomorrow after lunch to pick it up. I lost a few things in my 29 biocube with the 5 day outage back in November. Next crisis averted ...hopefully. It’s Ky we have hamster wheels for power generators sooooooo

Hello,

Omg do you know how many hamster wheels and hamsters it would take to run my tank lol. Mine is from my dads house and it turns on auto and off and runs just the tank. It will run the fridge also and other things probably. But it’s gasoline and not super quiet. I do feel that kiddos should sleep etc but it was middle of the day. I’m super quiet and definitely not happy they jumped my fense.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Omg do you know how many hamster wheels and hamsters it would take to run my tank lol. Mine is from my dads house and it turns on auto and off and runs just the tank. It will run the fridge also and other things probably. But it’s gasoline and not super quiet. I do feel that kiddos should sleep etc but it was middle of the day. I’m super quiet and definitely not happy they jumped my fense.

Yes not cool! And not legal! It is never good or fun to have neighbor issues. [emoji1317]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back